Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

My operating system does a random shutdown when not in use! I am able to restart

• Please log in to reply
3 replies to this topic

#1 rosco21239

rosco21239

• Members
  • 1 posts
  •  
  • Local time:03:56 PM

Posted 30 May 2014 - 11:55 AM

My windows 7 OS does a random shutdown when not in use. I am able to do a restart and no data is lost. 

My OS has the appropriate protections active such as Malwarebytes Anti-Malware PRO; Microsoft Security Essentials and the necessary scheduled maintenace tasks that one should have.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 wpgwpg

wpgwpg

• Members
  • 1,149 posts
  •  
  • Local time:03:56 PM

Posted 30 May 2014 - 12:15 PM

I'd suspect heat first although that's a shot in the dark since you haven't given any details about your computer configuration or age.  I use SpeedFan to check temps, but there're others as well.  If your core temps get over 50 degrees C, you may need to clean the dust out of the computer using a can of compressed gas.

Good luck.

Everyone with a computer should back his system up to an external hard drive regularly.  :thumbsup:

#3 wing987

wing987

• Members
  • 177 posts
  •  
  • Local time:01:56 PM

Posted 30 May 2014 - 03:39 PM

Rosco, there are many possible problems and having good and detailed information about the system and problems would help troubleshoot the issues. However, Wpywpg has a good point in that the first thing I would check is the dust, ESPECIALLY in a laptop where there is no chance for heat dissapation when dust is clogging the intakes.

-- Windows 7 Ultimate on custom built system, Windows 10 on under powered laptop. Sophos UTM 9, Ubuntu Server and Windows Server 2008 R2. HyperV Virtualization --

"The hottest places in hell are reserved for those who in a period of moral crisis maintain their neutrality," John F. Kennedy

#4 dc3

dc3

Bleeping Treehugger

• Members
  • 30,690 posts
  •  
  • Local time:12:56 PM

Posted 30 May 2014 - 03:54 PM

Please download and install Speccy to provide us with information about your computer.  When  FileHippo opens, click on Download latest version in the upper right pane.

When Speccy opens you will see a screen similar to the one below.

speccy9_zps2d9cdedc.png

Click on File which is outlined in red in the screen above, and then click on Publish Snapshot.

The following screen will appear, click on Yes.

speccy7_zpsfa02105f.png

The following screen will appear, click on Copy to Clipboard.

speccy3_zps1791b093.png

In your next post right click inside the Reply to Topic box, then click on Paste.  This will load a link to the Speccy log.

Please download MiniToolBox  , save it to your desktop and run it.

Checkmark the following checkboxes:

• List last 10 Event Viewer log
• List Installed Programs
• List Users, Partitions and Memory size.
• List Minidump Files

Click on Go to start the scan.  Once it is finished highlight the text, copy it and paste it in your next post.

Family and loved ones will always be a priority in my daily life.  You never know when one will leave you.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users