Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

What is the best Anti-Virus Software?

• Please log in to reply
21 replies to this topic

#1 jijo272

jijo272

• Members
  • 27 posts
  •  
  • Local time:04:21 PM

Posted 30 May 2014 - 12:54 PM

I'm so confused......  I was going to re-sign up with Avast Internet Security for $49.00 for 3 computers, and then I read that it is not the safest software to block viruses.

Good reports about AdAware Free Anti-Virus and Avira Free Anti-Virus on CNET.

Any other options or opinions will help me decide what to do.

Thank you.

Edit: Moved topic from General Security to the more appropriate forum.~ Animal

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 wpgwpg

wpgwpg

• Members
  • 1,149 posts
  •  
  • Local time:05:21 PM

Posted 30 May 2014 - 01:04 PM

Ask 2 people and you'll likely get 3 or more answers.  The latest review I've seen is in the current issue of Consumer Reports.  Personally I get Norton Security Suite free from Comcast and use that with my Windows 7 systems.  With Windows 8.1 I use the built-in Defender which has MSE built into it.  I used to use the free AVG before getting Norton free from Comcast.  I've never had a problem with any of these.  

Everyone with a computer should back his system up to an external hard drive regularly.  :thumbsup:

#3 jijo272

jijo272
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 27 posts
  •  

Posted 30 May 2014 - 01:26 PM

Thanks - I'll certainly review your recommendations.  I need it for Windows 7 and Windows 8.1.  I'll check out the Defender for my 8.1 laptop.

#4 bassfisher6522

bassfisher6522

• Members
  • 90 posts
  •  

Posted 30 May 2014 - 01:39 PM

The key to remember with AV's between the free version and the paid; the paid has a few extras to allow the user to taylor it to there needs and has some sort of real time protection for there bundled malware scanner. They both use the same AV search engine and updates. So I all wasy go with the free.

Like the above replies have suggested; the best AV is subjective at best and is of a personal nature. Checking the reviews from respected websites, they all have something different as to what's there favorite.

All that being said; I all ways use a free AV and my current AV of choice is Avast. I have used on windows 7/8 MSE and windows defender respectively, AVG, Comodo, ESET, Kerpersky and a few other...My personal choices ATM are Avast and Windows Defender.

You'll just have to try a few and see what feels right to you.

#5 zingo156

zingo156

• BC Advisor
  • 3,345 posts
  •  

Posted 30 May 2014 - 01:40 PM

I tend to like Microsoft Security Essentials (MSE) with something like Malwarebytes paired with it. MSE is built into windows 8... Everyone has their preference and I wouldn't say anyone is for certain better than any other. The problem is anti-virus writers can not write a fix for a virus unless it is reported or comes to their attention. The virus writers seem to be one step ahead most of the time. The best AV is a well educated user.

Things like no script and adblock can help prevent browser, java, and flash exploits. I personally have a custom firewall and use no script all the time. It is a hassle though and the general user might get frustrated...

Edited by zingo156, 30 May 2014 - 01:42 PM.

If I am helping you with a problem and I have not responded within 48 hours please send me a PM.

#6 Animal

Animal

Bleepin' Animinion

• Site Admin
  • 35,511 posts
  •  
  • Local time:02:21 PM

Posted 30 May 2014 - 01:57 PM

You might take a look at quietman's topic here for additional information: http://www.bleepingcomputer.com/forums/t/407147/answers-to-common-security-questions-best-practices/?p=2316629

The whole thread is good information. But that specific section deals with choosing an anti-virus.

The Internet is so big, so powerful and pointless that for some people it is a complete substitute for life.
Andrew Brown (1938-1994)

A learning experience is one of those things that say, "You know that thing you just did? Don't do that." Douglas Adams (1952-2001)

"Imagination is more important than knowledge. Knowledge is limited. Imagination circles the world." Albert Einstein (1879-1955)

Follow BleepingComputer on: Facebook | Twitter | Google+

#7 scotty_ncc1701

scotty_ncc1701

• Members
  • 520 posts
  •  

Posted 30 May 2014 - 03:42 PM

I used norton for 10+ years, and the jumped ship of all norton products.  I've used AVAST Free since 2009 or 2010, and it's been the best.  It's blocked many viruses that was hidden in downloads, etc, in my book AVAST is the best.

As for norton, THEIR PRODUCES ARE PIECES OF HORSE EXCREMENT.  After 2006 their antivirus and internet security went completely downhill.  The antivirus stopped having live (realtime) protection, you always had to manually scan all files AFTER you downloaded them; it wouldn't even scan the files if you ran them.  Then "bang" you were infected.  Luckily, I even scan the file manually, that AVAST scans automatically.

As for their Internet Security, they removed several feature that I thought was key/important, like logging everywhere you went, were programs connected to, etc.  So if you had program "X" would connect in the background, you'd know it, and know everywhere it went.

When I found AVAST, I dropped norton AV, then when I found Comodo, I dropped norton IS.  Finally, when I found Paragon Backup and Recovery, I abandoned norton Ghost, and now I'm norton free.

I've been virus/malware free since the fall of 1995.  I adjusted my security procedures to adjust for norton's scr*wup, until I found a better replacement, which took me almost a year of research and testing.  It should be noted that if I recall correctly, the last version norton AV that had realtime protection was 2008, or 2009, and I had a copy of that the year before I dropped them.

Even if someone would tell me that norton gave back all the features I liked, I'd never use their products again.

Recently I did a test with avg and kaspersky, and on an isolated, test PC, with almost 2000+ files with known viruses in them, the detection rate was less than 30 percent (avg), and 60 percent (kaspersky); but AVAST's was 100% detection, and eradication.

Please don't ask where I found the download of these viruses, because I won't say.  I have the files on a "FLASH DRIVE", in a locked box, so I can't use the "FLASH DRIVE" accidently.

Have a great day.

#8 scotty_ncc1701

scotty_ncc1701

• Members
  • 520 posts
  •  

Posted 30 May 2014 - 03:47 PM

I tend to like Microsoft Security Essentials (MSE) with something like Malwarebytes paired with it. MSE is built into windows 8... Everyone has their preference and I wouldn't say anyone is for certain better than any other. The problem is anti-virus writers can not write a fix for a virus unless it is reported or comes to their attention. The virus writers seem to be one step ahead most of the time. The best AV is a well educated user.

Things like no script and adblock can help prevent browser, java, and flash exploits. I personally have a custom firewall and use no script all the time. It is a hassle though and the general user might get frustrated...

Microsoft Security Essentials (MSE) has been shown to be on the bottom.  According to Holly Stewart, senior program manager of the Microsoft Malware Protection Center, MSE is intended to provide "baseline" protection and recommended that users install an anti-virus on top of it for better security from advanced threats.

#9 zingo156

zingo156

• BC Advisor
  • 3,345 posts
  •  

Posted 30 May 2014 - 03:56 PM

I agree MSE has it's weeknesses... I generally paired Malwarebytes with it as mentioned. In my opinion, you can have all of the AV's installed at once (if you could get them to run together, they won't normally) and still have users get infected.

User Education > Anti-virus software. Preventing items up front by running no script and ad block in a browser help a ton. I had users that were frequently infected with many different AV's, after a few times back in the shop, I would install both ad block and no script, educate them, and never saw them return for infections.

If I am helping you with a problem and I have not responded within 48 hours please send me a PM.

#10 jijo272

jijo272
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 27 posts
  •  

Posted 30 May 2014 - 05:19 PM

Well, I'm pleased with all the suggestions.  As of this moment, I've uninstalled Avast Internet Security (Paid Version which is about to update....and Installed Windows Defender on my new HP Laptop with Win. 8.1.  So far I like it!!!!

Next, my Windows 7 Security Software....  I'm still checking out all your ideas.

Thanks.

#11 quietman7

quietman7

Bleepin' Janitor

• Global Moderator
  • 51,590 posts
  •  

Posted 30 May 2014 - 06:14 PM

Good reports about AdAware Free Anti-Virus and Avira Free Anti-Virus on CNET.

I realize you made your decision so this is FYI for future reference.

There are several labs which test the effectiveness of major anti-virus programs to include AV-Comparatives.org, Virus Bulletin Comparative Tests, AV-Test.org, NSS Labs Consumer Anti-Malware Products Group Test Report, MRG-Effitas, etc....CNET is not one of them.These kinds of comparative testing results will vary depending on a variety of factors to include but not limited to who conducted the testing, what they were testing for (type of threats, attack vectors, exploits), what versions of anti-virus software was tested, what type of scanning engine was used, and the ability to clean or repair. There are no universally predefined set of standards or criteria for testing which means each test will yield different results. As such, you need to look for detailed information about how the tests were conducted, the procedures used, and data results.

Further, if you're dealing with zero-day malware it's unlikely the anti-virus testing is going to detect anything. It takes time for new malware to be reported, samples collected, analyzed, and tested by anti-virus researchers before they can add a new threat to database definitions.
Windows Insider MVP 2017-2018
Microsoft MVP Reconnect 2016
Microsoft MVP Consumer Security 2007-2015 kO7xOZh.gif
Member of UNITE, Unified Network of Instructors and Trusted Eliminators

If I have been helpful & you'd like to consider a donation, click 38WxTfO.gif

#12 Scoop8

Scoop8

• Members
  • 326 posts
  •  

Posted 01 June 2014 - 07:30 AM

As stated, the topic is diverse.

I switched to Norton 360 in Dec 2012 and have been running smooth since then, no malware issues, etc.

Norton is my 3rd home AV and so far, it's been the best experience for me but more time is required before I start grading it :).  I like to use an AV for 2-3 years and then look at its track record.

I'm also running MBAM Pro (ver 1..75).

#13 quietman7

quietman7

Bleepin' Janitor

• Global Moderator
  • 51,590 posts
  •  

Posted 01 June 2014 - 08:56 AM

Windows 8 integrates Windows Defender on Windows 8 for its anti-virus and anti-malware protection. For that OS, I recommend folks give it a try before switching to something else.
Member of UNITE, Unified Network of Instructors and Trusted Eliminators

If I have been helpful & you'd like to consider a donation, click 38WxTfO.gif

#14 jijo272

jijo272
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 27 posts
  •  

Posted 01 June 2014 - 10:01 AM

I like Windows Defender!!!!  Only used it a few days but it does work well on Windows 8.1 (hmmmm, perhaps that's why they included as software in the HP Laptop.)

#15 quietman7

quietman7

Bleepin' Janitor

• Global Moderator
  • 51,590 posts
  •  

Posted 01 June 2014 - 07:59 PM

:thumbup2: