Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

any ASK and AVG removers out there?

• Please log in to reply
16 replies to this topic

#1 ToddAndMargo

ToddAndMargo

• Members
  • 61 posts
  •  
  • Local time:12:01 AM

Posted 30 May 2014 - 12:22 PM

Hi All,

For Windows, does anyone know of a utility(ies) that will nuke Ask (tool bar, etc.) and AVG (tool bar, etc.)?

Many thanks,

-T

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 wpgwpg

wpgwpg

• Members
  • 1,149 posts
  •  
  • Local time:03:01 AM

Posted 30 May 2014 - 12:32 PM

Specifics differ depending on which browser you're using, and unfortunately you didn't say.  For IE11 click the gear then Add-ons.  From there you can disable or remove toolbars.

Everyone with a computer should back his system up to an external hard drive regularly.  :thumbsup:

#3 ToddAndMargo

ToddAndMargo
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 61 posts
  •  

Posted 30 May 2014 - 01:10 PM

Specifics differ depending on which browser you're using, and unfortunately you didn't say.  For IE11 click the gear then Add-ons.  From there you can disable or remove toolbars.

I wasn't specific as I meant all of them, plus the hard drive and the registry.  I do know how to remove them from the browsers manually.   I am looking for a utility(ies) I can cut lose and watch the blinking lights.

This week alone, I had to hand remove jammed AVG Safe Search from registry and hard drive.  Pain in the neck.  AVG must have about 200 entries in the registry and it spread across about four locations on the hard drive.

#4 xXToffeeXx

xXToffeeXx

Bleepin' Polar Bear

• Malware Response Instructor
  • 6,039 posts
  •  
  • Local time:08:01 AM

Posted 30 May 2014 - 01:23 PM

Try AdwCleaner as it should be able to remove both AVG toolbars and Ask toolbar. ESET Online Scanner (whilst taking a long time) will do so as well, though it doesn't target registry entries.

xXToffeeXx~

Edited by xXToffeeXx, 30 May 2014 - 01:24 PM.

~If I am helping you and you have not had a reply from me in two days, please send me a PM~

logo-25.pngID Ransomware - Identify What Ransomware Encrypted Your Files [Support Topic] - If we have helped you out and you want to support what we do, you can do so here

~Twitter~ | ~Malware Analyst at Emsisoft~

#5 bassfisher6522

bassfisher6522

• Members
  • 90 posts
  •  
  • Local time:02:01 AM

Posted 30 May 2014 - 01:27 PM

This is straight from AVG...I recommend using AVG removal utility......   http://www.avg.com/ww-en/faq.num-5200

Malwarebytes

Spybot S&D 1.6.2

Superantispyware

http://malwaretips.com/blogs/remove-ask-toolbar-and-search/

Edited by bassfisher6522, 30 May 2014 - 01:29 PM.

#6 xXToffeeXx

xXToffeeXx

Bleepin' Polar Bear

• Malware Response Instructor
  • 6,039 posts
  •  
  • Local time:08:01 AM

Posted 30 May 2014 - 01:31 PM

@bassfisher6522: AVG removal tool is for uninstalling the antivirus product, not the toolbar.

Also, none of those programs target either AVG or Ask toolbar. They are good for removing PUP software though.

xXToffeeXx~

~If I am helping you and you have not had a reply from me in two days, please send me a PM~

logo-25.pngID Ransomware - Identify What Ransomware Encrypted Your Files [Support Topic] - If we have helped you out and you want to support what we do, you can do so here

~Twitter~ | ~Malware Analyst at Emsisoft~

#7 quietman7

quietman7

Bleepin' Janitor

• Global Moderator
  • 51,117 posts
  •  

Posted 30 May 2014 - 06:30 PM

AVG Security Toolbar and AVG Secure Search (created by the makers of AVG Anti-virus) are optional add-ons when installing their anti-virus product if you choose "Customized" install instead of "Express". Since most folks choose an Express install they usually are not aware these options are also being installed as they are pre-checked by default during installation. Some users have also reported that after AVG auto-updates, it will install the toolbar as a browser add-on without input from the user.

AVG Security Toolbar and AVG Secure Search are also commonly bundled as an option with other free software users may download and install. Many folks overlook that option since it is pre-checked by default and they unknowingly install it. For example, the toolbar is bundled with PDFCreator.

So even if you decline the option to use these add-ons when installing AVG anti-virus, you may still end up finding them on your system some point after an AVG update or by unknowingly downloading and installing another program where they have been bundled. This also explains how those who never used AVG anti-virus also sometimes find AVG Secure Search and the Security Toolbar installed. Be careful what you download and read everything during the installation.

To learn more about PUPs and how you get them, please read: About those Toolbars and Add-ons - Potentially Unwanted Programs (PUPs)

Also be aware that many toolbars and Add-ons can be removed from within its program group Uninstall shortcut in Start Menu > All Programs or by using Add/Remove Programs or Programs and Features in Control Panel, so always check there first. With most adware/junkware it is strongly recommended to deal with it like a legitimate program and uninstall from Programs and Features or Add/Remove Programs in the Control Panel. In most cases, using the uninstaller of the adware not only removes the adware more effectively, but it also restores any changed configuration.
Windows Insider MVP 2017-2018
Microsoft MVP Reconnect 2016
Microsoft MVP Consumer Security 2007-2015 kO7xOZh.gif
Member of UNITE, Unified Network of Instructors and Trusted Eliminators

If I have been helpful & you'd like to consider a donation, click 38WxTfO.gif

#8 ToddAndMargo

ToddAndMargo
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 61 posts
  •  

Posted 30 May 2014 - 10:39 PM

AVG Security Toolbar and AVG Secure Search (created by the makers of AVG Anti-virus) are optional add-ons when installing their anti-virus product if you choose "Customized" install instead of "Express". Since most folks choose an Express install they usually are not aware these options are also being installed as they are pre-checked by default during installation. Some users have also reported that after AVG auto-updates, it will install the toolbar as a browser add-on without input from the user.

AVG Security Toolbar and AVG Secure Search are also commonly bundled as an option with other free software users may download and install. Many folks overlook that option since it is pre-checked by default and they unknowingly install it. For example, the toolbar is bundled with PDFCreator.

So even if you decline the option to use these add-ons when installing AVG anti-virus, you may still end up finding them on your system some point after an AVG update or by unknowingly downloading and installing another program where they have been bundled. This also explains how those who never used AVG anti-virus also sometimes find AVG Secure Search and the Security Toolbar installed. Be careful what you download and read everything during the installation.

To learn more about PUPs and how you get them, please read: About those Toolbars and Add-ons - Potentially Unwanted Programs (PUPs)

Also be aware that many toolbars and Add-ons can be removed from within its program group Uninstall shortcut in Start Menu > All Programs or by using Add/Remove Programs or Programs and Features in Control Panel, so always check there first. With most adware/junkware it is strongly recommended to deal with it like a legitimate program and uninstall from Programs and Features or Add/Remove Programs in the Control Panel. In most cases, using the uninstaller of the adware not only removes the adware more effectively, but it also restores any changed configuration.

Do you know of a utility(ies)

#9 quietman7

quietman7

Bleepin' Janitor

• Global Moderator
  • 51,117 posts
  •  

Posted 31 May 2014 - 05:38 PM

As already noted, AdwCleaner and Malwarebytes Anti-Malware should remove this kind of garbage.

AdwCleaner in particular, is a free portable adware cleaner created by Xplode (a BC Security Colleague) that will search for and remove many potentially unwanted programs (PUPs), adware, toolbars, browser hijackers, extensions, add-ons, browser helper objects (BHOs) and other junkware to include related registry entries (values, keys). It will also clean FF and Chrome extensions and Add-ons. When first run AdwCleaner includes options under the tabs to show what was found and to allow disabling detections you want to keep since not all detections are necessarily bad. The only things you can't uncheck is Chrome and Firefox preferences lines but you still can view them in the "Chrome" and "Firefox" tab. If a detection is made the preference line will be removed when running the tool.

avast! Browser Cleanup Tool is another utility but not as comprehensive.

#10 ToddAndMargo

ToddAndMargo
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 61 posts
  •  

Posted 31 May 2014 - 05:53 PM

As already noted, AdwCleaner and Malwarebytes Anti-Malware should remove this kind of garbage.

AdwCleaner in particular, is a free portable adware cleaner created by Xplode (a BC Security Colleague) that will search for and remove many potentially unwanted programs (PUPs), adware, toolbars, browser hijackers, extensions, add-ons, browser helper objects (BHOs) and other junkware to include related registry entries (values, keys). It will also clean FF and Chrome extensions and Add-ons. When first run AdwCleaner includes options under the tabs to show what was found and to allow disabling detections you want to keep since not all detections are necessarily bad. The only things you can't uncheck is Chrome and Firefox preferences lines but you still can view them in the "Chrome" and "Firefox" tab. If a detection is made the preference line will be removed when running the tool.

avast! Browser Cleanup Tool is another utility but not as comprehensive.

Thank you!  I will give AdwCleaner a spin.  How is it on AVG's toolbars?

Edited by ToddAndMargo, 31 May 2014 - 05:54 PM.

#11 quietman7

quietman7

Bleepin' Janitor

• Global Moderator
  • 51,117 posts
  •  

Posted 31 May 2014 - 05:58 PM

I will give AdwCleaner a spin.  How is it on AVG's toolbars?

It should not have any problem removing the toolbar and all related files/folders/registry entries.

#12 ToddAndMargo

ToddAndMargo
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 61 posts
  •  

Posted 31 May 2014 - 06:23 PM

I will give AdwCleaner a spin.  How is it on AVG's toolbars?

It should not have any problem removing the toolbar and all related files/folders/registry entries.

Thank you!

#13 quietman7

quietman7

Bleepin' Janitor

• Global Moderator
  • 51,117 posts
  •  

Posted 01 June 2014 - 08:50 AM

You're welcome.

#14 cat1092

cat1092

Bleeping Cat

• BC Advisor
  • 6,998 posts
  •  

Posted 04 June 2014 - 01:16 PM

I run AdwCleaner once monthly as maintenance, at least the scan, to make sure nothing is hidden that security doesn't catch.

Usually there will be at least one object in Firefox & Google Chrome found, so I clean these to be on the safe side. Will need to pay more attention next time to the results, I recall something to do with Bitdefender Traffic Light (Firefox extension) being flagged, so disabled it.

There has been some computers that I've ran this on & well over 700MB of stuff was found, on these, I always image the drive first as a precaution & make sure recovery DVD sets are available or create them myself. As these belongs to others & don't wish to be held responsible for a reinstall. However AdwCleaner has never caused having to perform one, not has left one unbootable. If this were the case, I'd reinstall anyway, to be on the safe side, as soon as practical.

Cat

Performing full disc images weekly and keeping important data off of the 'C' drive as generated can be the best defence against Malware/Ransomware attacks, as well as a wide range of other issues. 

#15 quietman7

quietman7

Bleepin' Janitor

• Global Moderator
  • 51,117 posts
  •  

Posted 04 June 2014 - 01:41 PM

IMO it's always better to err on the side of safe.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users