Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Can't turn off proxy 127.0.0.1:8877

• Please log in to reply
6 replies to this topic

#1 TrimbleLC1

TrimbleLC1

• Members
  • 3 posts
  •  
  • Local time:05:43 PM

Posted 30 May 2014 - 05:27 PM

Hi all, hoping you can assist me. I am on my laptop computer. Last night I was on Google Chrome and received message that proxy was not working. (I do not use a proxy) I went to my settings, unchecked proxy and rechecked automatically detect settings, saved, exited and tried again...same message. Went back into settings and proxy was checked again. This has been going on for two days now. It is effecting IE and firefox the same way, message states...

The proxy server isn’t responding...

Check your proxy settings 127.0.0.1:8877.

The resetting is immediate, and restarts have no effect. Proxy is there 24/7 and cannot be changed.

I have tried running windows defender but it found nothing. I have no internet access on that computer besides access to my gmail through outlook, so I have been unable to download any other virus/malware software to run.

No matter what I have tried, something has hijacked my setting and will not let me change it. I am typing this on the infected computer using FireFox.

I have no idea what to do. Thank you for any assistance you can offer.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 scotty_ncc1701

scotty_ncc1701

• Members
  • 520 posts
  •  

Posted 30 May 2014 - 06:05 PM

Check this: https://vms.drweb.com/virus/?i=3610776

I found this on a search, I have no idea on the reputation on this site. Use at your own risk.

Best of luck.

#3 cmptrgy

cmptrgy

• Members
  • 1,716 posts
  •  
  • Local time:04:43 PM

Posted 30 May 2014 - 07:00 PM

My brother ran into a proxy settings situation last month last month just like you describe

--- He had allowed something into his computer; whatever it was I couldn't find out

--- He didn't know what it was himself but that's another story

--- Trying to deal with it was unsuccessful

So I did a system restore which brought his computer back to normal

Even though his computer was back to normal, I did a full set of maintenance programs and security programs

#4 TrimbleLC1

TrimbleLC1
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 3 posts
  •  

Posted 30 May 2014 - 08:20 PM

I'm mostly just confused as to how to do anything without having internet access on that computer. How would I go about doing a system restore?

#5 cmptrgy

cmptrgy

• Members
  • 1,716 posts
  •  

Posted 31 May 2014 - 07:22 AM

I found the notes I took about my brother’s computer when he had a similar problem as I mentioned and I hope what worked for me works for you

“Check your proxy settings 127.0.0.1:49685.
Go to Tools > Internet Options > Connections. If you are on a LAN, click “LAN settings”.

Make sure your firewall settings aren’t blocking your web access”

When I couldn’t fix the proxy settings issue, I did a System Restore and everything did return to normal

Since I knew something had affected  his computer, I went into Uninstall a Program and saw BlitzMediaPlayer which I immediately uninstalled. Nothing else looked odd

Then I ran AdwCleaner and Malwarebytes Anti-Malware and the following items were found and I cleaned them out ; I don’t recall which program found which item but the combination of them worked out nicely

C:\Users\John\AppData\Roaming\Microsoft\Windows\Start Menu\Program

Arcade Parlor C:\Users\John\AppData\Roaming\Microsoft\Windows\Start Menu\Programs

AUPEO! C:\ProgramData\Microsoft\Windows\Start Menu\Programs

ArcadeParlor.A, BrowserSafeGuard.A & WeCare.A

It was after that I completed the rest of some maintenance & security items the computer needed and

On System Restore, check out Windows 8 System Restore Guide

http://www.bleepingcomputer.com/tutorials/windows-8-system-restore-guide/

On AdwCleaner, check out http://www.bleepingcomputer.com/download/adwcleaner/

--- Make sure you click only on the blue box that reads Download Now @ Bleeping Computer

--- If in doubt on how to continue with the process, post back

On Malwarebytes Anti-Malware 2.0.2.1012

Check out http://www.bleepingcomputer.com/download/malwarebytes-anti-malware/

Don’t forget to finish up with the rest of some maintenance & security items for your computer

Good luck

#6 TrimbleLC1

TrimbleLC1
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 3 posts
  •  

Posted 31 May 2014 - 09:53 AM

I did a system restore and checked for malware and adware. Everything seems to be working fine now. Thank you so much for your help, you're lifesavers! Hopefully the problem is now fully gone.

#7 cmptrgy

cmptrgy

• Members
  • 1,716 posts
  •  

Posted 31 May 2014 - 12:37 PM

Thank you for posting back on your solution

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users