Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Mystery with TrueCrypt

• Please log in to reply
2 replies to this topic

#1 mikrop

mikrop

• Members
  • 4 posts
  •  
  • Local time:08:26 PM

Posted 30 May 2014 - 01:17 PM

I'm sure many of you have heard what happened to TrueCrypt, and left you wondering and saying, "What the heck just happened?"

There are many, but one of the speculations going around at the moment is the assumption that the TrueCrypt developers were contacted and bullied by one of the "alphabet agencies" to create a backdoor in the encryption software, to which the TrueCrypt developers simply said "no!" and decided to shut it down the way Lavabit did.

truecrypt.org started forwarding visitors to another site on sourceforge, and warning people against using TrueCrypt as it was not secure, and recommending "migration" from TrueCrypt to "Bitlocker…?!?", which is proprietary disk encryption software, included in Microsoft's Ultimate/Enterprise versions of Windows and is known to have a backdoor and is compromised.

Why would a developer, who created an encryption software like TrueCrypt because such encryption software like Bitlocker can not be trusted in the first place, end up warning people against using TrueCrypt, and recommending "migration" from TrueCrypt to "Bitlocker". His recommendation is so much against the very reason for the creation of TrueCrypt. TrueCrypt was created because nothing else could be trusted. It just doesn't make any sense. Things just don't add up.

The efforts are already underway at truecrypt.ch to revive and resurrect TrueCrypt as it is an open source application.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 myrti

myrti

Sillyberry

• Malware Study Hall Admin
  • 33,768 posts
  •  
  • Local time:02:26 AM

Posted 30 May 2014 - 01:35 PM

Hi,

please also see here: http://www.bleepingcomputer.com/forums/t/535875/truecrypt-is-not-secure-official-sourceforge-page-abruptly-warns/

I would like to point out that truecrypt is not really open source, their license agreement does not fullfill requirements of an OS application. This is part of the on-going problem: It is not clear if modifying the code is compatible with their license agreement.

regards

myrti

is that a bird?  a plane? nooo it's the flying blueberry!

If I have been helping you and haven't replied in 2 days, feel free to shoot me a PM! Please don't send help request via PM, unless I am already helping you. Use the forums!

Follow BleepingComputer on: Facebook | Twitter | Google+

#3 JohnC_21

JohnC_21

• Members
  • 23,198 posts
  •  
  • Local time:08:26 PM

Posted 30 May 2014 - 01:37 PM

Hopefully the opensource community will take it over but the audit still has to be completed. Another opensource encryption software is Diskcryptor but it can only do full disk or partition encryption. No containers like TrueCrypt.

What is kind of unusual is the developers of Testdisk saying it is no longer safe to use because of Windows XP being no longer supported but I think that is FUD because Testdisk was also available on Linux and what does a disk encrypted software have to do with a unsupported OS anyways. I downloaded the previous versions of TrueCrypt going back to 6.3a just in case.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users