Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Windows7 load error hyf.dll

• Please log in to reply
15 replies to this topic

#1 LamarM1!

LamarM1!

• Members
  • 7 posts
  •  
  • Local time:06:33 PM

Posted 29 May 2014 - 02:29 PM

I keep getting an hyf.dll error every time windows starts up. I can't find where it's trying to load this file. the only yield using internet search referred to a virus. Has anyone heard of this DLL

thanks for your help.

LamarM1!

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

m

#2 dc3

dc3

Bleeping Treehugger

• Members
  • 30,023 posts
  •  
  • Local time:03:33 PM

Posted 29 May 2014 - 02:33 PM

What exactly does this error say?

Family and loved ones will always be a priority in my daily life.  You never know when one will leave you.

#3 wpgwpg

wpgwpg

• Members
  • 1,149 posts
  •  
  • Local time:07:33 PM

Posted 29 May 2014 - 02:39 PM

Hyf.dll isn't a Windows 7 file.  You didn't say what version of Windows you have.  :huh: My guess is that this was something you had but got rid of, and Windows is still looking for it.  This can happen in a number of ways including the deletion of software files without going through the normal uninstall process.  It's also possible this was part of some malware that has been removed.

Some folks don't like MSCONFIG, but it's part of every Windows system, and it's safe as long as long as you stick to just the STARTUP tab, and don't uncheck your antivirus.  I'd use it to see what's being started automatically when you boot.  You can uncheck anything there except for your antivirus.

Good luck.

Edited by wpgwpg, 29 May 2014 - 02:40 PM.

Everyone with a computer should back his system up to an external hard drive regularly.  :thumbsup:

#4 dc3

dc3

Bleeping Treehugger

• Members
  • 30,023 posts
  •  

Posted 29 May 2014 - 03:03 PM

Some folks don't like MSCONFIG, but it's part of every Windows system, and it's safe as long as long as you stick to just the STARTUP tab, and don't uncheck your antivirus.  I'd use it to see what's being started automatically when you boot.  You can uncheck anything there except for your antivirus.

msconfig can be used to determine if a problem is related to a Service or Startup item.  A Clean Boot is a good example.

Removing the check in a Service or Startup Item can result in having trouble boot into Windows as some of these are needed at the startup.  If you are going to disable a Service or Startup item you should use a program like Mike Lin's Startup Control Panel, this will not effect the startup process.

Family and loved ones will always be a priority in my daily life.  You never know when one will leave you.

#5 LamarM1!

LamarM1!
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 7 posts
  •  

Posted 29 May 2014 - 03:06 PM

Sorry, been a while since I posted to a forum. Windows 7 X64 SP1 all the patches in place. This is not my PC but a friends, This error was there when I booted the computer. I cleaned the system using malwarebytes and got 1047 entries that I cleaned. I've searched through all the normal startup places as well as looked at msconfig. done a search for this file on the computer as well as a search for a reference in the registry. no joy. I was hoping that someone had run across the file even though I didn't find it doing a search on this forum.

thanks for the replies.

Lamar

#6 dc3

dc3

Bleeping Treehugger

• Members
  • 30,023 posts
  •  

Posted 29 May 2014 - 03:07 PM

@LamarM1!

I have not been able to find any reference to a Hyf.dll which makes me curious if this could be a third party application which was embedded in a download you may have made recently.

Please download MiniToolBox  , save it to your desktop and run it.

Checkmark the following checkboxes:

• List last 10 Event Viewer log
• List Installed Programs
• List Users, Partitions and Memory size.
• List Minidump Files

Click on Go to start the scan.  Once it is finished highlight the text, copy it and paste it in your next post.

Please post the Malwarebytes log.  To find your Malwarebytes log,download mbam-check.exe from here and save it to your desktop.

To open the log double click on mbam-check.exe on your desktop.  When the log opens, scroll down toward the bottom of the log to Quarantined Items.  Copy and paste this in your next post.

Edited by dc3, 29 May 2014 - 03:10 PM.

#7 LamarM1!

LamarM1!
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 7 posts
  •  

Posted 29 May 2014 - 03:12 PM

I just wish that this file was the extent of my problems on this pc. It has a problem with the windows security service. I got that to start using a tool from tweaking.com but the firewall still won't start. O well I hate it when I work on someone's pc that tried to fix it before they brought it to me. That's what I get for saying yes to the request to work on it for them.

#8 wpgwpg

wpgwpg

• Members
  • 1,149 posts
  •  

Posted 29 May 2014 - 03:19 PM

DC3 I agree that disabling things in the SERVICES tab could cause problems (if you don't first click the "Hide all Microsoft services"), and I understand the risks of using the BOOT tab to enable Safe Mode.  However I've yet to see any instance of unchecking anything other than the antivirus in the STARTUP tab could cause problems since I started working with Windows in 1994.  Do you have examples of how this could happen?  You can also get into trouble downloading software too, but everybody has MSCONFIG already.

Edited by wpgwpg, 29 May 2014 - 03:26 PM.

Everyone with a computer should back his system up to an external hard drive regularly.  :thumbsup:

#9 dc3

dc3

Bleeping Treehugger

• Members
  • 30,023 posts
  •  

Posted 29 May 2014 - 03:19 PM

I've spent the last four hours cleaning up a friends computer, so I can relate.

Please post what I've requested and perhaps I will be able to shed some light of this.

It would also help you know what all you are running across and what you have tried to resolve this.

#10 dc3

dc3

Bleeping Treehugger

• Members
  • 30,023 posts
  •  

Posted 29 May 2014 - 03:21 PM

DC3 I agree that disabling things in the SERVICES tab could cause problems (if you don't first click the "Hide all Microsoft services"), and I understand the risks of using the BOOT tab to enable Safe Mode.  However I've yet to see any instance of unchecking anything other than the antivirus in the STARTUP tab could cause problems since I started working with Windows in 1989.  Do you have examples of how this could happen?  You can also get into trouble downloading software too, but everybody has MSCONFIG already.

Just google "why shouldn't I use msconfig to disable services or startup items.  There's a lot of information out there.

#11 LamarM1!

LamarM1!
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 7 posts
  •  

Posted 29 May 2014 - 03:31 PM

I'll gather the info and post it as soon as I get a couple of other things done.

#12 wpgwpg

wpgwpg

• Members
  • 1,149 posts
  •  

Posted 29 May 2014 - 03:49 PM

DC3, I just read through numerous Google search articles and haven't seen anything contrary to what I said.  As long as you combine what you say in "Services and Startup", you're right, but everything I've ever seen or read from Microsoft and CNET combined with my 20 years experience says you can uncheck EVERYTHING in the Startup tab as long as you leave your antivirus active.  

Unless you have specific examples to the contrary, I'm afraid I can't give much credibility to your claim.  I'm more than willing to look at examples if you have some.  Maybe I should point out that in addition to 19 years experience working with Windows, I've been working with search engines since 1974 FWIW.  Ever hear of something called Stairs/VS?  Tell me something convincing! :-)

#13 LamarM1!

LamarM1!
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 7 posts
  •  

Posted 29 May 2014 - 03:51 PM

the user complained that she was getting registry errors, her late husband taught her just enough to be dangerous. all I saw when I booted the computer was the hyf.dll couldn't load the module and that the firewall couldn't be started. I looked around in the event logs and saw a fair number of errors about services not being able to start for missing files. I tried to run chkdsk and to scan the disk for errors. when chkdsk tried to start during a reboot it couldn't start because of some software that had been installed (didn't give the name). I started in safe mode and reschedule the chkdsk and it started and ran. I next installed malware bytes and scanned the computer and cleaned it. she had avg and some other type of malware software installed. I removed those and installed avast AV. The WMI service was having an issue and I repaired that but the firewall still wouldn't start. I ran a tool from tweaking that's pretty good for fixing those type errors. It fixed the firewall but the dll error persisted. don't know exactly what I did but the error is now gone. I've booted twice without it popping up. Looks like avast finished it scan and got it. it was hidden in the roaming profile directory under windows startup (LNK:Reveton-f [Trj]  looks like it just the remnants of the Trojan

thanks for your help and advice.

#14 dc3

dc3

Bleeping Treehugger

• Members
  • 30,023 posts
  •  

Posted 30 May 2014 - 10:23 AM

DC3 I agree that disabling things in the SERVICES tab could cause problems (if you don't first click the "Hide all Microsoft services"), and I understand the risks of using the BOOT tab to enable Safe Mode.  However I've yet to see any instance of unchecking anything other than the antivirus in the STARTUP tab could cause problems since I started working with Windows in 1994.  Do you have examples of how this could happen?  You can also get into trouble downloading software too, but everybody has MSCONFIG already.

I stand corrected.  I must have had a senior moment to post that startup items disabled with msconfig could cause boot problems.  Using msconfig to disable startup items accessible in msconfig  will not effect the boot process.  But with Autoruns it is possible to disable or delete startup items which are not seen in msconfig and could cause boot problems.  I suspect that Microsoft actually had this in mind when they limited accessibility to some startup items not seen in msconfig.

#15 dc3

dc3

Bleeping Treehugger

• Members
  • 30,023 posts
  •  

Posted 30 May 2014 - 10:27 AM

the user complained that she was getting registry errors, her late husband taught her just enough to be dangerous. all I saw when I booted the computer was the hyf.dll couldn't load the module and that the firewall couldn't be started. I looked around in the event logs and saw a fair number of errors about services not being able to start for missing files. I tried to run chkdsk and to scan the disk for errors. when chkdsk tried to start during a reboot it couldn't start because of some software that had been installed (didn't give the name). I started in safe mode and reschedule the chkdsk and it started and ran. I next installed malware bytes and scanned the computer and cleaned it. she had avg and some other type of malware software installed. I removed those and installed avast AV. The WMI service was having an issue and I repaired that but the firewall still wouldn't start. I ran a tool from tweaking that's pretty good for fixing those type errors. It fixed the firewall but the dll error persisted. don't know exactly what I did but the error is now gone. I've booted twice without it popping up. Looks like avast finished it scan and got it. it was hidden in the roaming profile directory under windows startup (LNK:Reveton-f [Trj]  looks like it just the remnants of the Trojan

thanks for your help and advice.

Please post the Malwarebytes log.  To find your Malwarebytes log,download mbam-check.exe from here and save it to your desktop.

To open the log double click on mbam-check.exe on your desktop.  When the log opens, scroll down toward the bottom of the log to Quarantined Items.  Copy and paste this in your next post.

I would suggest running sfc /scannow.

The sfc /scannow command scans all protected system files and replaces corrupted and incorrect versions with correct Microsoft versions.

Click on the Sart orb and then type cmd in the Search programs and files box.

In the pane above the search box Programs will appear with cmd below it, right click on cmd and choose Run as administrator.

If you are prompted for an administrator password or for a confirmation, enter the password, or click Allow.

A page similar to the one below will open.

commandprompt_zps212bc71a.png

Type in sfc /scannow and then press Enter to start the scan.  Please notice the space between sfc and the /scannow.

If the scan finds no integrity  problems in the first portion of the scan it should stop, to be sure that the scan has stopped wait five minutes, then type in exit and press Enter to stop the scan.

When the scan is finished please post the log of this scan.

To find sfc /scannow log, type cmd in the Search programs and files box, 

cmd will appear above the search box under Apps., right click on it and choose Run as administrator, this will open the Elevated Command Prompt.  This will look simlare to the image below.

elevatedcommandpromptw7_zpseba8c499.png

copy and paste the following in the Search programs and files box, then press Enter.  

findstr /c:"[SR]" %windir%\logs\cbs\cbs.log >%userprofile%\Desktop\sfcdetails.txt

This will place a new icon on the desktop titled sfcdetails.  Click on this to open the log, copy it and paste it in your topic.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users