Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Want to replace win 8 explorer.exe, should I?

• Please log in to reply
9 replies to this topic

#1 jhona56

jhona56

• Members
  • 8 posts
  •  
  • Local time:08:54 AM

Posted 29 May 2014 - 03:09 PM

Whomever designed windows 8, 8.1 win explorer must have been high on some really weird drug. What is with all the user accts? Try finding a file you were  working on under the file with your name on it. Gone! It took me 20 minutes to find it had put what I was working on under User folder, documents, not pictures, within another folder, drove me insane. I have found sites that offer alternatives to win 8 explorer, like Free Commander, etc. Are these safe to use. Can one delete some of these redundant folders on win 8? I have posted images so you will understand better.  I don't to "share everything" with all photos, trying to find where it finally put the darn folder is impossible. Can I install Free Commander or similar programs and have a closer to win xp or win 7 experience? 

sorry for the rant but it took me over 20 min to find a folder I had worked on, saved, then tried to get back to

jhona

Attached Files

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

m

#2 kunalthechamp

kunalthechamp

• Members
  • 177 posts
  •  
  • Local time:09:24 PM

Posted 30 May 2014 - 12:29 AM

http://www.bleepingcomputer.com/tutorials/start-menu-in-windows-8-with-classic-shell/

If I am helping you with a problem and I have not responded within 48 hours please send me a PM.

Follow BleepingComputer on: Facebook | Twitter | Google+

#3 wpgwpg

wpgwpg

• Members
  • 1,149 posts
  •  
  • Local time:11:54 AM

Posted 30 May 2014 - 10:12 AM

I wholeheartedly agree with Kunalthechamp.  Download & install Classic Shell from classicshell.net, and you have the best of both Windows 7 and 8.  I like Windows 8 this way because I have the look and feel of Windows 7 with the Start menu, file manager, etc., and everything is where I've spent the last 18 years getting used to.  I do everything in desktop mode and totally avoid that Metro (Modern) sillyness.  Why MS is dragging its feet bringing back the Start menu when they know that's what everyone wants defies all logic.

Good luck.

Everyone with a computer should back his system up to an external hard drive regularly.  :thumbsup:

#4 scotty_ncc1701

scotty_ncc1701

• Members
  • 520 posts
  •  

Posted 30 May 2014 - 10:26 AM

Whomever designed windows 8, 8.1 win explorer must have been high on some really weird drug. What is with all the user accts? Try finding a file you were  working on under the file with your name on it. Gone! It took me 20 minutes to find it had put what I was working on under User folder, documents, not pictures, within another folder, drove me insane. I have found sites that offer alternatives to win 8 explorer, like Free Commander, etc. Are these safe to use. Can one delete some of these redundant folders on win 8? I have posted images so you will understand better.  I don't to "share everything" with all photos, trying to find where it finally put the darn folder is impossible. Can I install Free Commander or similar programs and have a closer to win xp or win 7 experience? 

sorry for the rant but it took me over 20 min to find a folder I had worked on, saved, then tried to get back to

jhona

Take a look at:

http://xyplorer.com/shots.htm

It took me about 30 minutes configuring it the way I want, and then I backed up the ini file to keep the setting when my system is restored.

Best of luck.

#5 scotty_ncc1701

scotty_ncc1701

• Members
  • 520 posts
  •  

Posted 30 May 2014 - 10:41 AM

The OP was asking about File Manager, not Windows Start menu.  But since that was brought up, I'll put in my two cents.  I won't use certain "start menu" programs, because of the author, or more specifically, where the program originated (this actually applies to all programs).  I have a list of countries that I won't use programs from (I'm working on updating them), because they are known to be the top malware distributing countries, if you dig deep enough.

For example the domain "fake.123" shows being hosted in the USA, and most people won't go past that.  But if you dig enough, you will see that "fake.123" is actually owned by "abc" from country "xyz", and "xyz" is known for being high on distributing malware.  Thus, the USA, not "xyz", which is the true country, gets the bad rap!

If I can't determine the country of origin, from sources like domaintools.com, etc, I presume that they are from are on the country list I have.  I never believe the location on the website, unless I can independantly verify the author's country of origin.

This is just one of the many ways that I've keep my computer virus, malware, etc free, since the fall of 1995.

Have a good day!

#6 Jo*

Jo*

• Malware Response Team
  • 3,269 posts
  •  
  • Local time:04:54 PM

Posted 30 May 2014 - 11:00 AM

I'm using the new FreeCommander XE version now.

http://www.freecommander.com/fc_shots_en.htm

There is a portable version available as well.

Graduate of the WTT Classroom
Cheers,
Jo
If I have been helping you, and I have not replied to your latest post in 36 hours please send me a PM.

#7 jhona56

jhona56
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 8 posts
  •  
  • Local time:08:54 AM

Posted 30 May 2014 - 11:16 AM

for me it seems all these problems began when I used my windows 8.1 disk to install win 8.1. I'm thinking of setting this computer back to factory defaults and leave win 8.1 alone. hell the sound coming out of my computer sounds like people are singing under water, win 8 came with realtek drivers and sounded great, I installed the realtek drivers to try and get my sound back but it doesn't like win 8.1. 2 questions, can I just download win 7 and install it once I reset this thing back to factory defaut? and if I install freecommander, that has to be run from a usb port, it is portable? I think my best bet is to try to install win 7 and see if i can have more control over this thing. I personally hate the apps and never use them, so many are not free.

if I install freecommander, not portable, I should do so from the computer's default win 8 settings?

thanks for the pointers

jhona

#8 Jo*

Jo*

• Malware Response Team
  • 3,269 posts
  •  
  • Local time:04:54 PM

Posted 30 May 2014 - 02:47 PM

Try it without any changes to your windows system:

You can run FreeCommander portable without installation from your hard disk!

Download FreeCommanderXE_portable.zip from
http://www.freecommander.com/fc_downl2_en.htm (scroll down on that page!)

FreeCommander XE 2014 ZIP does not include an installation-procedure but consists only of a ZIP-archive which contains all required FreeCommander files. The ZIP-archive can be extracted into a directory of your choice and FreeCommander can be started from this directory. However there will be no FreeCommander symbols created in the start menu and on the desktop.

Save / copy FreeCommanderXE_portable.zip on your hard disk in a folder where you want to extract the zip file!

Extract the zip file ...
Create a short link to FreeCommander.exe on your desktop ...
That's all...

Graduate of the WTT Classroom
Cheers,
Jo
If I have been helping you, and I have not replied to your latest post in 36 hours please send me a PM.

#9 wpgwpg

wpgwpg

• Members
  • 1,149 posts
  •  

Posted 30 May 2014 - 03:13 PM

The OP was asking about File Manager, not Windows Start menu.  But since that was brought up, I'll put in my two cents.  I won't use certain "start menu" programs, because of the author, or more specifically, where the program originated (this actually applies to all programs).  I have a list of countries that I won't use programs from (I'm working on updating them), because they are known to be the top malware distributing countries, if you dig deep enough.

For example the domain "fake.123" shows being hosted in the USA, and most people won't go past that.  But if you dig enough, you will see that "fake.123" is actually owned by "abc" from country "xyz", and "xyz" is known for being high on distributing malware.  Thus, the USA, not "xyz", which is the true country, gets the bad rap!

If I can't determine the country of origin, from sources like domaintools.com, etc, I presume that they are from are on the country list I have.  I never believe the location on the website, unless I can independantly verify the author's country of origin.

This is just one of the many ways that I've keep my computer virus, malware, etc free, since the fall of 1995.

Have a good day!

The programs you get in desktop mode are different from the ones you get in Metro (Modern) mode.  That's what led to the discussion about Classic Shell.  It was developed by Ivo Beltchev who is employed by a software company in CA.  I've been using it for 2 years on 6 Windows 8.1 computers (2 at home and 4 I support) and I have to say neither I nor anyone I know have had any problems with it.  It makes the difference with Windows 8 between a clumsy unlikable user interface and the one that has been honed and tweaked since Windows 95 first came out.  If you're using Windows 8 and haven't tried it, you don't know what you're missing.

Everyone with a computer should back his system up to an external hard drive regularly.  :thumbsup:

#10 scotty_ncc1701

scotty_ncc1701

• Members
  • 520 posts
  •  

Posted 30 May 2014 - 04:22 PM

Have a good day!

The programs you get in desktop mode are different from the ones you get in Metro (Modern) mode.  That's what led to the discussion about Classic Shell.  It was developed by Ivo Beltchev who is employed by a software company in CA.  I've been using it for 2 years on 6 Windows 8.1 computers (2 at home and 4 I support) and I have to say neither I nor anyone I know have had any problems with it.  It makes the difference with Windows 8 between a clumsy unlikable user interface and the one that has been honed and tweaked since Windows 95 first came out.  If you're using Windows 8 and haven't tried it, you don't know what you're missing.

The fact is, I first looked at Classic Shell, because it was free, but I couldn't find any reliable information as to where Mr. Beltchev was from, or lives (country).  So that immediately caused me to presume he lives in one of the countries on my list.  My belief is to be safe than sorry, this is why I haven't been infected with viruses, malware, etc since the fall of 1995; because I take an agressive approach to selecting software, and protecting our computers.

All the whois sites I used listed the site information similiar to this:

Domain Name: CLASSICSHELL.NET
Registrar URL: http://www.godaddy.com
Registrant Name: Ivaylo Beltchev
Registrant Organization:
Name Server: NS39.DOMAINCONTROL.COM
Name Server: NS40.DOMAINCONTROL.COM
DNSSEC: unsigned

This is the type of entry, that causes me to presume that the site is on the list of countries I have.  I work under the presumption, that to get a site, the contact information (name, address, etc) must be correct.

Although I use Stardock's Start8, if I was able to confirm, from independent sources, where Mr. Beltchev lives, I'd seriously consider using ClassicShell, because from what I've seen on the Internet, I like the idea of using the classic menu, that looks like Windows 2000, which is the one I prefer.

If you could provide some references that discuss Mr. Beltchev background, etc, it would be appreciated.  If I can confirm his location, that would go a long way to me changing to classic shell, possibly.

Please note.  I know Mr. Beltchev is on LinkedIn, but I don't use that site, nor do I consider it a reliable source for objective information; just like I don't trust Wikipedia.  LinkedIn is created by the individual, and Wikipedia can be changed by anyone with an account (mostly).  I know that some entries are locked down on Wikipedia, but I proved to others, creating a video to prove it, that you can create an account, and then immediately change an entry, like for AARP.

Thanks loads!

Edited by scotty_ncc1701, 30 May 2014 - 04:23 PM.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users