Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Reoccuring problem with hacking

• Please log in to reply
7 replies to this topic

#1 briightI31

briightI31

• Members
  • 4 posts
  •  
  • Local time:09:22 PM

Posted 29 May 2014 - 01:13 PM

Hi I have on post on this issue already, but it seems that where I placed it no one is reading it. So I am asking for assistance here.

I have a reoccuring problem. Someone, or someones keeps hacking into my computer system, and network. This situation has been going on for sure the last five years. In that time I have purchased several computers, changed my ISP's, moved out of State then moved back six months later. They get in, and they make sure that I am aware of it. This person is relentless, and I have had just about enough.

I have bough security software, as well as downloaded software. Neither one of these can rid of whatever this is. I do not know how this person is doing it, but they are doing it. Focused on me, and now my family. I believe that they have been eavesdropping on me as well. I could go on and on about what they have done, and are doing, but it is too long a story to tell. And besides I do not want to burden you all with it.

What I need is to secure my network. I need to secure, and get this intruder off for good. Also I believe that our cellphones are also involved in this attack as well. This person has now taken to contacting my sister. We believe that they have sent her texts several times in the last few months. I will not have this person terrorizing my family, and loved ones. They do not get to terrorize me any longer either. So can you guys please help me with this? I would appreciate if you could.

Also I am requesting help from someone who works directly with the site. I need to be sure of whom I am speaking to. Thank you.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 kunalthechamp

kunalthechamp

• Members
  • 183 posts
  •  
  • Local time:09:52 AM

Posted 29 May 2014 - 01:59 PM

With what you are describing it doesn't sound like an issue for folks on a computer help forum. I highly suggest you contact the authorities and get some real help! There's a perfect chance the intruder has physical access to your house, cell phones, computers and internet routers. No amount of software is going to help you secure your network, computers or cell phones if the issue is as serious as what you describe above. Good Luck and take care.

If I am helping you with a problem and I have not responded within 48 hours please send me a PM.

Follow BleepingComputer on: Facebook | Twitter | Google+

#3 zingo156

zingo156

• BC Advisor
  • 3,333 posts
  •  
  • Local time:11:22 PM

Posted 29 May 2014 - 02:23 PM

As kunalthechamp mentioned, I would contact the authorities or hire a private investigator.

If I am helping you with a problem and I have not responded within 48 hours please send me a PM.

#4 wpgwpg

wpgwpg

• Members
  • 1,149 posts
  •  
  • Local time:12:22 AM

Posted 29 May 2014 - 02:30 PM

In addition to contacting the authorities, I'd just add that you should be sure you're behind both hardware and software firewalls, use WPA encryption with your WiFi, and change your network access key.  Hardware firewalls come with routers, and Windows provides free software firewalls.

Good luck.

Everyone with a computer should back his system up to an external hard drive regularly.  :thumbsup:

#5 Doomap117

Doomap117

• Members
  • 32 posts
  •  

Posted 29 May 2014 - 02:38 PM

Yeah, I think you should report it to the FBI as will as they deal with that stuff because they could be across state lines.

http://www.fbi.gov/report-threats-and-crime

#6 briightI31

briightI31
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 4 posts
  •  

Posted 29 May 2014 - 06:18 PM

Been there done that. Anyone who actually works here has a solution that I can put to use today? If no one can assist me, ok. Thank you any way.

#7 NickAu

NickAu

Bleepin' Fish Doctor

• 13,247 posts
  •  
  • Local time:02:22 PM

Posted 29 May 2014 - 06:44 PM

To me this sounds like.

1 Your pc security is no good.

2 Its an inside job. Somebody is installing or allowing acess to your pc when you are not there. One suggestion after making 1000% sure  that your pc is clean, Encrypt the hard drive, then they shouldnt be able to install stuff on the PC by sitting infront of it. Kinda hard to boot a PC without the encryption password.

If your PC's are 100% clean, your modem/router are 100% clean and secure, and you have a new IP, There is no way that they should be able to find you, Unless you use chat of some sort, visit a website ( Admins on all websites can see your ip), use P2P, or somebody is installing someting on your PC( this includes family members downloading email attachments).( You are sending emails to that person, there used to be a trick where you could get somebodys IP from an email header)

I am no security expert, And if what you say is correct( I have no reason to doubt it) The only way to be sure the PC's are clean is to nuke everything and start again. Ie. Formating and reinstalling everything from clean sources, This includes rootkit/bootkit checking. including modems/routers. And an analysys of your PC usage including everything you or anybody with access to your pc does.

You need the help of a security expert

You could try and run a  Linux distro that may slow them down for a few days.

I would do the following. (Please note its what I would do.)

Disconnect all  PC's from the net ( yes even from eachother) Maybe even turn them off for now.

Re set my modem and any routers. My prefered option would be to Reset then install the latest firmware.

Then I would get a Linux distro install it to a USB configure the firewall Lets see how good they are with configured firewall and some non default IP Tables, and reconnect just that PC to the net using any routers/modems that you use.

Then I would run

Portspoof  The Portspoof program primary goal is to enhance OS security through a set of new techniques:http://portspoof.org/

Snort (Snort is a NIDS tool. NIDS tools monitor network traffic for suspicious activity.)

And just to see whats going on.

HIDS Most Windows users are familiar with HIDS. Examples include virus and spyware scanner.

Then the fun would begin, and some tools that I dare not mention here would be employed.

Edited by NickAu1, 29 May 2014 - 07:48 PM.

Arch Linux .

Come join the fun, chat to Bleeping computer members and staff in real time on Discord.

The BleepingComputer Official Discord Chat Server!

#8 zingo156

zingo156

• BC Advisor
  • 3,333 posts
  •  
  • Local time:11:22 PM

Posted 30 May 2014 - 09:47 AM

If you have gone to the authorities and they can not do anything, I would recommend a local pc shop. Take the suspect computer(s) and the phone(s) to a shop and explain the entire situation, maybe have them do an onsite at your place of residence to check your wireless routers security etc. There are too many possibilities to go through...

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users