Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Unplugged ATX12V for test, computer no longer boots

• Please log in to reply
3 replies to this topic

#1 jktree

jktree

• Members
  • 2 posts
  •  
  • Local time:01:03 PM

Posted 30 May 2014 - 09:35 AM

Amateur(possibly idiot) here.

Last night I was finding my computer fans too noisy so I decided to crack open my case to identify which was the culprit. I found the case fans being connected to molex connectors and was able to disconnect/stop them one by one. I couldn't find my cpu fan connection on motherboard or anywhere(it was hidden) so I decided to just pull the ATX12V plug for a little while. It stopped the cpu fan and I found out that my graphics card was the noisy one. All was still well so I plugged everything back in, closed case and turned in for the night.

This morning I wake up and turn on the computer to find the display not showing anything. Orange light at monitor but no graphics. I open the case and find the graphics card fans not spinning. I thought maybe my ATX12V was messed up so I turn off computer and plugged in the other 4pin counterpart. Restarted and all fans were on for a few seconds then cpu and gfx fans went off. I restarted again to see and now system would not turn all at all. No case fans or even lights.

After a while of contemplating I came to the conclusion that I might've short circuited my board so I took a old PSU to test. I unplugged most connections on the current PSU and connected only the 12pin and ATX 4pin from the old PSU into the motherboard. The cpu and gfx fans actually start up. Did I fry my current PSU?

GA-M68MT-S2 mobo

gigabyte gtx560

amd phenom ii x6 1100t

cx500 (current possibly fried PSU)

windows 7

Thanks in advance

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 zingo156

zingo156

• BC Advisor
  • 3,345 posts
  •  
  • Local time:12:03 PM

Posted 30 May 2014 - 01:53 PM

It could be the PSU did fry, did you get video with the older psu attached? I am assuming you didn't test video since you didn't mention connecting the old psu to the video card. I would fully test with a different psu... If the computer works with the old psu and not the current one, I would assume there is a problem with the current psu.

If the fan is having a problem in the video card, I would replace it. Too much heat is the number 1 cause of failures in electronics. If the video card still works, replace the fan... It would be wise to watch a youtube video or 2 on how to replace a video card fan as some of the time it is not obvious or simple to do.

Also when you say the fan was too noisy, was it air noise (a fast running fan), or was it a grinding noise? The reason I ask is if it was just air noise or the fan running at full speed, the card may need to be dusted out and the fan may be fine...

Edited by zingo156, 30 May 2014 - 01:55 PM.

If I am helping you with a problem and I have not responded within 48 hours please send me a PM.

#3 jktree

jktree
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 2 posts
  •  
  • Local time:01:03 PM

Posted 30 May 2014 - 04:30 PM

Hi zingo,

I was about to connect all to the old PSU to test when I thought one last try with current PSU couldn't hurt. I plug in 12pin and atx12v to psu and connect the display. Then to my surprise the PC started up. It went to the screen where it said PC shut down irregularly and suggested startup repair. I got scared this is a short term thing and forcibly shut down the PC. So why didn't the PC boot up this morning? Is it safe to continue using my current psu?

Edit: also when I say it started up, everything looked normal, all fans were working.

Edited by jktree, 30 May 2014 - 05:21 PM.

#4 zingo156

zingo156

• BC Advisor
  • 3,345 posts
  •  
  • Local time:12:03 PM

Posted 31 May 2014 - 11:31 AM

If there was an option to continue normally, select this option first. It is normal to have warnings if windows did not shut down properly. Most of the time there will be no problem.

As to what happened to the computer is yet to be determined. Intermittent issues are the hardest to fix. Unless something is easy to reproduce, the cause is hard to determine. Keep running the rig and see if there are any BSOD reports etc.

If I am helping you with a problem and I have not responded within 48 hours please send me a PM.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users