Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Win8 PC Desktop's HDD Squeal

• Please log in to reply
2 replies to this topic

#1 equinox80

equinox80

• Members
  • 4 posts
  •  
  • Local time:02:03 AM

Posted 29 May 2014 - 12:08 PM

Hello, up until now I have been able to live with this and just writing it off.

However that is not the case anymore because it's starting to get to a higher pitch and hurting my ears.

I have 3 Hard Drives.

1) A 120GB SSD that has my OS on, and some files such as videos, photos, documents, etc.

2) A small 200GB hard drive I randomly threw in thinking I could fraps stuff to it so the HDD lag issue fraps had would not happen as much (Severely useless now mind you as I use ShadowPlay and with my GTX770 it is designed to record full frames, lag free YAY nVIDIA!).

3) A 3TB HDD I have all of my Games, Movies, Downloads, Mini-Servers and big files on.

I recently just got DC Universe Online and usually when I play games it makes a squeal, normally covered up by vents and other noises in the surrounding area. However now I am in a quiet room and the sound just hurts and doesn't feel right either. I think it's the HDD  because it happens when I open files that actively read/write to a HDD, and seems to be my 3TB drive as that is what the games are running from. So I looked around and got a program called HDDScan to do some S.M.A.R.T scans, and even though I am a techie I do not understand the results. Sure I got some errors and caution marks but not clue how to fix them or detect their severity.

I call upon the powers of other fellow techies that know more about this category than I do!

I have no idea what is happening but I believe it is my HDD. I am a computer techie so I often understand a lot of things but not the case in this situation: I did some HDDScans and here are my results.

SSD - OS:

3TB_zpsb312bc08.png

200GB Recorder:

SSD_zps82e9d9b9.png

3TB Data/Gaming:

3TB_zpse68e2f93.png

So if anybody knows anything, please let me know. Nothing bad happens, just a bad irritating noise.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

m

#2 wpgwpg

wpgwpg

• Members
  • 1,149 posts
  •  
  • Local time:03:03 AM

Posted 29 May 2014 - 12:23 PM

Those SMART numbers are rather cryptic aren't they!  I notice two ! flags on your two hard drives, so for starters I'd run chkdsk and let it check for and attempt recovery of any bad sectors, especially on that 200 GB drive.  The fact that the relocation count is high there indicates a goodly number of bad sectors have been found and relocated to alternates.  When you have several hours for it to run, you could do the same for the 3 TB drive just to be safe.  I'll have to plead ignorance to that SATA  downshift error, but it sounds like it could just be an overrun situation.  You could Google that one. After that I'd download disk diagnostics from WD or Seagate and let them check the drives. 

Good luck.

Everyone with a computer should back his system up to an external hard drive regularly.  :thumbsup:

#3 equinox80

equinox80
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 4 posts
  •  
  • Local time:02:03 AM

Posted 29 May 2014 - 01:32 PM

Thanks. I am going to do those anyways, however I found out it is most likely the graphics card playing too high of frame rates for the game. I bought a GTX 770 4GB so I could play awesome on games, but I HATE V-Sync. Turned on V-Sync out of curiosity and hey the squealing is gone. Sigh.

Thanks a lot for your help, it still helps even though it's not related to the noise.

It's good to know I have an Uber graphics card playing too high of frame rates. Kind of defeats the purpose though, Power with Noise, or weakness.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users