Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Bad PSU, CPU or Mobo?

• Please log in to reply
2 replies to this topic

#1 CGV2222

CGV2222

• Members
  • 8 posts
  •  
  • Local time:06:40 AM

Posted 30 May 2014 - 05:09 PM

So, I got a new graphics card and a new CPU cooler, an arctic rev.2, I installed the new graphics card with no issue and I turned it on but I realized that my stock fan for my CPU is running a bit hot, so I switched it out for the arctic rev.2, I got everything installed and plugged in but while I was installing the arctic rev.2, I heard like, a noise like metal clanging so I assumed I just bolted on the sides a bit too hard, so I loosened it expecting it to be fine, but then I turned it on and instead of having the PC boot up, the fans turn for half a second, and then turn off. Is my mobo bad or is it my CPU?

The reason I'm not sure if it's my Mobo is because it's a M5A 99X Evo and there's a green LED that goes on when everything is OK, and that LED is on, so I'd assume that if something happened to my mobo, that the LED wouldn't be going on?

and I've been here 3 times asking for help with the same computer, lol. My luck is amazing.

I figured it out, the bleep PSU was actually what was causing it. I did the paperclip pin test and it made a really low roaring noise for awhile, and then the bundle of wires actually started to smoke! Luckily my computer was completely unplugged when I did the pin test so I don't think any damage genuinely came from it.

Edited by CGV2222, 30 May 2014 - 09:05 PM.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 dicke

dicke

Paraclete

• Members
  • 2,189 posts
  •  
  • Local time:06:40 AM

Posted 31 May 2014 - 11:47 AM

Hi,

The last pin test I used was to pin the conductors of a land line system together. That shorted out the phone and upset the opposing force. 

You might want to use that same pin to hold a note to the PSU which says "replace"

When it has been replaced I'd carefully check each component and each connection to confirm that they were correct and secure BEFORE I attempted to apply power, as in connect the AC cord to the PSU and the wall outlet.

Keep us posted

Stay well and surf safe [stay protected]

Dick E

#3 dc3

dc3

Bleeping Treehugger

• Members
  • 30,364 posts
  •  
  • Local time:03:40 AM

Posted 01 June 2014 - 02:17 PM

Did you have the PCU 12V power connector plugged into the motherboard at the time?

I'm not referring to the 24 pin connector.

Family and loved ones will always be a priority in my daily life.  You never know when one will leave you.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users