Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

8GB ram or 16GB? 1333Mhz or 1600MHz

• Please log in to reply
8 replies to this topic

#1 angelosg87

angelosg87

• Members
  • 23 posts
  •  
  • Local time:02:31 AM

Posted 29 May 2014 - 03:07 PM

I have installed on my new PC these RAM:

Corsair XMS3 - Memory - 8 GB : 2 x 4 GB - DIMM 240-pin - DDR3 - 1333 MHz / PC3-10600 - CL9 - 1.5 V - non-ECC

But I have some concers if i should install 16GB or if the speed should be 1600MHz......

Can I have your opinion please?

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 wpgwpg

wpgwpg

• Members
  • 1,149 posts
  •  
  • Local time:07:31 PM

Posted 29 May 2014 - 03:10 PM

Sure.  It depends on how many tasks you plan to start and what these tasks are.  As a rule though 8 GB is more than enough for all but serious gamers.

Everyone with a computer should back his system up to an external hard drive regularly.  :thumbsup:

#3 angelosg87

angelosg87
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 23 posts
  •  

Posted 29 May 2014 - 03:18 PM

Sure.  It depends on how many tasks you plan to start and what these tasks are.  As a rule though 8 GB is more than enough for all but serious gamers.

So I will see big difference? As for the speed what do you think?

#4 hamluis

hamluis

• 55,403 posts
  •  
  • Local time:06:31 PM

Posted 29 May 2014 - 03:20 PM

Benefits Of 16GB RAM vs 8GB

I don't game and I find that 4GB is sufficient for all that I do, although I have 8GB installed (because it was inexpensive) on this system.

Louis

#5 angelosg87

angelosg87
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 23 posts
  •  

Posted 29 May 2014 - 03:23 PM

1333 or 1600 though?

#6 wpgwpg

wpgwpg

• Members
  • 1,149 posts
  •  
  • Local time:07:31 PM

Posted 29 May 2014 - 03:24 PM

I agree with Louis.  When I upgraded from 4 GB to 8, I saw very little change in performance.  However I don't play any games other Spider Solitaire.  YMMV depending on what you do with your computer, and you've yet to identify that.  So I have to tell you that my dog broke my crystal ball.  :-(

Everyone with a computer should back his system up to an external hard drive regularly.  :thumbsup:

#7 hamluis

hamluis

• 55,403 posts
  •  
  • Local time:06:31 PM

Posted 29 May 2014 - 03:54 PM

As for RAM stated speed...look at the motherboard documentation.  If the motherboard supports 1600 as an overclocked speed...and you want to overclock...then it's a consideration.  If you have no intent of overclocking, there's no point in purchasing RAM designed to run at overclocked speeds...and the motherboard may possibly balk at running the unspecified RAM if the board doesn't support the higher spec.

Quite honestly...overclocking systems was a typical way of getting more out of a system...when I bought my first computer in 1996.  With today's technology, the value of overclocking a given system...is probably not going to produce the results it may have 15 or more years ago and overclocking brings risks that I consider to be totally unnecessary for today's processors and systems.

My impression (nothing more than that) is that the same persons who overclock...do so because they are in the same mindframe as those persons who customize their autos for questionable speed stats.  It's just an individual fooling with his/her system...because he/she can and wants to.  Nothing magical about or necessarily mandating it.

Worth A Read, IMO

Louis

#8 angelosg87

angelosg87
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 23 posts
  •  

Posted 01 June 2014 - 02:59 AM

Thank you for your replays. So my main concern is the following. I have 8gb ddr3 1333MHz. I am thing of upgrading to 1600MHz. And maybe to 16Gb... Is it worth it?

#9 jonuk76

jonuk76

• Members
  • 2,157 posts
  •  
  • Local time:12:31 AM

Posted 01 June 2014 - 05:39 AM

In itself, no it probably isn't worth it.  Most people don't need 16gb yet.  You might benefit if using very memory intensive applications.  The difference between 1333mhz and 1600mhz RAM is hardly detectable in real world use.  You might get a slight increase in memory bandwidth score on the Windows benchmark test, and a little improvement in other benchmarks but I doubt you'd notice it in real use.

7sbvuf-6.png

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users