Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Hello

• Please log in to reply
3 replies to this topic

#1 papabee99

papabee99

• Members
  • 1 posts
  •  
  • Local time:11:30 PM

Posted 25 May 2006 - 11:40 AM

I am fascinated by the capabilities of the computer and the resources of the Internet, and perpetually baffled by the conventions, techniques, methods, modalities, vocabulary, etc. required to use them. For example, as a new member of this community, I was encouraged to introduce myself. It took me 10 minutes to find this space to write my introduction. I'd like to make the font of this post look bigger and bolder as I write. Can't figure out how to do it.

I am tempted to say that instructions and directions given on the Internet, even when intended for beginnners, are typically opaque, incomplete, and rife with assumptions about the prior knowledge of the reader. (I myself wrote printed instruction manuals and tutorials, among other things, for many years. The first requirement, and probably the hardest part, was to start at the very beginning!)

I also regularly find myself stymied by what appear to be the incursions of hackers and virus creators, and worried about identity theft by out-and-out criminals.

However, probably a more honest and more realistic explanation for my difficuties is that I come to this activity late in life. My login name, papabee, is what my five grandchildren call me. I'm not 99, but some days I feel that way, particularly when I'm having computer problems. So things that come naturally to younger folks who have grown up with computers are a struggle for me. Fixes that take them minutes take me hours. Nevertheless, I shall struggle on.

I'm hoping BleepingComputer will help me make things go right more easily and more consistently. Because when things go right, its the most fun I've had in years.

papabee99

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 rookie147

rookie147

• Members
  • 5,321 posts
  •  
  • Local time:04:30 AM

Posted 25 May 2006 - 11:44 AM

Hello papabee99 and welcome to Bleeping Computer!
Remember, never hesitate before asking a question, no matter how simple it sounds- asking is how we all learn, and I'm sure the great people here will be helpful and friendly in their approach.
Enjoy your stay here,
Charles

If you are pleased with the service I have offered, you may like to consider making a donation. Posted Image
Posted Image

#3 jgweed

jgweed

• Members
  • 28,473 posts
  •  
  • Local time:10:30 PM

Posted 25 May 2006 - 12:10 PM

Welcome to BC!
While we do not stick with the "see Jane run" explanations, because this is a user community, our discussions tend towards simplicity and the use of plain English whenever possible.

For members who may not have used a board before, or for those who wish to use more of its functions, the New User Orientation Forum explains how to use many of the board's features. including changing the font.

For members who are using a computer for perhaps the first month, BC also has a forum of an everiincreasing number of quick mini-guides that walk through some of the more common tasks:

http://www.bleepingcomputer.com/forums/f/92/mini-guides-and-how-tos-simple-answers-to-common-questions/

For slightly more advanced members, the Tutorial section will repay the time spent there, while the "technical" forums will provide answers to both common and uncommon problems.

The important thing to remember about being a member of BC is that help, or an answer, is only a post away.

Regards,
John

Edited by jgweed, 25 May 2006 - 12:10 PM.

Whereof one cannot speak, thereof one should be silent.

#4 Darthy

Darthy

The red side of the Force

• Members
  • 1,217 posts
  •  
  • Local time:04:30 AM

Posted 25 May 2006 - 07:43 PM

Hi and :thumbsup: to BC papabee99.
Regards,

Darthy
Εν οίδα οτι ουδέν οίδα - Socrates