Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Stuck in Power Saving Mode

• Please log in to reply
7 replies to this topic

#1 copiman

copiman

• Members
  • 57 posts
  •  
  • Local time:09:09 PM

Posted 30 May 2014 - 06:56 PM

I have a Lenovo desktop with a Lenovo monitor. When you turn on the PC all you get on the monitor is power saving mode. The Lenovo monitor works fine attached to another PC. I used another monitor, an HP, connected to the Lenovo PC and still have the same issue. Also tried another cable and still have the same issue. I would think the problem is with the PC, but have never seen anything like this. Hope this is the right area to post.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 JohnC_21

JohnC_21

• Members
  • 22,926 posts
  •  
  • Local time:10:09 PM

Posted 30 May 2014 - 07:19 PM

If you don't see the splash screen at boot I would say it is a video problem.

#3 copiman

copiman
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 57 posts
  •  

Posted 30 May 2014 - 07:38 PM

All I get at boot is "Lenovo" displayed on the screen then the "power save mode" displayed. I have a couple of video cards. Do you think I could install on to bypass the video in the PC? I think the video on the PC is onboard. What do you think?

Edited by copiman, 30 May 2014 - 07:38 PM.

#4 JohnC_21

JohnC_21

• Members
  • 22,926 posts
  •  

Posted 30 May 2014 - 08:18 PM

If you get the splash screen can you access safe mode by tapping F8 at boot? If safe mode still fails then adding a video card would be a good idea. You can tell if it is onboard video by looking at the back of the computer. If the video port is part of the I/O plate then it is onboard video. You may have to go into BIOS to disable onboard video and select another option like PCI or PCI-e.

#5 copiman

copiman
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 57 posts
  •  

Posted 30 May 2014 - 08:24 PM

I'm pretty sure it onboard. I did try F8 and could not get there. I think I'm stuck with trying the video card.

#6 JohnC_21

JohnC_21

• Members
  • 22,926 posts
  •  

Posted 30 May 2014 - 08:26 PM

Okay, you may have to change the onboard video in BIOS. If that does not work there is another thing that can be tried but not sure if will work. It involves editing the registry offline to change the power configuration settings.

#7 copiman

copiman
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 57 posts
  •  

Posted 02 June 2014 - 05:07 PM

I found the problem. I cleared the CMOS and that took care of it. Thanks

#8 JohnC_21

JohnC_21

• Members
  • 22,926 posts
  •  

Posted 02 June 2014 - 06:07 PM

Nice troubleshooting. I wouldn't have thought of that as the splash screen was shown. It must have had something to do with the power settings in BIOS. Thanks for the update.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users