Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Conflicts?

• Please log in to reply
8 replies to this topic

#1 killmypc

killmypc

• Members
  • 221 posts
  •  
  • Local time:01:47 AM

Posted 25 May 2006 - 09:37 AM

First...THANKS FOR THE HELP on my last issue...

I discovered I had a worm (sdbot.59904.15) I believe that is right... It kept telling me I had requested info from j.m.3gak..... anytime logged on, and ie would freeze, move very slow, and was difficult to shut down.

I have downloaded some of the software I have seen recommended on this site..

Spybot S&D (free version)
Adaware SE Personal w/tweak plug in (free version)
Rootkit Revealer
Regcleaner
ERUNT
and Windows kb890830.vi.16 (Malware removal tool)

Will any of these conflict with each other, causing false results, or worse?

I purchased PC-cillin 2006, but am unable to run without SP1, which I can't download, says my version may not be valid... Any ideas?

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 killmypc

killmypc
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 221 posts
  •  

Posted 25 May 2006 - 09:45 AM

One more...

Should these be in c: or program files?....or located where?

Thanks

#3 Albert Frankenstein

Albert Frankenstein

• Members
  • 2,707 posts
  •  
  • Local time:02:47 AM

Posted 25 May 2006 - 09:58 AM

Let's talk about this:

but am unable to run without SP1, which I can't download, says my version may not be valid... Any ideas?

Is your Windows valid? Did you purchase it?
ALBERT FRANKENSTEIN
I'M SO SMART IT'S SCARY!

Currently home chillin' with the fam and my two dogs!

#4 killmypc

killmypc
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 221 posts
  •  

Posted 25 May 2006 - 10:02 AM

no...it is a corporate version given to me by a friend....

#5 Albert Frankenstein

Albert Frankenstein

• Members
  • 2,707 posts
  •  
  • Local time:02:47 AM

Posted 25 May 2006 - 10:12 AM

If Microsoft doesn't validate your version, then I would say you probably have a hacked version. There is at least one early coporate hacked version that is being passed around out there, but it is not valid and is not legal to use. If you have that one, then it would explain why Microsoft won't validate it. If it can't be validated then it can't be updated. Without it being updated you are a sitting duck to be infected with malware. Not a good situation to be in.
ALBERT FRANKENSTEIN
I'M SO SMART IT'S SCARY!

Currently home chillin' with the fam and my two dogs!

#6 HitSquad

HitSquad

You're Bleepin' or you're Weepin'

• Members
  • 1,573 posts
  •  

Posted 25 May 2006 - 10:12 AM

I purchased PC-cillin 2006, but am unable to run without SP1, which I can't download, says my version may not be valid... Any ideas?

You can legitametly download SP2 directly from here without the need to use Windows Update.

Will any of these conflict with each other, causing false results, or worse?

Should be alright provided they're not all running at the same time.
I prefer to not let any of them run in the background and only use them "on-demand".
Just my personal preference. :thumbsup:

Edited by HitSquad, 25 May 2006 - 10:12 AM.

#7 killmypc

killmypc
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 221 posts
  •  

Posted 25 May 2006 - 10:23 AM

:thumbsup:

Thanks ya'll

Hate to be a sitting duck...

I will try that site site, and let know...

I always run the programs at different times, just wondering...Thanks again!!

#8 Enthusiast

Enthusiast

• Members
  • 5,898 posts
  •  

Posted 25 May 2006 - 02:24 PM

You should enable "Teatimer" in Spybot which gives you realtime protection.

Erunt is a utility to backup your registry and you need to set it so it does so automatically at appropriate times.

The MS malware removal tool also needs to be set to update and run automatically.

You need to have an antivirus program running at all times and automatically updating.

By running without even SP1 installed, much less not having SP2, you are a hazard to all other users on the web and probably have been complicit in the spread of malware.

It sounds like you have a pirated copy of Windows and need to address that issue. Accepting and using stolen software is a violation of law and we will not assist you in continuing that practice.

#9 killmypc

killmypc
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 221 posts
  •  

Posted 27 May 2006 - 12:02 AM

:thumbsup:

Well, it seems as though I have rubbed someone the wrong way.....which was not what I intended, I appreciate the help and advice that I received, and if you choose not to help me in the future, that is fine, just please advise.....I was under the impression that the version I had was valid, and had no intention of giving anyone else the @#%$ I was going thru with the malware I believe I had....

I talked to my friend, and since then have installed a valid version of XP Pro w/SP2.....and don't know if I should continue to run the other programs...and if so...does it matter if they are located in C:\ or C:\ProgramFiles? confused on what is best...if either?

I installed PC-Cillin 2006, (should I use the firewall with it or the XP Firewall?

ERUNT has a registry optimizer with it, should I run that?....afraid of what it might change...

Will "Teatimer" slow my system down?

I apologize for the ignorance, I am a rookie, and would like to get the best performance I can with what I have..

Again, thanks

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users