Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Monitor not displaying through VGA cable

• Please log in to reply
9 replies to this topic

#1 Gnarlybro95

Gnarlybro95

• Members
  • 5 posts
  •  
  • Local time:04:44 PM

Posted 29 May 2014 - 02:19 PM

I have Windows 7 x64. I have two monitors plugged into my GTX760 Ti graphics card ( one through DVI & one through VGA) the DVI monitor is displaying (which is a Samsung) but the VGA (which is a Dell) is not. I know the monitor works since It displayed when I plugged the DVI into it, but when the VGA plugs in it doesn't display even when it's the only monitor plugged in. When the Dell monitor is unplugged it say's "no signal" when I plug it in it just goes black whith the yellow light on the power switch and when I press the setting button it says " 2: Digital input, In power save mode, press any button on the keyboard or move mouse". 

This is a new VGA cable and I've tried multiple converters. Any help would be appriciated, Thanks,

Edited by hamluis, 31 May 2014 - 09:09 AM.
Moved from Win 7 to Internal Hardware - Hamluis.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 JohnC_21

JohnC_21

• Members
  • 22,945 posts
  •  
  • Local time:05:44 PM

Posted 29 May 2014 - 02:23 PM

You say you have used mulitple converters. Are you using some kind of DVI to VGA converter? Is there a VGA port on the graphics card?

#3 kunalthechamp

kunalthechamp

• Members
  • 177 posts
  •  
  • Local time:03:14 AM

Posted 29 May 2014 - 02:23 PM

Your graphics card by default routes video through the DVI port, you need to go into your BIOS (system setup) and switch video to your onboard video card which will route video through the VGA port

If I am helping you with a problem and I have not responded within 48 hours please send me a PM.

Follow BleepingComputer on: Facebook | Twitter | Google+

#4 Gnarlybro95

Gnarlybro95
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 5 posts
  •  

Posted 29 May 2014 - 11:07 PM

You say you have used mulitple converters. Are you using some kind of DVI to VGA converter? Is there a VGA port on the graphics card?

There's a HDMI, VGA and DVI port on the graphics card. Before I was trying to use a DVI to VGA converter, but now I have a VGA cable that plugs directly into the graphics card.\

Your graphics card by default routes video through the DVI port, you need to go into your BIOS (system setup) and switch video to your onboard video card which will route video through the VGA port

I have a AMD Fx-6300-Six-core processor, I looked through the BIOS and didn't see anything like that, any idea what it would be under?

#5 Gnarlybro95

Gnarlybro95
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 5 posts
  •  

Posted 29 May 2014 - 11:08 PM

Something I forgot to mention, weather it matters or not, I have my Television hooked up to my graphics card through HDMI with no problems, but it's plugged out for now till I get the Dell monitor working.

#6 kunalthechamp

kunalthechamp

• Members
  • 177 posts
  •  
  • Local time:03:14 AM

Posted 29 May 2014 - 11:47 PM

It will be called PCI graphics, PC internal, AGP or something similar.

If I am helping you with a problem and I have not responded within 48 hours please send me a PM.

Follow BleepingComputer on: Facebook | Twitter | Google+

#7 md92h

md92h

• Members
  • 30 posts
  •  
  • Local time:01:14 AM

Posted 30 May 2014 - 08:06 AM

is the VGA cable ok? did you test it on the other monitor or TV?

#8 JohnC_21

JohnC_21

• Members
  • 22,945 posts
  •  
  • Local time:05:44 PM

Posted 30 May 2014 - 08:15 AM

See if your Dell monitor's menu has a selection to change between DVI and VGA. If you do not have that, try resetting the monitor while the VGA cable is plugged in. There should be a reset selection on the monitor's menu.

#9 Gnarlybro95

Gnarlybro95
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 5 posts
  •  

Posted 30 May 2014 - 04:51 PM

I made a bit of mistake, apparentally both cables are DVI, the Samsung has a DVI-I and the Dell has a DVI-D. I looked at my graphics card, but are both a bit different.

This is the one plugged into my Samsung: DVI-I has 4 prongs

1148.jpg

This is the one plugged into my Dell: DVI-D has no prongs

ZD-1813.jpg

Edited by Gnarlybro95, 30 May 2014 - 04:59 PM.

#10 Gnarlybro95

Gnarlybro95
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 5 posts
  •  

Posted 30 May 2014 - 05:33 PM

Well it's working now and I don't even know why XD. I unplugged it to test on another computer and it worked, so I plugged it back into my computer and it worked, I don't know if it was a loose wire or the cable wasn't put in correctly, It's a bit of a tight space behind my monitor, but It's working just fine now and I'm happy. Thanks guys!  :thumbup2:

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users