Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Non Operative Startup

• Please log in to reply
16 replies to this topic

#1 zod

zod

• Members
  • 5 posts
  •  
  • Local time:08:43 AM

Posted 25 May 2006 - 11:32 AM

When I turn my computer on it detects and reads my DVD-ROM over and over again indefinitely but doesn't execute Windows Xp on my hard drive. Before the computer went AWOL the last time the computer went well there was an error message, at the bottom of the screen that said
'CMOS check sum error Backup CMOS'
After which it showed LANPARTY NF4 on the screen before it initiated Windows.
Things went downhill after that.
The system would take up to 15 minutes before I get the Windows screen.
Everything froze on my screen when I used my mouse, after 6 minutes I started and had to reboot.
Will I have to replace my motherboard or do I have to format and reinstall the harddrive? :thumbsup:

AMD64 S939 DFI Lanparty UT NF4 Ultra-D PCIE
AMD ATHLON64 X2 3800+ 2.00G/2000/512K/S939
1G RAM
SATA2 160.0G Western Digital
ASUS DVD-ROM 16X DVD-E616
ASUS PCIE GF6 Extreme N6600GT 256M HDTV
Windows XP home edition

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 HitSquad

HitSquad

You're Bleepin' or you're Weepin'

• Members
  • 1,573 posts
  •  
  • Local time:07:43 AM

Posted 25 May 2006 - 12:07 PM

Hi zod.
It looks like your cmos battery may be done.
To test, reboot your system.
On the screen you'll see a message to press "Del" or "Delete" to enter setup.
If you want, just start rapidly tapping the delete key immediately after reboot.
Once in set up, on the main screen, you should see a "Load Optimized Defaults" option.
Use your arrow keys to get there.
Once highlighted, hit your enter key and then type "Y" for yes when prompted to save.
Exit setup and continue the boot proccess. (Do not power down the system to exit setup or restart as you will lose the changes you just made) :thumbsup:
If it boots normally plan on a cmos battery.
Just a note but this is a one shot deal. The next time it reboots, you'll get the same problem until you replace the battery.
BTW, if you're using a usb keyboard, you'll need a ps2 instead.

Edited by HitSquad, 25 May 2006 - 12:30 PM.

#3 zod

zod
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 5 posts
  •  

Posted 25 May 2006 - 12:36 PM

My screen stays dark with nothing on it. The green indication light of my DVD-ROM flashes when the computer reads it followed by the red indiction light of my hard drive. It keeps repeating itself indifinietely.

#4 Enthusiast

Enthusiast

• Members
  • 5,898 posts
  •  

Posted 25 May 2006 - 02:12 PM

If the computer is more than two years old replace the cmos battery.
It is certainly cheap enough.

After you replace it enter setup and make sure your boot order is correct.

#5 zod

zod
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 5 posts
  •  

Posted 26 May 2006 - 06:30 AM

My computer is only 2 months old

#6 Enthusiast

Enthusiast

• Members
  • 5,898 posts
  •  

Posted 26 May 2006 - 06:39 AM

It can still be defective although less likely.

What is your boot order?

Also, try going into safe mode (start tapping F8 as soon as the system boots - before it tries to load windows), and choose "Last Known Good Configuration".

When did the computer go "AWOL" the "Last Time" and what did you do to correct that problem? Was it ever completely corrected?

Do you know exactly when (what date) the problem began - (the original problem if it was never fixed, or the current problem if it was).

Do you have this system overclocked?

Are you trying to boot from the SATA drive?

#7 zod

zod
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 5 posts
  •  

Posted 26 May 2006 - 09:22 AM

Normaly as the computer is turned on the system detectes my d: drive then I get the Windows logo on the screen after which I get my logon name then my windows desktop. The problem is the computer runs the d drive with the green indication light plinking 7 times followed by the red hard drive indication light blinking 1 time and the loop repeats itself indefinitaly. The computer doesn't initiate Windows. And no I didn't overclocked my system nor I made any kind of modifications on my system.

#8 ThorXP

ThorXP

• Banned
  • 880 posts
  •  

Posted 26 May 2006 - 09:27 AM

When booting does your computer beep? Of so the beeps will be like either short beeps or longer beeps copuld you write down the beeps sounds like long, short, short, long. They mean something and having the right sequence should tell what it is.

#9 zod

zod
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 5 posts
  •  

Posted 26 May 2006 - 11:01 AM

There a no beeps of any kind.

#10 ivi3175

ivi3175

• Members
  • 2 posts
  •  
  • Local time:05:43 AM

Posted 23 June 2006 - 12:17 AM

Hello, I'm new to this site but was wondering if there was a resolution to this problem. My computer has had the same troubles. When it boots, it spends anywhere between 1 - 20 minutes "going through" my dvd-rom and dvd-rw drives. By "going through", I mean that the "busy" lights on the drives flash intermittently, in no particular order. I would assume that the computer is trying to boot through these two drives, but that is only a guess. Any help would be appreciated.

#11 Enthusiast

Enthusiast

• Members
  • 5,898 posts
  •  

Posted 23 June 2006 - 01:51 PM

Zod - check to make sure the Sata drive hasn't come unplugged. It is common for them to do so if you move the computer around (like for a lan party).

ivi3175 - go into your bios setup and make sure your hard drive is in the boot order. I would make it first, at least temporarily. and boot the computer and see what happens. If it doesn't boot into Windows you may have a bad hard drive.

#12 pc-details

pc-details

• Members
  • 32 posts
  •  

Posted 24 June 2006 - 01:59 AM

The CMOS battery has nothing to do with this problem. That only saves the previous configuration and would show up as a time/date error. You would then be directed to go to setup (BIOS settings).

If the computer posts, then the problem is possibly the result of the hard drive not being found. This property been known to be altered by some viruses and/or spyware. The first thing to do is go to the BIOS and make sure that the Hard Drive is listed at all. If it shows as NONE or NOT INSTALLED then change that back to AUTO or ON (depending on your BIOS version).

The boot process typically consists of:

A: The BIOS will search to identify the attached hardware. It will look for all IDE drives (Hard Drive, CD and DVD drives), Floppy drives, memory and video (among others). If it can't find a device, it will look for a while and then just decide that none exists. If the problem is simply no video and there is both an onboard and added video card, the wrong one could be set as the default. Plug the monitor into the other one and check the video priority. If you change it, make sure to plug the monitor back into the option selected before you turn it back on. This is actually something that could be a problem if the CMOS battery is dead since it would revert to the original BIOS setting.

B: The processor will search for an operating system in the boot order listed in the CMOS settings. If it can not find a hard drive, it will keep searching the other devices in the boot list to find an operating system. Often, especially in newer computers with on-board LAN, the Network is listed in the boot order, but the LAN must be enabled. Ususally, there will be an error message saying that the operating system is not found.

C: Windows XP embeds the Master Boot Record (the hard drive ID transmitted to the processor) within kernel files that are part of the sacred Windows program. If the master boot record files are corrupted then your computer will probably not go past a blinking cursor in the upper left hand corner. This could require restoring or reinstalling Windows.

D: The drivers are loaded while Windows XP is starting. If the screen gets to the XP logo and stays there, then there is problem loading some particular driver. Question: Is the computer connected to the network by a LAN or broadband that is always on during boot? If so, start the computer while not connected. If the computer goes right to Windows, then you possibly have a virus associated with the Internet.

Try all of that...

#13 pc-details

pc-details

• Members
  • 32 posts
  •  

Posted 24 June 2006 - 02:40 AM

I want to clarify some misleading statements in the earlier posts.

1. The keys to enter the BIOS setup vary between different computer, motherboard and BIOS manufacturers. The DEL key is correct for computers using Award or AMI BIOS, as well as eMachines and some Dells. Most Compaqs are F10, while Gateways are F1. Many use F2 or a combination with the Ctrl and Alt keys. You may want to look up your particular computer on this site: http://www.michaelstevenstech.com/bios_manufacturer.htm.

2. A USB keyboard can be used as long as the USB option is enabled. If there is a built-in USB port, then there should be the ability to use a USB mouse and/or keyboard. Some older computers may not have that capability, but a BIOS update could help. Depending on the version of BIOS, there may be a setting for PS/2 to autodetect. That is usually the default. You can also choose to ignore keyboard errors during the post for diagnostic purposes.

3. If you have a fast processor, tapping on the F8 key lightly will not be enough to get you to safe mode. You pretty much have to hold the F8 key immediately after it turns on. Disabling the quick boot may help to give you more time to catch it.

4. If Windows did not have a last known good configuration, you would WANT to go to safe mode. If it starts in safe mode, that would eliminate the basic windows files. Beyond that, if there is a problem loading a driver, I believe there is an option to load the drivers one by one (it should say something like verify). You can narrow down the particular driver that way also.

5. Beep Codes and lights are used for troubleshooting. Your provided user manual and/or the technical support on the manufacturer's website should help you to understand their meaning and steps to take for diagnosis.

#14 ivi3175

ivi3175

• Members
  • 2 posts
  •  
  • Local time:05:43 AM

Posted 26 June 2006 - 10:55 PM

I have tried some of your suggestions:
A. I checked the BIOS and found the following boot order
1. IDE Hard drive
2. Floppy
3. CD-ROM
I have not touched anything with the monitor for a very long time. I will try the swap, next time I have an extra 20 minutes to spare for the added boot time.

B. The boot order is listed above and the network is not in the boot order.

C. I'm not sure how to check if the file are corrupt, but my computer will eventually boot and load Windows.

D. Yes, my internet connection is always on. I tried booting while disconnected from the cable modem, but this changed nothing.

One caveat. I have recently run Ad-Aware because my system had been overtaken by spyware (internet stopped working). It had been ages since I had run any type of computer defense software. I have purged all critical objects and update my firewall software. I have yet to run a virus scan. There might be something there that is not removed by Ad-Aware. I will try the monitor swap and re-post my findings. Thanks for your help.

#15 pc-details

pc-details

• Members
  • 32 posts
  •  

Posted 27 June 2006 - 08:16 AM

The suggestions I provided regarding the monitor were intended for the person who had no video.

If you have recently had an infiltration of Adware/spyware and/or viruses, then I would suspect a possible corruption of your Windows core files. Some of these embed themselves so deep that when they are cleaned out, the original file structure is left damaged. I would definitely run a virus scan immediately if not sooner. AdAware is very good for spyware but it only catches certain things. A virus scan searches more for viruses such as trojans and worms which can cause much deadlier consequences.
Always make sure you clear out all cookies and temporary internet files. Go to "Internet Options"; Under the "General" tab; select "Delete Cookies"; say OK to "Are you sure" or something like that; wait for the hourglass to go away; then select "Delete Files"; Click the box for "Delete all offline content"; click OK; wait for the hourglass to go away. Then, click the "Advanced" tab; scroll down until you see "Security" check the box for "Empty Temporary Internet Files when browser is closed". This will keep them from staying on your computer in the future.
You can use the Microsoft tool to search for and remove malicious software. Download their Malicious Software Removal Tool at http://www.microsoft.com/downloads/details...;DisplayLang=en
If you don't have a current subscription for anti-virus software, download one of those free trial versions or scan online - using a reputable source. Personally, I use TrendMicro's pc Housecall at http://housecall.trendmicro.com/ but there are others. Look at Microsoft's Security Partners for Anti-virus system introductory offers at http://www.microsoft.com/athome/security/v...us/default.mspx.
You may want to consider a fresh re-install of Windows if your computer is badly corrupted or if you have the original software.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users