Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

The Hard Drive that isn't really there

• Please log in to reply
6 replies to this topic

#1 LadyIssu

LadyIssu

• Members
  • 2 posts
  •  
  • Local time:12:15 PM

Posted 29 May 2014 - 05:42 PM

I need some help

Seriously.

After getting through the school day with my Hardrive working fine i get to my afterschool program

plug it in

and not show up.

My computer recognizes its plugged in and that its there.

However it won't show up in my 'Computer' area. (yes i said area like a noob.)

All my homework and job work is on it and i need to access it.

I've ejected it and replugged it in.

checked for loose USB ports

restarted my computer

trouble shot both my computer and it

and browsed google for answers

with friutless answers.

So i'm starting this up in hopes i can get an answer.

If you know what i should do

then please

please let me know.

thanks.

-LadyIssu

Edited by hamluis, 30 May 2014 - 09:17 AM.
Moved from Win 7 to Internal Hardware - Hamluis.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

m

#2 JohnnyJammer

JohnnyJammer

• Members
  • 1,107 posts
  •  
  • Local time:06:15 AM

Posted 29 May 2014 - 07:55 PM

open Run and type compmgmt.msc and hit enter, navigate down to Disk Management and then wait for it to populate the disks.

After that you should see the disk but it might be offline or have a an issue, if its offline right click and make it online.

See what you get after doign that and report back.

Edited by JohnnyJammer, 29 May 2014 - 07:56 PM.

#3 LadyIssu

LadyIssu
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 2 posts
  •  
  • Local time:12:15 PM

Posted 29 May 2014 - 08:16 PM

open Run and type compmgmt.msc and hit enter, navigate down to Disk Management and then wait for it to populate the disks.

After that you should see the disk but it might be offline or have a an issue, if its offline right click and make it online.

See what you get after doign that and report back.

Reporting back

I did as you instructed

it did not show up at all

however there was an I/O device Error

#4 JohnC_21

JohnC_21

• Members
  • 21,596 posts
  •  
  • Local time:03:15 PM

Posted 29 May 2014 - 08:29 PM

"My computer recognizes its plugged in and that its there"

How did you determine this if it does not show up in "Computer"?

Nothing shows in Disk Management? Is there any disk that shows as "RAW"?

#5 JohnnyJammer

JohnnyJammer

• Members
  • 1,107 posts
  •  
  • Local time:06:15 AM

Posted 29 May 2014 - 08:32 PM

if you goto Run again and type eventvwr.msc, look for the errors under Custom View/Administrative Events. That will give you more info for the IO error.

Its sounding  liek the actual controller on the HDD (USB?) has failed. I think the harddrive it self is fine but the usb controller attached would be faulty.

Which emans the data would be fine if you take the thing out of the plastic and use a HDD dockign station.

#6 wing987

wing987

• Members
  • 177 posts
  •  
  • Local time:02:15 PM

Posted 30 May 2014 - 04:08 PM

From what I read I agree with JohnnyJammer but would like to add that you can buy a cheap $9 HD enclousure for both the 3.5" (thick) and 2.5" (thin) hard drives.  Depending on the model and maker of your external HD you may need to carefully pry it from the case, and often this will destroy the existing case. However, once you remove it you can use the enclosure and have the USB functions back.

On a side note, I recommend investing in a new HD and transferring your files to it. With the problems that you can have with a USB controller there may be unseen issues in the data on the platters and it is best to get this moved to a new device.  If the files are that critical, get two HD's and use one as a weekly backup to ensure that you never lose them if a hard drive goes bad again.

*The following is a tested but unreliable, and NOT RECOMMENDED method of data recovery in emergency situations:  Wrap the HD in saran/plastic wrap, then put it in a plastic ziplock bag with a dry paper towel (to prevent moisure buildup). Place the bag in the freezer for a few hours with the HD inside. It may be best to let it sit there overnight, but that is your choice. Connect the device to the computer and immediately start saving the files to your computer ONE AT A TIME (if the HD does not connect try to let it sit longer in the freezer, if it still fails then stop as this method will not work for you).  This works only about half of the time, BUT if it works for you there is only about three to ten minutes of file backup ability before you must re-freeze the drive and repeat the process.  I do not know why it works, but I have used the method myself. Again, this is NOT RECOMMENDED, and is to be tried only when all other methods fail.  Before you freeze the drive you absolutely MUST be convinced that it is not recoverable, and plan on throwing it away when you are done. It will NEVER work the same after this.

-- Windows 7 Ultimate on custom built system, Windows 10 on under powered laptop. Sophos UTM 9, Ubuntu Server and Windows Server 2008 R2. HyperV Virtualization --

"The hottest places in hell are reserved for those who in a period of moral crisis maintain their neutrality," John F. Kennedy

#7 md92h

md92h

• Members
  • 30 posts
  •  
  • Local time:11:45 PM

Posted 01 June 2014 - 05:55 AM

have you tested it on another computer?

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users