Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Novice Wordpress Question

• Please log in to reply
2 replies to this topic

#1 Plug 1

Plug 1

• Members
  • 17 posts
  •  
  • Local time:02:50 PM

Posted 29 May 2014 - 09:17 AM

Hi folks, I'm new.  Therefore pardon the idiotic question, but I want to change my Wordpress theme on my site.  After endless pondering and hand-wringing, I've decided to go for it (and NOOOO, I'm not gonna use any of the ripped off, nulled crap out there).  

It's just one thing; I'm scared I'm gonna lose data.  Yes, this probably is a silly question<thus the title>but I really need to know that I'll be fine making the switch.

Waiting with bated breath for your generous answer, 

Plug 1

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 Martel

Martel

Drfixup Human Internet Solutions

• Members
  • 1,469 posts
  •  
  • Local time:01:50 PM

Posted 29 May 2014 - 12:18 PM

Hi Plug 1.

Im not sure what you mean by

" I'm not gonna use any of the ripped off, nulled crap out there"

On your concern of loosing everything

Backing up WordPress

http://codex.wordpress.org/WordPress_Backups#Backing_Up_Your_WordPress_Site

go to your dashboard

Be sure you are using the most current WordPress version.

To do that see your WordPress dashboard in the at a glance it shows the version and will prompt you to update if needed.

On changing themes in WordPress the only time I have had any issues when changing WordPress themes is with a theme that is not compatible with the current version of WordPress. Usually due to its writer not keeping updated.

Also, you may find that you need to modify your header pic or images that wont fit into the new theme.

You can always switch back to the theme that you had if you find that the one you chose doesn't act like you want.

Like perhaps the plugins you had been using suddenly quit when you changed.

You will find in the top right hand corner of your WordPress dashboard there is a help pull down.

From your sites WordPress dashboard

To change your WordPress theme

Click Appearance located on the sidebar

Click Themes from the pop up

choose add new or if you have themes that you have already downloaded choose one of those

Edited by Martel, 29 May 2014 - 12:43 PM.

#3 Plug 1

Plug 1
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 17 posts
  •  
  • Local time:02:50 PM

Posted 29 May 2014 - 11:41 PM

Martel,

Thank you for your prompt, in-depth answer.  I sincerely appreciate it.  

(I figured it was just a matter of me being a scaredy cat about changing my theme)

Thanx again.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users