Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Very Strange Scenario, Info Only

• Please log in to reply
3 replies to this topic

#1 hamluis

hamluis

• 56,272 posts
  •  
  • Local time:01:16 AM

Posted 30 May 2014 - 04:41 PM

I just overcame a situation that I deemed unusual...took me most of the day to figure out what was going on.

I dual-boot, XP and Win 7, on a Asus M5A78L-M LX-Plus board, with an AMD FX-8120 and 8GB RAM.  No problems at all with those components prior to today.

This morning I noted that the CPU fan was getting louder and checked the CPU temp per Speccy (in XP).  The norm is low 30s, with the board registering low 50s.  When check today, the CPU was low 50s, the board was mid-60s, and the fan was obnoxiously loud.

Normally, I would think "overheating" but I had just replaced the heatsink/fan with a new spare from a FX8320 CPU I haven't installed in anything...that was last week.  So, for purposes of comparison, I booted into my Win 7 half...no problem at all there, fan quiet, temps where they should be.

So, I began tinkering.  Throughout the day, I tried to satisfy myself that it could not be malware, could not be hardware...had to be my XP install somehow gone bad.

Checked temps again in Win 7...20 Celsius for idle, 35 for board....while XP reflected 52 Celsius for CPU and 65 for board.

Last guess was board drivers.  I reinstalled those (chipset, VGA, and EPU-4) from the mobo disk...and all is back as it should be.

This may tempt me to not be so quick to diagnose system overheating as the problem...when it's really only a symptom of the problem :).  The time and frustration were well-spent, IMO, because I came to grips with a situation where the obvious was not what it appeared to be :).

Louis

Edited by hamluis, 30 May 2014 - 04:50 PM.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 dicke

dicke

Paraclete

• Members
  • 2,196 posts
  •  
  • Local time:02:16 AM

Posted 31 May 2014 - 11:50 AM

'for information only'

Thank you for the quick clear lesson AND the reminder that it isn't always that simple.

Stay well and surf safe [stay protected]

Dick E

#3 wpgwpg

wpgwpg

• Members
  • 1,149 posts
  •  

Posted 31 May 2014 - 12:20 PM

That just proves my theory that computers are female.  :lol: Funny thing though, I can't find any women to agree with me.   :unsure:

Everyone with a computer should back his system up to an external hard drive regularly.  :thumbsup:

#4 dicke

dicke

Paraclete

• Members
  • 2,196 posts
  •  

Posted 31 May 2014 - 03:40 PM

Don't try too hard, they could just reboot you, or reimage you.

Think about it

Stay well and surf safe [stay protected]

Dick E

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users