Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Opens New Windows On It's Own

• Please log in to reply
13 replies to this topic

#1 b-dur

b-dur

• Members
  • 3 posts
  •  
  • Local time:05:41 PM

Posted 25 May 2006 - 09:27 AM

My computer opens new windows on it's own all the time. If I am on the internet, it opens new browser-windows and if I use Microsoft Word, it opens new documents all the time. Almost no matter what I do, it opens new windows in the program I'm using...

Do I have a virus or anything? Norton Internet Security and Ad-Aware SE Personal don't find anything...

Someone please help!

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 quietman7

quietman7

Bleepin' Janitor

• Global Moderator
  • 51,593 posts
  •  
  • Local time:11:41 AM

Posted 25 May 2006 - 10:45 AM

Hello b-dur

What OS (XP, 2000. etc) are you using? No single anti-virus or anti-spyware program will catch every piece of malware so its best to use a combination of several tools.

Download and scan with Spybot S&D 1.4. Setup & Configure as shown here.
[DO NOT choose the option to install TeaTimer]
Note: If you encounter any error messages while downloading the updates, manually download them from here

If your running Win XP/2000, download and scan with Ewido Anti-Malware v3.5
Ewido Install and Scan Instructions

When done perform these online Virus scans:
[Watch the Address bar in IE. You may receive alerts that "This site might require the following ActiveX control...Click here to install...". Click on that alert and then Click Install ActiveX component.]

Trend Micro Housecall Scan
Panda ActiveScan [ActiveScan Panda does not remove adware/spyware but will autoclean for viruses & worms.]

Let us know if your still having problems after doing the above.
Windows Insider MVP 2017-2018
Microsoft MVP Reconnect 2016
Microsoft MVP Consumer Security 2007-2015 kO7xOZh.gif
Member of UNITE, Unified Network of Instructors and Trusted Eliminators

If I have been helpful & you'd like to consider a donation, click 38WxTfO.gif

#3 b-dur

b-dur
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 3 posts
  •  

Posted 28 May 2006 - 09:58 AM

Thanks for reply!

I have just scanned with Norton Internet Security, Ad-Aware SE Personal, AVG Free edition, Spybot S&D, Ewido anti-malware, Panda antivirus and Trend Micro Housecall scan...

And NOTHING IS FOUND!!!

But this is a brand new laptop, with a very fancy remote... and I think I found the problem. The laptop is placed just beside the TV, and everytime my girlfriend changes channel, the laptop reacts strange.

So I have a new question... how can I turn off the infrared-receiver ?

:thumbsup:

Edited by b-dur, 28 May 2006 - 10:05 AM.

#4 tg1911

tg1911

Lord Spam Magnet

• Members
  • 19,274 posts
  •  
  • Local time:09:41 AM

Posted 28 May 2006 - 12:13 PM

I have just scanned with Norton Internet Security, Ad-Aware SE Personal, AVG Free edition, Spybot S&D, Ewido anti-malware, Panda antivirus and Trend Micro Housecall scan...

If you have 2 AV's running at the same time, you should disable one.
Running 2 AV's will cause conflicts, possibly rendering both AV's inoperable.

So, it is best to have one antivirus program, and keep it up to date and use it
properly.
Then, if you experience a problem, or question its efficiency, you run an online scan.
http://www.pandasoftware.com/activescan/
http://housecall.trendmicro.com/
MOBO: GIGABYTE GA-MA790X-UD4P, CPU: Phenom II X4 955 Deneb BE, HS/F: CoolerMaster V8, RAM: 2 x 1G Kingston HyperX DDR2 800, VGA: ECS GeForce Black GTX 560, PSU: Antec TruePower Modular 750W, Soundcard: Asus Xonar D1, Case: CoolerMaster COSMOS 1000, Storage: Internal - 2 x Seagate 250GB SATA, 2 x WD 1TB SATA; External - Seagate 500GB USB, WD 640GB eSATA, 3 x WD 1TB eSATA

Become a BleepingComputer fan: Facebook

#5 buddy215

buddy215

• 13,256 posts
  •  
  • Local time:10:41 AM

Posted 28 May 2006 - 12:22 PM

Yes, laptops are quiet heavy and difficult to move. One could remove the batteries from remote or get rid of girlfriend. Sorry, just couldn't resist.
“Every atom in your body came from a star that exploded and the atoms in your left hand probably came from a different star than your right hand. It really is the most poetic thing I know about physics...you are all stardust.”Lawrence M. Krauss
A 1792 U.S. penny, designed in part by Thomas Jefferson and George Washington, reads “Liberty Parent of Science & Industry.”

#6 tos226

tos226

BleepIN--BleepOUT

• Members
  • 1,574 posts
  •  

Posted 28 May 2006 - 02:12 PM

So I have a new question... how can I turn off the infrared-receiver ?

My Computer > System properties > hardware > device manager
Navigate to Infrared devices, click on +, DISABLE.
One other thing, instead of disabling it, you can put a bit of masking tape on the IR receiver (or the girlfriend's remote :thumbsup: )

All this assumes WindowsXP.
I'm curious - what laptop do you have? manufacturer and model, and what brand TV and the model?

#7 tos226

tos226

BleepIN--BleepOUT

• Members
  • 1,574 posts
  •  

Posted 28 May 2006 - 02:16 PM

Yes, laptops are quiet heavy and difficult to move. One could remove the batteries from remote or get rid of girlfriend. Sorry, just couldn't resist.

Neither can I :thumbsup:
when you think about it, removing the laptop battery makes it lighter. Much better effect than from removing the betteries in a typical remote.

Edited by tos226, 28 May 2006 - 02:16 PM.

#8 buddy215

buddy215

• 13,256 posts
  •  

Posted 28 May 2006 - 02:27 PM

One last Jab---You know she could be seeking attention. Perhaps get a CD you can watch together on your comp.
“Every atom in your body came from a star that exploded and the atoms in your left hand probably came from a different star than your right hand. It really is the most poetic thing I know about physics...you are all stardust.”Lawrence M. Krauss
A 1792 U.S. penny, designed in part by Thomas Jefferson and George Washington, reads “Liberty Parent of Science & Industry.”

#9 b-dur

b-dur
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 3 posts
  •  

Posted 28 May 2006 - 02:57 PM

Thank you all for responding

The laptop is a Packard Bell, 2,0 Ghz, 100 GB HDD, 2048 MB RAM

The TV is an 28" Akai Widescreen...

The girlfriend... brunette :thumbsup:

#10 buddy215

buddy215

• 13,256 posts
  •  

Posted 28 May 2006 - 03:32 PM

Too bad. If she were a blonde you could have just hung a mirror in front of the TV!

#11 tos226

tos226

BleepIN--BleepOUT

• Members
  • 1,574 posts
  •  

Posted 28 May 2006 - 09:41 PM

The laptop is a Packard Bell, 2,0 Ghz, 100 GB HDD, 2048 MB RAM

The TV is an 28" Akai Widescreen...

It is quite likely that the Packard Bell and your Akai TV share the same infrared transmission protocol and likely some command codes. Many Akai TVs use one of the NEC protocols, and I think the Packard Bell remote does as well. I would follow this path by attempting to control the TV from the PB remote and then the other way around. It might get interesting :thumbsup:

Edited by tos226, 28 May 2006 - 10:06 PM.

#12 rik2006

rik2006

• Members
  • 2 posts
  •  
  • Local time:04:41 PM

Posted 14 June 2006 - 04:30 PM

I have the same problem with my new PB Easynote Laptop!! My Sky+ remote constantly opens new windows etc. But there is no Infrared devices in device manager! Anyone help coz this is driving me crazy!!

#13 rik2006

rik2006

• Members
  • 2 posts
  •  
  • Local time:04:41 PM

Posted 05 July 2006 - 04:55 PM

BTTT

#14 tos226

tos226

BleepIN--BleepOUT

• Members
  • 1,574 posts
  •  

Posted 06 July 2006 - 09:08 PM

Here's another wild theory.
Does Sky+ have RF - radio frequency - in addition to infrared. Some remotes do.
Might be that if there are provisions for wireless mouse or keyboard which use RF, that's the cause?

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users