Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

When I Open Taskmgr

• Please log in to reply
21 replies to this topic

#1 cowboy357

cowboy357

• Members
  • 87 posts
  •  
  • Local time:07:32 AM

Posted 25 May 2006 - 10:34 AM

I never used to have this problem,,,When I run clean mgr,,It will delete everything but 64 kb of WebClient Publisher,,,Its the only thing left in there but flashes in red in the box when it opens,,,,Also when My browser window opens it also flashes red below ,,,I still have the about blank problem,,,I supposedly had a clean log & was told to change my home page url & that would take care of it,,,I reposted a log on the 19th,,with no replies,,,And have done a lot more so I,m sure its no longer accurate,,,,Ive tried every fix in all of Your help sites & still cant get rid of it,,,It only makes sence to Me it has something to do with the web client thing it says it is safe to delete but it never does,,,I hope I,m making some kind of sence,,,Thanks for any input,,,Cowboy
Yer Only gonna be as happy, as You decide to be . Cowboy

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 HitSquad

HitSquad

You're Bleepin' or you're Weepin'

• Members
  • 1,573 posts
  •  

Posted 25 May 2006 - 11:47 AM

Hi cowboy357
Open regedit and navigate to H_KEY
_LOCAL_Machine\Software\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Explorer\VolumeCaches\WebClient and WebPublisher Cache.
On the right hand side, delete any entries you see, exit the registry and reboot.
Do Not delete the "WebClient and WebPublisher Cache" folder itself, only the values on the right.
One "default" will remain, that's ok.

#3 cowboy357

cowboy357
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 87 posts
  •  

Posted 25 May 2006 - 12:31 PM

ThankYou HitSquad,,,,it didn,t fix my problem,,,But thats OK it did do what I wanted,It got rid of the Web Client Publisher,,its kind of weird tho,,,the only entrys I could delete said state flag,,,& a bunch of assterics,,,Anyway I,ll work on it somemore ,,,,I appreciate Your responce,,,,& it gives Me a clue of how to find My other Possible problems,,,,Thanks Cowboy,,

#4 HitSquad

HitSquad

You're Bleepin' or you're Weepin'

• Members
  • 1,573 posts
  •  

Posted 25 May 2006 - 12:41 PM

But thats OK it did do what I wanted,It got rid of the Web Client Publisher

That's all it was intended to do. :thumbsup:
The "About blank" thing is a different story.
Might sound silly but is the url in IE's home page setting spelled correctly?
Also, check the "StartPage" value data in the following reg key, it should match your homepage url:

HKEY_CURRENT_USER\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Internet Explorer\Main

Edited by HitSquad, 25 May 2006 - 12:55 PM.

#5 ThorXP

ThorXP

• Banned
  • 880 posts
  •  
  • Local time:08:32 AM

Posted 25 May 2006 - 01:23 PM

Quote - I still have the about blank problem Unquote This is from his original first post.

Try this:

About:Blank Homepage Hijacker
Removal Instructions and Help
http://www.pchell.com/support/aboutblank.shtml

#6 cowboy357

cowboy357
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 87 posts
  •  

Posted 25 May 2006 - 03:13 PM

ThankYou again,,,Hit Squad,,,,& ThorXP,,,for Your Responce ,,,,I,m gonna try both things,,,Ive been redoing my phonelines inside because I cant keep a connection long enough to do much,,,That problems solved I hope,,,Yes I,m on dial up,,,,Thanks again,,,,Cowboy

#7 Enthusiast

Enthusiast

• Members
  • 5,898 posts
  •  

Posted 25 May 2006 - 08:50 PM

Let us know if redoing the phone line doesn't resolve the problem.

You may have tcp/ip issues.

#8 cowboy357

cowboy357
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 87 posts
  •  

Posted 26 May 2006 - 06:54 AM

yes enthusiast,,,The phone lines did the trick,,,all this time I thought it was My internet provider,,,,I Never talk on the phone But My wife said She,s been noticing static on the line,,,& that was the connection problem,,,I still have the about blank thing & Grinlers helping Me with My log,,,& He says its clean,,,I dont know what to put for a homepage But its not set on about blank,,,I,m afraid if i change it I wont be able to get online,,,any suggestions,,,,Thanks again to all,,,Cowboy

#9 Enthusiast

Enthusiast

• Members
  • 5,898 posts
  •  

Posted 26 May 2006 - 07:33 AM

Changing the homepage will not affect your getting online. It is just the page your browser goes to when it first opens.

I set mine on google.com, but you can set yours to any page you like.

#10 cowboy357

cowboy357
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 87 posts
  •  

Posted 26 May 2006 - 07:45 AM

Thanks enthusiast,,,I changed it to google just for the heck of it & hit apply then ok,,,but it keeps going back to this ,,,,,http://www.microsoft.com/isapi/redir.dll?prd=ie&pver=6&ar=msnhomeg ,,,,,could this be My problem,,,& Why cant I change it,,,,Thanks again Cowboy

#11 ThorXP

ThorXP

• Banned
  • 880 posts
  •  
  • Local time:08:32 AM

Posted 26 May 2006 - 09:19 AM

I was not suggesting to change the web page with the fix for about Blank. This is an infection like Spyware

http://www.pchell.com/support/aboutblank.shtml

#12 Enthusiast

Enthusiast

• Members
  • 5,898 posts
  •  

Posted 26 May 2006 - 09:33 AM

Try running the following ap and see if it can help:

BHO Demon
http://www.majorgeeks.com/download3550.html

(The author is no longer supporting this ap but it still is effective, depending what the hijacker is)

#13 cowboy357

cowboy357
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 87 posts
  •  

Posted 26 May 2006 - 11:20 AM

I Really appreciate everyones input,,,,Ive tried everything still no good,,,I tried the free download,,,& couldn,t find it free,,,Also Enthusiast I did what You suggested,,,still didn,t find anything,,,,I did what Hitsquad suggested in post #4,,,& found about 40 different enties in the value area,,,Didn,t look right at all I tried to print that,,,& even copy & paste but couldn,t do either,,,,I,m begining to think its competely a problem with My netzero internet provider or the free norton stuff They provided,,,cuz thats all that shows in My hjt log,,,Anyway,,,I,m still open to ideas,,,Grinlers still trying to help Me with My log,,,,Thanks again to all,,,Cowboy

#14 buddy215

buddy215

• BC Advisor
  • 12,987 posts
  •  

Posted 26 May 2006 - 12:03 PM

Hey Cowboy357, I advised you once before to get rid of Net00000. You may have missed it because you opened a different thread. Their software is designed to block you from using any browser as a default except IE. They use a lot of the bandwidth that you are paying for to send huge volume of ads. Check around your area and find a new ISP such as PeoplePC or Netscape or one of the smaller ISPs. Net0000 also dumps your internet connection every 2 hours or so. When you do notify them by phone that you are dumping them make sure to ask for verification of your notice in writing (email). Don't accept anything they tell you verbally. Also, a lot of the IPs offer faster downloads if you pay more. That is just a gimmick that is not worth anything. All they are doing is using your computer to store pages that you visit that don't change everyday and degrading images.

“Every atom in your body came from a star that exploded and the atoms in your left hand probably came from a different star than your right hand. It really is the most poetic thing I know about physics...you are all stardust.”Lawrence M. Krauss

A 1792 U.S. penny, designed in part by Thomas Jefferson and George Washington, reads “Liberty Parent of Science & Industry.”

#15 cowboy357

cowboy357
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 87 posts
  •  

Posted 26 May 2006 - 12:37 PM

Hey Buddy 215,,,Yes i remember,,,but You also were being nice and not pushing any other providers,,,so I didn,t push the topic,,,You are exactly right tho,,,,,I have had nothing but problems with them ,,,theyre even worse now because when I get disconnected every 2 hours or so,,the window opens up with a friggen voice commercial,,,Like gyco,,,Or real estate ads,,,Anyway I,ve been checking into people pc,,,But when I log on to sign up I all of a sudden get disconnected,,,go figure,,,,Whats wrong with that picture,,,Also I have signed up for other things where I had to give my phone #,,,As soon as I disconnected My phone rang with an automated message from netzero,,,Theres no way They had My phone #,,,,Because I changed it after sighning with them,,,So thanks for Your Responce,,,& I,ll check into it more,,,I dont care if I loose the rest of the Year contract,,,But are You saying They,ll keep charging Me anyway,,,,Thanks again,,,,Cowboy

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users