Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Trying to install a HD Win 8 cannot detect

• Please log in to reply
18 replies to this topic

#1 MariGoddy

MariGoddy

• Members
  • 26 posts
  •  
  • Local time:12:21 PM

Posted 29 May 2014 - 09:35 AM

So a few months ago, I noticed my Iomega 500GB USB 2.0 external Hard Drive was beeping. It stopped being detected by Windows XP despite several attempts to reconnect so I didn't bother much with trying to fix it. Currently I am trying to see if I can get my machine  upgraded a little to handle Win 8 a bit better and I would like to use what remains of my beeping HD as an internal HD. So far, I'm having no luck...

At the time, the old hard drive was formatted to FAT32 to handle and store older files and did so beautifully. I think Windows 8 can't see FAT32 drives at all, but then again, XP couldn't see the drive either once it started to beep but had detected it fine via USB. So I am assuming something else might be wrong. There are some things I would like to keep from the hard drive as this WAS my backup before it went bust. Is this hard drive salvageable with the data intact (or at least mostly intact) or not worth the time? 

The bare hard drive itself is a 3.5" Seagate Barracuda 7200.10 (Model #ST3500630AS) with SATA 3.0Gb/s interface.

Edited by MariGoddy, 29 May 2014 - 09:36 AM.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 wpgwpg

wpgwpg

• Members
  • 1,149 posts
  •  

Posted 29 May 2014 - 09:47 AM

Windows 8 can read and write to FAT32.  Most flash drives are formatted FAT32 and mine work just fine with Windows 8.  Have you looked to see if the BIOS is detecting that drive?  If the BIOS doesn't detect it, there's no way for Windows to see it.  It's not clear how you got from an Iomega drive to a Seagate one.  I assume you have this Seagate drive installed internally?  And a 500 GB drive formatted FAT32?  Wow!  NTFS is so much better - I don't know of any kind of files that require FAT32.  The one idea you might try if your drive is installed internally would be to put it in an enclosure and see if other computers could recognize it.  However it sounds like it's bitten the dust at this point.  Did you ever check the SMART data or run disk diagnostics on it?

Everyone with a computer should back his system up to an external hard drive regularly.  :thumbsup:

#3 MariGoddy

MariGoddy
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 26 posts
  •  

Posted 31 May 2014 - 04:43 AM

Iomega was the brand name of the company but the drive inside the enclosure is a Seagate. Once I decided to make the formerly external hard drive an internal one, I removed it from its casing and am trying to get it recognized. Currently BIOS sees it then doesn't see it (I'm not sure why), and Windows 8 by extension isn't detecting it at all so I have nothing I can check or run. I realize NTFS is better but FAT32 is the format I'm dealing with at the moment...so any actual help would be greatly appreciated.

#4 Roodo

Roodo

• Members
  • 760 posts
  •  
  • Local time:10:21 AM

Posted 31 May 2014 - 10:31 AM

Probably beeping because its a shot hard drive.

#5 wpgwpg

wpgwpg

• Members
  • 1,149 posts
  •  

Posted 31 May 2014 - 11:09 AM

Currently BIOS sees it then doesn't see it

Please explain this comment.  If the BIOS sees it, you could go to Control Panel -> Administrative Tools -> Computer Management -> Disk Management and see it.  There you could try to assign a drive letter to it.

Everyone with a computer should back his system up to an external hard drive regularly.  :thumbsup:

#6 MariGoddy

MariGoddy
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 26 posts
  •  

Posted 05 June 2014 - 06:27 AM

I thought that would be the case, wpgwpg, however it doesn't show up in Disk Management at all. That's why I said Win 8 could not detect it. When I start up the machine and enter the BIOS, it shows every drive I have connected including the Seagate. Once I close BIOS and open Windows however, every drive but the Seagate is present. It is not even showing up as unallocated.

#7 Ryaninator

Ryaninator

• Members
  • 4 posts
  •  

Posted 05 June 2014 - 07:12 AM

Beeping might mean that it has stuck heads.

#8 MariGoddy

MariGoddy
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 26 posts
  •  

Posted 06 June 2014 - 11:00 AM

Beeping might mean that it has stuck heads.

How do you mean stuck heads? As in the magnetic head?

#9 wpgwpg

wpgwpg

• Members
  • 1,149 posts
  •  

Posted 06 June 2014 - 11:21 AM

Maybe that Seagate drive is kaput.  :lmao: You could take it out and put it in an external enclosure and see if it works there, but it doesn't sound good for that drive.  Sorry.

#10 Ryaninator

Ryaninator

• Members
  • 4 posts
  •  

Posted 07 June 2014 - 09:31 PM

The head that writes and reads data.

#11 MariGoddy

MariGoddy
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 26 posts
  •  

Posted 08 June 2014 - 10:36 AM

I was hopeful since BIOS can still see the drive but if it is the only thing that can see it while my OS can't, there's nothing I can do with it. At least that's what I'm getting from all the comments 

#12 wpgwpg

wpgwpg

• Members
  • 1,149 posts
  •  

Posted 08 June 2014 - 10:43 AM

It sounds like the BIOS detects the drive's controller, but when Windows attempts to access the physical drive, it can't.  You can buy 1 TB hard drives for around $60 these days, so it sounds like that might be what you need to do.  Hard drives do fail after a while.

Good luck.

#13 JohnC_21

JohnC_21

• Members
  • 23,269 posts
  •  

Posted 08 June 2014 - 11:05 AM

If BIOS sees it and Windows does not, you may be able to see if Linux can see and mount the drive but I doubt it. I believe you are on a Windows 8 computer. You can download Fatdog64 which can boot UEFI and with SecureBoot enabled. You will need software that can burn an image file like Imgburn. If you install Imgburn make sure you take note of the additional software it wants to install and opt-out. I know Windows 7 can burn an iso by doubleclicking but am not sure of Windows 8

Boot Fatdog, After you see the desktop, attach your external USB drive. If Fatdog detects it an USB icon will appear in the lower left of the desktop. Click once on the icon. Fatdog will try to mount the drive. If it can mount, a File Manager Window will open showing the contents of the drive.

Note: From your first post, I am not sure if you removed the drive from it's enclosure and have attached it as an internal drive. If that is the case the drive should appear as sdb1 .

On the internal drive named sda1, click once and another File Manager windows should open. Then you can drap and drop between the external and internal drives. Make sure you copy and do not move.

#14 MariGoddy

MariGoddy
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 26 posts
  •  

Posted 14 June 2014 - 10:55 PM

If BIOS sees it and Windows does not, you may be able to see if Linux can see and mount the drive but I doubt it. I believe you are on a Windows 8 computer. You can download Fatdog64 which can boot UEFI and with SecureBoot enabled. You will need software that can burn an image file like Imgburn. If you install Imgburn make sure you take note of the additional software it wants to install and opt-out. I know Windows 7 can burn an iso by doubleclicking but am not sure of Windows 8

Boot Fatdog, After you see the desktop, attach your external USB drive. If Fatdog detects it an USB icon will appear in the lower left of the desktop. Click once on the icon. Fatdog will try to mount the drive. If it can mount, a File Manager Window will open showing the contents of the drive.

Thank you JohnC, I will try that! I've had good success with Linux in the past.

It sounds like the BIOS detects the drive's controller, but when Windows attempts to access the physical drive, it can't.  You can buy 1 TB hard drives for around $60 these days, so it sounds like that might be what you need to do.  Hard drives do fail after a while.

Good luck.

I don't mind buying a 1TB drive but given that I had a (mostly) good 500 GB just sitting around, I figured why not try to get some extra drive space out of it. And again, there is some stuff I'd like to try and preserve from that drive if WIndows is able to detect it.

#15 MariGoddy

MariGoddy
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 26 posts
  •  

Posted 17 June 2014 - 01:01 PM

Well something very strange happened just now. I was looking into the suggestion about downloading Fatdog64 when Windows 8 finally saw the drive and it connected like any other. Converted it to NFTS without deleting the data. Then I shut the computer down for lunch, turned it back on an hour later, and promptly see DISK BOOT FAILURE...wtf? I restart the machine and now the MBR is messed up?

I have no idea where this came from, but I own 2 recovery disks - one for XP,Vista, and Windows 7 and another I made with System Recovery from this other machine which uses Windows 8.1 as my machine does. I insert the Win 8 disk only to get a floppy disk error (no clue as to why) so I try the other CD instead. and it promptly reveals that I have No Operating System. Every hard drive in my machine is missing but the smallest one which has no OS on it. Using command prompt does nothing as far as bootrec /fixmbr and bootrec /fixboot are concerned. Every attempt to repair there after shows one of the following errors:

"DISK BOOT FAILURE."

"MBR Broken"

"1. FD 1.44MB System Type-(00)"

...so this is what I get for trying to add a hardrive

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users