Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Slow Download Speed

• Please log in to reply
3 replies to this topic

#1 jamie2006uk

jamie2006uk

• Members
  • 6 posts
  •  
  • Local time:08:13 AM

Posted 25 May 2006 - 01:04 PM

hi,

for some reason my download speed is ridiculously slow when i use certain applications. for example when i use itunes and try to go on the online music store it takes hours to access it. when i use napster i get a download speed from 0.03KB/s upto a maximum of 5Kb/s. but if i use internet explorer and download a windows update or something like that, i get upto 200Kb/s. i have 2Mb/s broadband, dont have a router or anything. i've tried disabling my firewall to see if that was causin the problem, but it wasn't. any help on this subject would be greatly appreciated

thanks

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 rookie147

rookie147

• Members
  • 5,321 posts
  •  

Posted 25 May 2006 - 01:06 PM

Hello jamie2006uk and welcome to Bleeping Computer!
There are many possible causes for your slow download speeds, but there is an article here that may aid your problem.
Hope this helps,
Charles

Edited by rookie147, 25 May 2006 - 01:07 PM.

If you are pleased with the service I have offered, you may like to consider making a donation. Posted Image
Posted Image

#3 DarkRaika

DarkRaika

• Members
  • 58 posts
  •  
  • Local time:06:13 PM

Posted 26 May 2006 - 07:32 AM

OK

What you are talking about is called The Bottleneck Effect

You might have a fast broadband connection but the more programs you run or computers you hook up to the network cause a drain on the system. In some cases using a program called Netlimter can save you some greef.

Think of what happens when you fill up a bottle of water and you tip it upside down to let the water out, the water will only go out as fast as the Slowest Part which is the neck on the bottle. Use a bottle with a large bottle top on it and the water will flow out faster. Same with traffic on the roads and highways the reason why you end up going so slow its bumper to bumper traffic is due to The Bottleneck Effect.

Using netlimiter you can control downloads and uploads of particular programs on one system which will help you manage the traffic and keep things running smoothly.

Also remember that the bottleneck might not be at your end, it could be at a Server end out there on the net when what is most likely to happen is there are too many people connecting to the server, so therefore at the Server end you have the Bottleneck.

DR

31337 is a prime number .... 1337 is not .... go figure!

#4 jamie2006uk

jamie2006uk
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 6 posts
  •  

Posted 26 May 2006 - 09:49 AM

OK

What you are talking about is called The Bottleneck Effect

You might have a fast broadband connection but the more programs you run or computers you hook up to the network cause a drain on the system. In some cases using a program called Netlimter can save you some greef.

Think of what happens when you fill up a bottle of water and you tip it upside down to let the water out, the water will only go out as fast as the Slowest Part which is the neck on the bottle. Use a bottle with a large bottle top on it and the water will flow out faster. Same with traffic on the roads and highways the reason why you end up going so slow its bumper to bumper traffic is due to The Bottleneck Effect.

Using netlimiter you can control downloads and uploads of particular programs on one system which will help you manage the traffic and keep things running smoothly.

Also remember that the bottleneck might not be at your end, it could be at a Server end out there on the net when what is most likely to happen is there are too many people connecting to the server, so therefore at the Server end you have the Bottleneck.

DR

i could understand having slow download speeds if i was using a lot of programs at the same time, but it happens when i'm just using one at a time.i can have everything closed apart from itunes and its still downloads very slowly. i've tried running a broadband speed test and according to that i have a higher than average download speed

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users