Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Need motherboard recomendation "

• Please log in to reply
9 replies to this topic

#1 ZashieYo

ZashieYo

• Members
  • 40 posts
  •  
  • Local time:09:54 PM

Posted 30 May 2014 - 11:44 AM

Okay so after a litle observation i've decided i should rebuild the home PC,

So far i have these parts

i5 2320

GTX 550ti

Need ram [2X4GB DDR 3 or 4x2gb would be prefered]

Need a motherboard

(No overclocking, but just want good reliability, i thought about b75)

enermax cyclops 500w PSU

so i need a recomendation on, RAM and Motherboard, and maybe a HDD but im gonna buy a Used 500gb one ot go with it

Also can i get away with something like a Zalman CPU cooler or such, I don't want to use the stock due to bad experience in the past with them.

Edited by Orange Blossom, 30 May 2014 - 10:50 PM.
Moved to more appropriate forum. ~ OB

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 wpgwpg

wpgwpg

• Members
  • 1,149 posts
  •  
  • Local time:12:54 AM

Posted 30 May 2014 - 12:08 PM

Intel probably makes the best motherboards, but they're also the most expensive.  Asus has a very good reputation and is reasonably priced.  Biostar probably makes some of the least expensive, and in my experience they last 3-4 years.  Since you're going with a used hard drive, you probably won't get more than that from it, if that.  For RAM, I'd start with crucial.com although most stores that sell computers also sell RAM.  You could check with Amazon, Micro Center, Best Buy, Frys, OfficeMax, etc.

Good luck.

Everyone with a computer should back his system up to an external hard drive regularly.  :thumbsup:

#3 Mistersprinkles

Mistersprinkles

• Banned
  • 118 posts
  •  

Posted 30 May 2014 - 09:49 PM

Intel probably makes the best motherboards, but they're also the most expensive.

First of all, Intel no longer makes motherboards (although they did make boards that'll support Sandybridge). Secondly, Intel boards are not the most expensive, and thirdly, Intel boards are NOT the highest quality.

I've seen you around here a fair bit and you appear to like to pull infomation out of your backside. Do you think you're benefitting anybody by doing this?

Also, you can't say "Biostar boards last three to four years". That's BS. There are SO many variables to motherboard longevity from one system and environment to the next you can't possibly lump every board from a single brand into a pile and say "These last 3 years."

OP- please give us a budget for your motherboard. B75 seems like a good bet.

BTW Why would you want to run 4x2GB instead of 2x4GB?? It seems kind of counter productive. If you run 2x8 you leave 2 RAM slots for future expansion.

Edited by Mistersprinkles, 30 May 2014 - 09:51 PM.

#4 wpgwpg

wpgwpg

• Members
  • 1,149 posts
  •  

Posted 01 June 2014 - 05:31 PM

Intel probably makes the best motherboards, but they're also the most expensive.

First of all, Intel no longer makes motherboards (although they did make boards that'll support Sandybridge). Secondly, Intel boards are not the most expensive, and thirdly, Intel boards are NOT the highest quality.

Funny I just came from Intel's site where they have numerous motherboards listed there

http://www.intel.com/content/www/us/en/motherboards/desktop-motherboards/motherboards.html?wapkw=motherboards

and speccy says the motherboards in my Toshiba laptop and Dell desktop are made by Intel.  Hmmmmm.

Everyone with a computer should back his system up to an external hard drive regularly.  :thumbsup:

#5 Mistersprinkles

Mistersprinkles

• Banned
  • 118 posts
  •  

Posted 01 June 2014 - 05:40 PM

... :smash:

Did you notice there are no Z97 boards on that site? Intel NO longer makes motherboards. They stopped after Z87. They will not be making a Haswell-refresh or Broadwell platform. I said Intel no longer makes boards although they did make boards that support the OPs needs. 

No doubt your Toshi and Dell laptops were made before May of this year? Z97 and derivatives will gradually replace Z87 as well as derivative lower end platofms (H87, B85, etc) this year. 

Your laptops could very well have Intel motherboards. Does that prove anything? We're talking about Intel not making the best boards. The fact that you have Intel boards proves nothing.

http://www.anandtech.com/show/6685/the-end-of-an-era-intels-desktop-motherboard-business-to-ramp-down-over-next-3-years

^Read!

Edited by Mistersprinkles, 01 June 2014 - 05:42 PM.

#6 ZashieYo

ZashieYo
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 40 posts
  •  
  • Local time:09:54 PM

Posted 02 June 2014 - 01:43 AM

I've seen you around here a fair bit and you appear to like to pull infomation out of your backside. Do you think you're benefitting anybody by doing this?

Also, you can't say "Biostar boards last three to four years". That's BS. There are SO many variables to motherboard longevity from one system and environment to the next you can't possibly lump every board from a single brand into a pile and say "These last 3 years."

BTW Why would you want to run 4x2GB instead of 2x4GB?? It seems kind of counter productive. If you run 2x8 you leave 2 RAM slots for future expansion.

Motherboard budget is about 35gbp - 50gbp or a sack of potatoes :D!

Why would i want 4x2 instead of 2x4?

More RAM sticks, looks better inside the case, makes it feel more....complete + If need's be where i know someone that might need a stick or so, i can just send em it :]

and please :( can the thing with the fishy member thing or something be put to another thread? :0

Edited by ZashieYo, 02 June 2014 - 01:45 AM.

#7 killerx525

killerx525

Bleepin' Aussie

• Members
  • 7,220 posts
  •  
  • Local time:03:54 PM

Posted 02 June 2014 - 03:19 AM

Hi, the 1155 motherboards that are currently available are pretty limited but i did find the Gigabyte GA-Z77-DS3H that is reasonable and certainly fit in your budget range on Scan UK but the next logical upgrade would be the Gigabyte GA-Z77-D3H which comes in at 72.92gbp.

>Michael 
System1: CPU- Intel Core i7-5820K @ 4.4GHz, CPU Cooler- Noctua NH-D14, RAM- G.Skill Ripjaws 16GB Kit(4Gx4) DDR3 2133MHz, SSD/HDD- Samsung 850 EVO 250GB/Western Digital Caviar Black 1TB/Seagate Barracuada 3TB, GPU- 2x EVGA GTX980 Superclocked @1360/MHz1900MHz, Motherboard- Asus X99 Deluxe, Case- Custom Mac G5, PSU- EVGA P2-1000W, Soundcard- Realtek High Definition Audio, OS- Windows 10 Pro 64-Bit
Games: APB: Reloaded, Hours played: 3100+  System2: Late 2011 Macbook Pro 15inch   OFw63FY.png

#8 Mistersprinkles

Mistersprinkles

• Banned
  • 118 posts
  •  

Posted 02 June 2014 - 01:45 PM

Motherboard budget is about 35gbp - 50gbp or a sack of potatoes :D!

Why would i want 4x2 instead of 2x4?

More RAM sticks, looks better inside the case, makes it feel more....complete + If need's be where i know someone that might need a stick or so, i can just send em it :]

and please :( can the thing with the fishy member thing or something be put to another thread? :0

You never want to cannibalize your system to send somebody a part. That's insane. You don't want to run 3 sticks of RAM on your system either as 1 stick will not be in dual channel. 

Running more sticks puts more stress on the memory controller and is ultimately a foolish thing to do, mainly because you are blocking 2 slots unnecessarily. Get 2x4GB, leave the other 2 slots open for an additional 2x4GB in the future. 

#9 synergy513

synergy513

• BC Advisor
  • 1,065 posts
  •  
  • Local time:11:54 PM

Posted 02 June 2014 - 04:21 PM

i like the asrock motherboards myself.

most models for the 1155 socket  series are budget friendly, and they have sweet UEFI BIOS also that most users like.

http://pcpartpicker.com/parts/motherboard/#sort=a8&m=7&s=14

Edited by synergy513, 02 June 2014 - 04:25 PM.

Moore's Law : 4d Graph in Progress

#10 Mistersprinkles

Mistersprinkles

• Banned
  • 118 posts
  •  

Posted 02 June 2014 - 05:35 PM

ASRock makes a solid motherboard. They've come a long way from being ASUS' bargain bin line back in the day. I like ASUS boards best myself but their RMA is terrible unless you buy an ROG board.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users