Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Windows Server 2003 SBS with unfinished install

• Please log in to reply
4 replies to this topic

#1 minnesotachris

minnesotachris

• Members
  • 3 posts
  •  
  • Local time:11:34 PM

Posted 30 May 2014 - 12:53 PM

Hello, my name is Chris, and I'm a new Bleeping Computer member.  I have an issue with my Windows 2003 SBS server that I hope someone can help with.

When I arrived here, the server did not appear to have finsihed setup (a "Continue Setup" icon was on the desktop, and "C:\Program Files\Microsoft Windows Small Business Server" is missing).  Since many users and computers were already in the domain and working fine, I decided to ignore it. 

Now, however, I am now seeing Events 221 ("License usage for product Windows Server is nearing the maximum number of per server licenses purchased") and occasionally 222 ("License usage for product Windows Server is at the maximum number of per server licenses purchased") in the System Event Viewer.  However, I still have not seen issues with users unable to login. The event log told me to go into Licensing, which in turn tells me to go to the Add License Wizard.  I cannot find the Add License Wizard, or Server Managment for that matter.  Therefore, I assume I have to run the Continue Setup to finish installation so that component can be used.

My question: will completing an unfinsihed Windows Server 2003 SBS installation force me to have all computers disjoin and rejoin the domain?  Will I have to recreate user accounts?  I don't want to open up a can of worms to solve an issue that so far has not caused any problems that I am aware of.

For additional information, we also have a Windows 2000 Server as a domain controller (hopefully to be retired soon) and a Windows 2008 SBS Server that does not act as a domain controller.  The rest of the computers are Windows 7 and a few XP.

Thanks for any help you might be able to provide!

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

m

#2 JohnnyJammer

JohnnyJammer

• Members
  • 1,107 posts
  •  
  • Local time:02:34 PM

Posted 30 May 2014 - 03:45 PM

Mate i would be moving the fsmo role to the 2008 because you would get kore functionality. I would backup the server then try going through the setup to see what it actually wants to do. I doubt the relationship trust would be broken if the domain controller already has the ldap running

#3 minnesotachris

minnesotachris
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 3 posts
  •  

Posted 02 June 2014 - 12:39 PM

Mate i would be moving the fsmo role to the 2008 because you would get kore functionality. I would backup the server then try going through the setup to see what it actually wants to do. I doubt the relationship trust would be broken if the domain controller already has the ldap running

Thanks JohnnyJammer, I appreciate your input.  I'd rather not move the role to the 2008 server because of obligations to keep that server in its role of hosting a critical software package (we have an agreement with a customer that stipulates that this should be its stand-alone function, to the best of our ability).  I figured that since LDAP seems to be functional that the domain wouldn't take a hit if I continued setup, and I appreciate your confirmation.  When I can, I'll backup the server and continue the setup.

#4 JohnnyJammer

JohnnyJammer

• Members
  • 1,107 posts
  •  
  • Local time:02:34 PM

Posted 02 June 2014 - 05:53 PM

The FSMO roles and PDC shouldnt effect any application unless its tied completley to that host. You would get way more better group polices to apply to windows 7 machines by using the WIN2008 server as forest master along with the ability to raise the functionality of the domain level to 2008 once the 2003 has been removed as a domain controller (Note i think from memory you wont be able to join a 2012 server to a 2003 funtional level forest).

I to have old 2003 servers with critcal applications and web servers which have now been convered to intranet facing webservers because of security issues facing the internet.

You might need to start mapping out an upgrade soon mate because there are a few exploits for 2003 servers and the way the services (Even token kidnapping) can be used to exploit other hosts.

Edited by JohnnyJammer, 02 June 2014 - 05:54 PM.

#5 minnesotachris

minnesotachris
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 3 posts
  •  

Posted 03 June 2014 - 03:17 PM

The FSMO roles and PDC shouldnt effect any application unless its tied completley to that host. You would get way more better group polices to apply to windows 7 machines by using the WIN2008 server as forest master along with the ability to raise the functionality of the domain level to 2008 once the 2003 has been removed as a domain controller (Note i think from memory you wont be able to join a 2012 server to a 2003 funtional level forest).

I to have old 2003 servers with critcal applications and web servers which have now been convered to intranet facing webservers because of security issues facing the internet.

You might need to start mapping out an upgrade soon mate because there are a few exploits for 2003 servers and the way the services (Even token kidnapping) can be used to exploit other hosts.

Thanks again JohnnyJammer, you bring up some good points.  I will definitely consider migrating the role to the 2008 server.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users