Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Corrupted Everything, Need Help

• Please log in to reply
6 replies to this topic

#1 Sara307

Sara307

• Members
  • 3 posts
  •  
  • Local time:01:57 AM

Posted 29 May 2014 - 05:35 PM

I am not great with computers but can find my way around them and am good at following directions, with that being said here is my problem..

I have a 2009 Toshiba Satellite Laptop with Windows 7 that ran absolutely great until a couple of months ago when my daughter used it for a few weeks when her cord broke. I first noticed something wrong when I couldn't open my network sharing center to change wireless networks. A few weeks later I wasn't able to change my background and then unable to access things in my control panel. I rarely use my laptop because I am on a computer at work all day but wanted to make a couple of Cd's and picture disks for my daughters middle school graduation and tried to use it a few days ago and now my start process is broken. When I turn my computer on it will go from the starting windows screen to either a black screen that does nothing or to an error message that says start up has failed and needs to go to a recovery point, I click continue but it will never complete, making normal log in impossible. I found last night I can get in through safe mode with networking and ran a scan with Microsoft essentials and Microsoft Malware scan and neither found any problem. I am at a loss on what to do and would like to try anything possible to fix the problem rather than wiping the computer and re-installing Windows. A friend thinks it is a problem with explorer.exe, Need all the help I can get PLEASE 

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 isabel5

isabel5

• Members
  • 8 posts
  •  
  • Local time:12:57 AM

Posted 29 May 2014 - 07:00 PM

Sara307, I can relate to what you say about not being able to access control panel. I also tried to get somewhere, ut my PC won't even go to startup or any screens other than "boot" screen and "command prompt". I have my moms husband coming this weekend, and thats what he does-computer work. He built this one for me 6 years ago. If you gave him permission, he would probably help you out. Just a thought because I can't even help myself. Let me know via email if you are interested:) Thanks, isabel5

#3 JohnnyJammer

JohnnyJammer

• Members
  • 1,117 posts
  •  
  • Local time:05:57 PM

Posted 29 May 2014 - 07:59 PM

I am not great with computers but can find my way around them and am good at following directions, with that being said here is my problem..

I have a 2009 Toshiba Satellite Laptop with Windows 7 that ran absolutely great until a couple of months ago when my daughter used it for a few weeks when her cord broke. I first noticed something wrong when I couldn't open my network sharing center to change wireless networks. A few weeks later I wasn't able to change my background and then unable to access things in my control panel. I rarely use my laptop because I am on a computer at work all day but wanted to make a couple of Cd's and picture disks for my daughters middle school graduation and tried to use it a few days ago and now my start process is broken. When I turn my computer on it will go from the starting windows screen to either a black screen that does nothing or to an error message that says start up has failed and needs to go to a recovery point, I click continue but it will never complete, making normal log in impossible. I found last night I can get in through safe mode with networking and ran a scan with Microsoft essentials and Microsoft Malware scan and neither found any problem. I am at a loss on what to do and would like to try anything possible to fix the problem rather than wiping the computer and re-installing Windows. A friend thinks it is a problem with explorer.exe, Need all the help I can get PLEASE 

Can you login to the machien through safemode?

If you can atleast login through safemode then goto Run and type msconfig, navigate to the startup tab. Untick everything there and press apply and opk. if it asks to reboot click yes.

See ifit starts properly this time and if not go back in to safemode and back to run and type "chkdsk /f /r C:" with out quotaion marks :P

Restart the computer. Let me know what happens after that

Edited by JohnnyJammer, 29 May 2014 - 08:01 PM.

#4 Sara307

Sara307
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 3 posts
  •  

Posted 29 May 2014 - 08:25 PM

I am logged on through safe mode. msconfig didn't work, chkdsk /f /r C: says c

the type of file system is NTFS

Cannot lock current drive

Chkdsk cannot run because volume is in use by another process

would you like to schedule this volume to be checked the next time the next time the system restarts?

Does this mean anything to you?

Service Pack 1 5 28 2014 18:09:20.375

Loaded driver \SystemRoot\system32\ntoskrnl.exe
Loaded driver \SystemRoot\system32\hal.dll
Loaded driver \SystemRoot\system32\kdcom.dll
Loaded driver \SystemRoot\system32\mcupdate_GenuineIntel.dll
Loaded driver \SystemRoot\system32\PSHED.dll
Loaded driver \SystemRoot\system32\CLFS.SYS
Loaded driver \SystemRoot\system32\CI.dll
Loaded driver \SystemRoot\system32\drivers\Wdf01000.sys
Loaded driver \SystemRoot\system32\drivers\WDFLDR.SYS
Loaded driver \SystemRoot\system32\drivers\ACPI.sys
Loaded driver \SystemRoot\system32\drivers\WMILIB.SYS
Loaded driver \SystemRoot\system32\drivers\msisadrv.sys
Loaded driver \SystemRoot\system32\drivers\pci.sys
Loaded driver \SystemRoot\system32\drivers\vdrvroot.sys
Loaded driver \SystemRoot\System32\drivers\partmgr.sys
Loaded driver \SystemRoot\system32\DRIVERS\compbatt.sys
Loaded driver \SystemRoot\system32\DRIVERS\BATTC.SYS
Loaded driver \SystemRoot\system32\drivers\volmgr.sys
Loaded driver \SystemRoot\System32\drivers\volmgrx.sys
Loaded driver \SystemRoot\System32\drivers\mountmgr.sys
Loaded driver \SystemRoot\system32\drivers\pciide.sys
Loaded driver \SystemRoot\system32\drivers\PCIIDEX.SYS
Loaded driver \SystemRoot\system32\DRIVERS\iaStor.sys
Loaded driver \SystemRoot\system32\drivers\atapi.sys
Loaded driver \SystemRoot\system32\drivers\ataport.SYS
Loaded driver \SystemRoot\system32\drivers\msahci.sys
Loaded driver \SystemRoot\system32\drivers\amdxata.sys
Loaded driver \SystemRoot\system32\drivers\fltmgr.sys
Loaded driver \SystemRoot\system32\drivers\fileinfo.sys
Loaded driver \SystemRoot\System32\Drivers\Ntfs.sys
Loaded driver \SystemRoot\System32\Drivers\msrpc.sys
Loaded driver \SystemRoot\System32\Drivers\ksecdd.sys
Loaded driver \SystemRoot\System32\Drivers\cng.sys
Loaded driver \SystemRoot\System32\drivers\pcw.sys
Loaded driver \SystemRoot\System32\Drivers\Fs_Rec.sys
Loaded driver \SystemRoot\system32\drivers\ndis.sys
Loaded driver \SystemRoot\system32\drivers\NETIO.SYS
Loaded driver \SystemRoot\System32\Drivers\ksecpkg.sys
Loaded driver \SystemRoot\System32\drivers\tcpip.sys
Loaded driver \SystemRoot\System32\drivers\fwpkclnt.sys
Loaded driver \SystemRoot\system32\DRIVERS\wd.sys
Loaded driver \SystemRoot\system32\drivers\volsnap.sys
Loaded driver \SystemRoot\system32\DRIVERS\TVALZ_O.SYS
Loaded driver \SystemRoot\System32\Drivers\spldr.sys
Loaded driver \SystemRoot\System32\drivers\rdyboost.sys
Loaded driver \SystemRoot\System32\Drivers\mup.sys
Loaded driver \SystemRoot\System32\drivers\hwpolicy.sys
Loaded driver \SystemRoot\System32\DRIVERS\fvevol.sys
Loaded driver \SystemRoot\system32\DRIVERS\disk.sys
Loaded driver \SystemRoot\system32\DRIVERS\CLASSPNP.SYS
Did not load driver @hal.inf,%acpi_amd64.devicedesc%;ACPI x64-based PC
Did not load driver @battery.inf,%*compbatt.devicedesc%;Microsoft Composite Battery
Did not load driver @battery.inf,%*compbatt.devicedesc%;Microsoft Composite Battery
Did not load driver @cpu.inf,%intelppm.devicedesc%;Intel Processor
Did not load driver @battery.inf,%acpi\acpi0003.devicedesc%;Microsoft AC Adapter
Did not load driver @battery.inf,%acpi\pnp0c0a.devicedesc%;Microsoft ACPI-Compliant Control Method Battery
Did not load driver @battery.inf,%acpi\acpi0003.devicedesc%;Microsoft AC Adapter
Did not load driver @battery.inf,%acpi\pnp0c0a.devicedesc%;Microsoft ACPI

Edited by hamluis, 30 May 2014 - 05:48 PM.
Removed unnecessary quotebox - Hamluis.

#5 JohnnyJammer

JohnnyJammer

• Members
  • 1,117 posts
  •  

Posted 29 May 2014 - 08:29 PM

yeh it does, maybe try this comman in run "sfc /scannow"

You would need to restart for the chkdsk command to work ebcause you are still using the C: drive, the /f fixes and /r repairs but it wants to dismount the volume but as you are in safe mode you have to restart.

If this doesnt work we will then try a system restore.

Edited by JohnnyJammer, 29 May 2014 - 08:29 PM.

#6 Sara307

Sara307
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 3 posts
  •  

Posted 29 May 2014 - 11:42 PM

Took 3 hours but I was able to run the chkdsk and it booted normally. Trouble shoot is not working but not sure what to do now

#7 JohnnyJammer

JohnnyJammer

• Members
  • 1,117 posts
  •  

Posted 30 May 2014 - 01:14 AM

Ok so now you can use the computer normally again?

The next thing is check the integrity of the system files by running this command in a dos prompt window (Im assuming the chkdsk took 3 hours)

sfc /scannow

Im about to know off work mate and drink some nice cold beers, so wont be back on untill tomorrow. Hopefully someone else might kick in and give you a hand.

Edited by JohnnyJammer, 30 May 2014 - 01:14 AM.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users