Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Windows 7 Will Not Start at All-Just Black Screen

• Please log in to reply
3 replies to this topic

#1 RoseOfPain

RoseOfPain

• Members
  • 7 posts
  •  
  • Local time:04:48 PM

Posted 30 May 2014 - 11:41 AM

Hi, first of all, thanks so much for your help.

I have searched EVERYWHERE for this solution and have had no relief. I try to research so I cn figure it out myself, but I need help this time!

Problem:  I first started having problems where I was able to get my comp started but the display was skewed and I hard to restart to that to fix, I did that twice, then it decided to not load at all.the computer starts, you hear the fan kick in and the comp trying to read the drive. I tried a million and one times. Then today it decided to start, so I put that sucker in Safe Mode w/Networking.

I ran Windows Defender, Avast Quick Scan and I would get negative results. I wasn't able to turn on Windows Secuirty on and it would not let me update my Avast definitions or turn it on, I had to do a manual quick scan.

I wasn't convinced that I was virus free so I went to Panda Secuirty scan, in the middle of that, the display shut off, the computer was on because the green indicator light was on, but the computer was useless.

Also everytime I try to put it, the fan kicks in, you can hear the clicks of the computer trying to read the drive, but I get a black screen, and that's it. I don't even get my Toshiba splash screen.

I've tried and have been unsuccessful doing the following:

Avast Scan

Windows Defender

Recovery Disc (won't load or boot up from)

Repair Disc (won't load or boot up from)

Avg Boot Utility on USB stick (won't load or boot up from)

Removed the hard drive and put it back

Removed the battery and tried to boot without it

Removed the Ram and put it back in

I don't even know what to try anymore.

Thanks in advance.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 wpgwpg

wpgwpg

• Members
  • 1,149 posts
  •  

Posted 30 May 2014 - 11:58 AM

Unfortunately it sounds like hardware problems.  It's possible that your CD/DVD drive is the cause of your not being able to boot from discs, so I'd try cleaning it using an inexpensive kit you can buy at most stores that sell computers.  Since it won't boot from flash drives though, it might be more serious.  You could try getting a new SODIMM stick and replacing your existing RAM to see if it's the RAM since that's the next least expensive thing you could do (probably $25 give or take for a 2 GB DDR3).  If that doesn't work, I'd suspect motherboard problems, possibly bad caps.  That would be expensive to repair, possibly more than the value of the computer (I'd guess $250 to $300 in local repair shops).  If you have data you don't want to lose, you could remove the hard drive, put it in an enclosure, and plug it into a USB port on a working computer.

Everyone with a computer should back his system up to an external hard drive regularly.  :thumbsup:

#3 RoseOfPain

RoseOfPain
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 7 posts
  •  

Posted 30 May 2014 - 12:07 PM

Unfortunately it sounds like hardware problems.  It's possible that your CD/DVD drive is the cause of your not being able to boot from discs, so I'd try cleaning it using an inexpensive kit you can buy at most stores that sell computers.  Since it won't boot from flash drives though, it might be more serious.  You could try getting a new SODIMM stick and replacing your existing RAM to see if it's the RAM since that's the next least expensive thing you could do (probably $25 give or take for a 2 GB DDR3).  If that doesn't work, I'd suspect motherboard problems, possibly bad caps.  That would be expensive to repair, possibly more than the value of the computer (I'd guess $250 to $300 in local repair shops).  If you have data you don't want to lose, you could remove the hard drive, put it in an enclosure, and plug it into a USB port on a working computer.

Thanks for your post, after I submitted this, I decided to try one ram stick at a time and boot, it's one stick that's faulty! My 2GBso that's that :)

#4 wpgwpg

wpgwpg

• Members
  • 1,149 posts
  •  

Posted 30 May 2014 - 12:11 PM

Great!  Thanks for the feedback.

Everyone with a computer should back his system up to an external hard drive regularly.  :thumbsup:

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users