Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Small Business Anti-Virus/Malware and Content Filtering Firewall solution

• Please log in to reply
4 replies to this topic

#1 rods

rods

• Members
  • 32 posts
  •  
  • Local time:07:14 AM

Posted 30 May 2014 - 02:47 PM

Hello,

I'm an IT consultant for several small to medium-sized business.  I've mostly use Avast and Malwarebytes for my Anti-virus and Malware protection.  For the small offices it's easy to manage, but for bigger offices, keeping track of anti-virus expiration dates is ridiculous (since it will be different based on when they get a new computer) and this week it was proven that I can't rely on the staff to let me know when a registration is expiring.  One of the computers was infected with CryptoLocker because he ignored the 30-day daily reminders of Avast expiring.  Fortunately, I was able to minimize the data lost to 4 hours to 12 hours by using Shadow Copies and the previous nights backup for the database applications that got encrypted.  Please note, they also host their own exchange server (SBS 2011/Exchange 2010 or SBS 2008/Exchange 2007)

So, with that preface, I need a good business management solution that provides virus, malware, phishing, spam, web-content filtering and blocking of potentially harmful sites.  For one of the offices, I do have a Barracuda Anti-Virus/Spam firewall, but this is only for email not web-content filtering.

I am considering the following:

BitDefender Small Office Security

Untangle NG Firewall - would order the hardware from them

Dell SonicWall solution - debating between NSA or TZ series for the medium-sized businesses.

I also really like the Barracuda devices, but I'm not sure the benefits outway the cost compared to the others.

I'd greatly appreciate any feedback on the above solutions, especially if you use them in your office or any other solutions that you use that you think may be better than the ones I mentioned.

Thank you in advance.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

m

#2 quietman7

quietman7

Bleepin' Janitor

• Global Moderator
  • 50,584 posts
  •  
  • Local time:09:14 AM

Posted 30 May 2014 - 06:02 PM

I have never personally used any of the software available for business environments but here is a list I compiled.

Antivirus Enterprise Software for Business and Corporate EnvironmentsThese articles may be helpful in making your choice:My Security Colleague, Didier Stevens, Microsoft MVP Consumer Security is an IT Security Professional who has a lot of experience in this area. Hopefully he will read this topic and follow up with more specifics for you to consider.
Windows Insider MVP 2017-2018
Microsoft MVP Reconnect 2016
Microsoft MVP Consumer Security 2007-2015 kO7xOZh.gif
Member of UNITE, Unified Network of Instructors and Trusted Eliminators

If I have been helpful & you'd like to consider a donation, click 38WxTfO.gif

#3 rods

rods
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 32 posts
  •  
  • Local time:07:14 AM

Posted 02 June 2014 - 07:00 PM

Thanks for the reply quietman! I really appreciate it.  I have been a long time reader of bleepingcomputer and really appreciate all you do for the security community.

I was really hoping to get a reply from someone who has used a hardware device for anti-spam/virus and content filtering and web security.  Hopefully your security colleague would be so kind to respond or anyone else in the community.

#4 quietman7

quietman7

Bleepin' Janitor

• Global Moderator
  • 50,584 posts
  •  
  • Local time:09:14 AM

Posted 02 June 2014 - 07:26 PM

You're welcome.
Windows Insider MVP 2017-2018
Microsoft MVP Reconnect 2016
Microsoft MVP Consumer Security 2007-2015 kO7xOZh.gif
Member of UNITE, Unified Network of Instructors and Trusted Eliminators

If I have been helpful & you'd like to consider a donation, click 38WxTfO.gif

#5 Didier Stevens

Didier Stevens

• BC Advisor
  • 2,620 posts
  •  
  • Local time:03:14 PM

Posted 03 June 2014 - 03:36 PM

I seems that your main problem is managing the AVs.

I suggest you look into cloud based solutions. For example, I know that Panda anti-virus has a cloud product.

To manage each computer remotely, you login to a Panda website.

I saw a demo of their product a couple of years ago, I think it is their Pro solution.

Didier Stevens
http://blog.DidierStevens.com
http://DidierStevensLabs.com

SANS ISC Handler
Microsoft MVP 2011-2016 Consumer Security, Windows Insider MVP 2016-2018
MVP_Horizontal_BlueOnly.png

If you send me messages, per Bleeping Computer's Forum policy, I will not engage in a conversation, but try to answer your question in the relevant forum post. If you don't want this, don't send me messages.

Stevens' law: "As an online security discussion grows longer, the probability of a reference to BadUSB approaches 1.0"

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users