Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Weird Mobo Hd Problem

• Please log in to reply
1 reply to this topic

#1 Mywarrior

Mywarrior

• Members
  • 20 posts
  •  
  • Local time:06:04 PM

Posted 25 May 2006 - 10:53 AM

I just installed a PC Chips M863G V5.1 MOBO and did NOT do a clean install of XP Home. Everything booted fine. "My Computer"sees two local disks (C: & D:). It appears as local disk D: has taken over. C: & D: are identical in size and seem to be mirroring each other. MBR is on C: but D: seems to be the default now.
I tried to change the name of D: from Local Disk (D:) to just Local (D:) and the Local Disk (C:) changed names also.The HD is NOT partitioned and I have only one HD installed. I am trying to avoid a clean install because this is on a Presario 115CL and I really don't want to have to reinstall all my other programs and lose data. I tried to go to system information and get the error WMI is missing or damaged. My guess is that it is on C: and that is why D: cannot find it. Is there anything I can do short of a complete recovery to get everything back to the C: drive being default?

Any help is appreciated

Thanks
Mywarrior

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 stevealmighty

stevealmighty

Bleepin' WormBreath

• Members
  • 2,629 posts
  •  
  • Local time:06:04 PM

Posted 25 May 2006 - 11:58 AM

Hi Mywarrior!

The first thing that I'd try to do is to make Windows recognize the hard drives. Go into the conrtol panel, then open up Admistrative tools. Double click on "Storage" in the right side window. Now, double click on Disk Management (local). Now, from the menu up top, click on Action then select "rescan disks".

Hopefully, this will force Windows to take a good long look at what it's got for hard drive(s), and realize that there's only 1 there.

If this doesn't work, then post again, and some one else will have to help you out, as it may be beyond my knowledge.

Hope this helps!
War produces veterans, wounded both physically and mentally. They have sacrificed for us.....and it is now our job to help these veterans, as they have already helped us in ways we will never know, in ways that we cannot fathom, and in ways that we take granted every day.
Posted Image

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users