Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Is my Windows 7 FRIED?? Everything is fast forward

• Please log in to reply
10 replies to this topic

#1 Kabo0m

Kabo0m

• Members
  • 97 posts
  •  
  • Local time:05:18 AM

Posted 31 May 2014 - 01:07 AM

When I came home I turned it on and booted it up .. or at least tried ... I got as far as the login screen and when I tried to put in my password .. hitting 1 letter already filled the whole line with asterisks..

So since I was unable to login I logged into another account that was not administrative and had no password. I got to the Windows loading screen and the Win7 logo was flashing super fast instead of its normal slow fade in and out pattern. Also I noticed the green circle "wait" mouse pointer was spinning real fast instead of its slow normal rotation.

I tool note of all these things. I tried to reboot into safemode but then I couldn't use the mouse or keyboard. I plugged a spare keyboard into the PS2 port with an adapter and started it up again .. and it did not recognize that .. I have still not been able to get into Windows .. After 4 tries I gave up not knowing what
do.

I talked to a friend on Skype and he said it sounds like it fried and that I am screwed. And that a short could have traveled through the Ethernet Cable or the speakers..

I am open to things to try ..

I am posting this from a really slow Aspire ONE netbook with 1 Gb of ram .. and a page with too many images gets it to come to a stand still .. I want my gaming rig back but .. I think it is fried .. so for now I am stuck with this netbook. Help? What happened??

Edited by hamluis, 31 May 2014 - 08:09 AM.
Moved from Win 7 to Internal Hardware - Hamluis.

DESKTOP - Main Rig:   Passmark & Mobo  (Manual) &  my Speccy (Video card is Radeon 7770) & 4Gb DDR2 RAM
NETBOOK:   PC: Acer Aspire ONE (D250 10.1")    //   CPU: Intel® Atom CPU N270 @ 1.60GHz   RAM: 2.0 GB  DDR2
Video Card: Intel® GMA 950 (256Mb)     OS:   Windows 7 Starter 32-bit SP1

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 Roodo

Roodo

• Members
  • 760 posts
  •  
  • Local time:03:18 AM

Posted 31 May 2014 - 10:11 AM

seems like beverage spilled on keyboard. Was the first one also a PS2 connection? might try and borrow usb keyboard mouse combo and

give it a try

#3 Kabo0m

Kabo0m
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 97 posts
  •  

Posted 02 June 2014 - 08:19 AM

seems like beverage spilled on keyboard. Was the first one also a PS2 connection? might try and borrow usb keyboard mouse combo and

give it a try

No that isn't it. But I do realize I forgot to mention that The building I live in was working on the power (turned it off and put in a new main cercuit breaker in the main floor on this apartment building). I had turned my computer off as well as I have a back up power supply (UPS). I did not turn off the switch in the back of the computer case power supply unit and I also did not have the ethernet cable through the UPS.  I came home and turned it on and that is when I discovered everything was messed up even though they were done working on the electricity for 3 hours before I came home.

DESKTOP - Main Rig:   Passmark & Mobo  (Manual) &  my Speccy (Video card is Radeon 7770) & 4Gb DDR2 RAM
NETBOOK:   PC: Acer Aspire ONE (D250 10.1")    //   CPU: Intel® Atom CPU N270 @ 1.60GHz   RAM: 2.0 GB  DDR2

#4 JohnC_21

JohnC_21

• Members
  • 23,976 posts
  •  

Posted 02 June 2014 - 09:38 AM

You could rule out hardware issues like non-funtioning keyboard and mouse, Ethernet also, by downloading a small Linux distro like Puppy. Download the 5.2.8 iso and burn a CD, If you cannot do that, you can use Rufus to create a bootable USB flash drive. Boot the CD or Flash drive and if you can access the internet via Ethernet or Wireless and use your keyboard/mouse, your Windows 7 is corrupted.

#5 wpgwpg

wpgwpg

• Members
  • 1,149 posts
  •  

Posted 02 June 2014 - 10:18 AM

I had a similar problem with a desktop PC just a few days ago.  I bought a cheap USB keyboard for $4 and swapped it with the old one.  Voila, problem solved.  YMMV, but it's certainly worth $4 to see.

Good luck.

Everyone with a computer should back his system up to an external hard drive regularly.  :thumbsup:

#6 zingo156

zingo156

• BC Advisor
  • 3,333 posts
  •  
  • Local time:04:18 AM

Posted 02 June 2014 - 01:04 PM

You may have a stuck key on the keyboard. I recommend unplugging all usb devices and plug in a different keyboard as a first test.

If I am helping you with a problem and I have not responded within 48 hours please send me a PM.

#7 Kabo0m

Kabo0m
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 97 posts
  •  

Posted 03 June 2014 - 07:37 AM

Well having it off for 2 days my friend finally came over who works on my computer (he has had no official schooling but just self-taught so I like to ask others for advice on here). I turned it on to show him and it was not doing what it had done previously. Everything seems back to normal except somethings were screwed up that I was able to fix. Nothing major so far. Still going to upgrade with what my friend has offered me though.

Did a new benchmark test and the comparison .. is it normal to have this much of a difference or does it have to do with what ever happened to my computer a few days ago? And also, no, nothing was on the keyboard, and I am currently using the same keyboard and mouse.  Only thing different is I had the power off on the back of the PSU for a couple days since I assumed the computer was done for.

Before the incident:

http://www.passmark.com/baselines/V8/display.php?id=24493334480

AFTER the incident:

http://www.passmark.com/baselines/V8/display.php?id=24711530807

TZujVr9.jpg

I have already checked my main HDD using these 2 methods: http://windows.microsoft.com/en-us/windows7/check-a-drive-for-errors and http://support.microsoft.com/kb/929833

Edited by kabo0m the spam, 03 June 2014 - 08:17 AM.

#8 hamluis

hamluis

• 55,866 posts
  •  

Posted 03 June 2014 - 04:42 PM

To be quite honest...after playing with it a couple of days last week...I'm not convinced at all that the PassMark data means anything of any consequence.  It gave this system a pretty low rating that seemed based on the optical drive...I'd look at the CPU tab, the RAM tab...and pretty much trash their "overall rating" data.

If you CPU tab and your RAM tab look as you would expect, I would not rely on the overall scrore for anything.

Louis

#9 Kabo0m

Kabo0m
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 97 posts
  •  

Posted 09 June 2014 - 11:53 AM

To be quite honest...after playing with it a couple of days last week...I'm not convinced at all that the PassMark data means anything of any consequence.  It gave this system a pretty low rating that seemed based on the optical drive...I'd look at the CPU tab, the RAM tab...and pretty much trash their "overall rating" data.

If you CPU tab and your RAM tab look as you would expect, I would not rely on the overall scrore for anything.

Louis

Thanks Louis. :) My friend who built my computer is the one who goes by it very strongly. It was based on the CPU score that he decided that my 8650 Triple Core would be DOUBLE as fast if I upgraded to Q9550 Quad Core, while my ex-fiance says that it would just be a small upgrade.

I did test the harddrive and it seems that there are no bad sectors.

I also ran this other test:

http://www.hddstatus.com/hdrepshowreport.php?ReportCode=8109946&ReportVerification=E15D5519

I am back to typing on it but it seems the front intake fan is dead according to him but he doesn't know the size. I did my own research without taking the case apart and I think it is a 120mm and not an 80mm like the side fan is.  The temps are hot so I also want to get a fan for the back of the case which the case supports both 120mm and 80mm for there

I looked and looked and found my case finally here:

''OGRE Xtreme'' Nikao Case

ogresl%28240x320%29.jpg12403_Drive_Bay.jpg

I cannot game on it for now until the fans are in as I don't want to risk overheating even though I did speed up the GPU fan speed from 75% to 95%.

Fan temps:

Under LOAD:

RealTemp_KTs_Q9550_1402184048.jpg

While Benchmarking with Passmark's Performance Test:

uWu1yDO.jpg

Idle:

NeKShMR.jpg

My new Q9550 with my old vid card, HDD's, etc (if you click on it you can see specifics such as just the CPU score, etc):

24973518588.png

Edited by kabo0m the spam, 09 June 2014 - 12:16 PM.

#10 hamluis

hamluis

• 55,866 posts
  •  

Posted 09 June 2014 - 02:57 PM

FWIW:  The standard way of marking PC temperatures is in Celsius...I see that some of your charts (Speed Fan) are in Fahrenheit, so I would adjust the way those programs report the temperatures.  You may be comparing apples to oranges.

The 80mm fans are the smallest, you should be able to look at the fan and place for it...and determine whether you need an 80mm or 120mm.  Whichever, be sure to install the front fan so that it blows into the case, not out.  Generally, higher/rear fans should blow out, while lower/front fans blow inward, facilitatiing removal of hot air.

Louis

Edited by hamluis, 09 June 2014 - 03:01 PM.

#11 Kabo0m

Kabo0m
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 97 posts
  •  

Posted 30 June 2014 - 10:53 AM

Generally, higher/rear fans should blow out, while lower/front fans blow inward, facilitatiing removal of hot air.

Louis

FWIW: 

Generally, higher/rear fans should blow out, while lower/front fans blow inward, facilitatiing removal of hot air.

Louis

I didn't know that back fan part. Thanks.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users