Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Hard drive replacement in old laptop & Windows re-installation

• Please log in to reply
8 replies to this topic

#1 HCkev

HCkev

• Members
  • 2 posts
  •  
  • Local time:06:00 PM

Posted 29 May 2014 - 09:12 PM

Hello there,

I pulled out a old laptop(HP Pavillon ze2000) out of the dust, which I plan on using on occasion for basic web browsing and for emergency purposes. The old laptop runs on Windows XP Home and won't be able to upgrade to anything higher due to its low specs and lack of Widnows Vista/7/8 drivers. I know the support for Windows XP has ended and this will cause potential security risks, but this won't be used very often and not for anything serious, and will run on a non-administrator account.

When I turned the laptop on, it was rather slow(Windows XP should runs fine on this), so I checked the SMART status for the hard drive and there was a lot of reallocated sectors. So I ordered a new hard drive, but since this is a old laptop, it uses IDE hard drive, so I ordered via eBay as they are otherwise very hard to find brand enw where I live in Canada, for a decent price at least. The original hard drive in the laptop was a 80GB Fujjitsu HDD, I bought a 120GB Hitachi Travelstar (eBay Auction: http://www.ebay.ca/itm/261472786635?ssPageName=STRK:MEWNX:IT&_trksid=p3984.m1497.l2649)

I tried to make a disk image in order to clone the hard drive, but it failed after several attempts and trying with 3 different software (Clonezilla, Marcrum Reflect and DriveImage XML), probably due to the bad sectors. No big deal, I'll just do a clean install.

So I installed the new hard drive in the laptop, taking attention to the jumped (the old HDD was set on Cable select, so I set the new one to cable select as well).

However, I'm running into problems when trying to install Windows XP. Since the optical drive isn't working anymore, I made a bootable flash drive and ran the installation from there. The installation starts, then after a few minutes, I get a BSOD. The error codes are 0x0000007B (0xF902F524, 0xC0000034, 0x00000000)

I did some googleling, but the only solution I could find was to disable AHCI and set the hard drive to IDE - Except I'm using a IDE hard drive, so this doesn't apply in this case.

The hard drive is detected in the BIOS, and I also booted in Mini Windows XP using Hiren's BootCD, the hard drive was detected. I formatted the hard drive without problem (did a full format, which took over an hour) and tried installing Windows again - same BSOD.

I tried changing the jumped position the IDE hard drive, but still the same issue. The old hard drive was on cable select anyway and it worked, so the new HDD should work on cable select too.

So here I am, I'm not sure what to do now. The hard drive seems to be working correctly since it is detected and I was able to format it without problem, but Windows XP keeps giving me a BSOD when installing.

Any help would be very appreciated.

Thank you!

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

m

#2 wpgwpg

wpgwpg

• Members
  • 1,149 posts
  •  

Posted 29 May 2014 - 10:13 PM

Have you thought about Linux?  It runs very well on anything that can run XP.  The Ubuntu and Mint versions have Windows-like user interfaces, they're easy to download and install, and they're supported.  

Everyone with a computer should back his system up to an external hard drive regularly.  :thumbsup:

#3 NickAu

NickAu

Bleepin' Fish Doctor

• 11,710 posts
  •  
  • Local time:09:00 AM

Posted 29 May 2014 - 10:22 PM

Have you thought about Linux?  It runs very well on anything that can run XP.  The Ubuntu and Mint versions have Windows-like user interfaces, they're easy to download and install, and they're supported.  

Did somebody say Linux?

As its a spare machine that you plan to only use sometimes, It may be a good idea to try Linux, You do not have to install it to HDD, you can boot it from a Live disk or install it to USB stick/HDD.

Edited by NickAu1, 29 May 2014 - 10:23 PM.

#4 md92h

md92h

• Members
  • 30 posts
  •  
  • Local time:01:30 AM

Posted 30 May 2014 - 07:59 AM

since you have a Hiren BootCD, you can run test your HDD and rest of the hardwares using what is available on Hiren. this problem may well be related to RAM. you can test RAM using Memtest86 and PC-Check (based on Hiren version). with PC-Check you can test Motherboard, CPU, RAM, Graphic and HDD. even if you don't have Memtest86 and PC-Check there are still softwares to check your hardware. 

#5 HCkev

HCkev
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 2 posts
  •  

Posted 30 May 2014 - 11:52 PM

Thank you all for the replies.

Since I won't be the only one using the PC, installing Linux is not really a solution, unfortunately.

But anyway, I finally found the problem. It was my Windows XP bootable USB drive that had a problem. I rebuilt the ISO image on the drive and it magically worked...I have no idea why it didn't make the bootable drive properly the first time, but anyway. Bad luck, I guess  :rolleyes:  I'll try to rebuild the USB drive the next time this happen, ahah.

Thanks again for trying to help me. :)

#6 hamluis

hamluis

• 54,836 posts
  •  
  • Local time:04:00 PM

Posted 31 May 2014 - 09:59 AM

since you have a Hiren BootCD, you can run test your HDD and rest of the hardwares using what is available on Hiren. this problem may well be related to RAM. you can test RAM using Memtest86 and PC-Check (based on Hiren version). with PC-Check you can test Motherboard, CPU, RAM, Graphic and HDD. even if you don't have Memtest86 and PC-Check there are still softwares to check your hardware. 

Just a couple of notes :).

This website does not support recommending Hiren's or any other software where MS legal issues are involved.

Recommending ISOs of Windows Recovery Discs or pre-made ISOs of WinPE-BartPE - http://www.bleepingcomputer.com/forums/topic382841.html

Your suggestion re PC-Check...we generally do no suggest that members go out and buy software that is not needed.  There are various free alternatives to diagnosing hardware situations...where the only payment involved is user time.

Louis

#7 cat1092

cat1092

Bleeping Cat

• BC Advisor
  • 6,887 posts
  •  
  • Local time:05:00 PM

Posted 31 May 2014 - 01:38 PM

Complete instructions right here. 

https://sites.google.com/site/easylinuxtipsproject/mint-xfce

If there's others whom are using the computer only for Web access, this is supported & by far, more secure. Firefox, Google Chrome & Opera works the same way on Linux as it does XP, or any version of Windows for that matter. Plus boots & fully loads 2-3 times faster. 

Cat

Performing full disc images weekly and keeping important data off of the 'C' drive as generated can be the best defence against Malware/Ransomware attacks, as well as a wide range of other issues. 

#8 md92h

md92h

• Members
  • 30 posts
  •  
  • Local time:01:30 AM

Posted 01 June 2014 - 05:19 AM

Just a couple of notes :).

This website does not support recommending Hiren's or any other software where MS legal issues are involved.

Recommending ISOs of Windows Recovery Discs or pre-made ISOs of WinPE-BartPE - http://www.bleepingcomputer.com/forums/topic382841.html

Your suggestion re PC-Check...we generally do no suggest that members go out and buy software that is not needed.  There are various free alternatives to diagnosing hardware situations...where the only payment involved is user time.

Louis

thanks for the notice. i should've read the rules first but i'll do that right now.

#9 hamluis

hamluis

• 54,836 posts
  •  
  • Local time:04:00 PM

Posted 01 June 2014 - 08:17 AM

:thumbup2: , it happens :).

Louis

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users