Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Can I use F-Secure and Malwarebytes Premium at same time?

• Please log in to reply
14 replies to this topic

#1 TobyDK

TobyDK

• Members
  • 6 posts
  •  
  • Local time:03:30 AM

Posted 29 May 2014 - 08:05 AM

Hello, Can I use F-Secure and Malwarebytes Premium at same time?

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 bassfisher6522

bassfisher6522

• Members
  • 90 posts
  •  
  • Local time:08:30 PM

Posted 29 May 2014 - 08:55 AM

Yes...Malwarebytes does not interfear with other AV's or malware software.

#3 Will5200

Will5200

• Members
  • 141 posts
  •  
  • Local time:08:30 PM

Posted 29 May 2014 - 08:56 AM

This from the F-Secure forums: http://community.f-secure.com/t5/Security/Using-Other-Malware-Programs/td-p/2517

From what I can gather, they recommend not using other malware programs. I don't have experience with F-Secure, but other AV programs appear to work well with Malwarebytes. I currently use AVG 2014 and Malwarebytes Pro, and the combination is great for keeping the garbage off of my machine.

Cheers.

#4 TobyDK

TobyDK
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 6 posts
  •  

Posted 29 May 2014 - 09:26 AM

so does this Means that i can use it malwarebytes with f-secure?

#5 boopme

boopme

To Insanity and Beyond

• Global Moderator
  • 72,924 posts
  •  
  • Local time:09:30 PM

Posted 29 May 2014 - 10:21 AM

You can use both and I'd recommend the paid MBAM too.

You do not wat 2 AV's running at the same time.. MBAM is an antimalware ,different and can be used. I use an AV,MBAM and also SpywareBlaster.

Edited by boopme, 29 May 2014 - 10:22 AM.

How do I get help? Who is helping me?For the time will come when men will not put up with sound doctrine. Instead, to suit their own desires, they will gather around them a great number of teachers to say what their itching ears want to hear....Become a BleepingComputer fan: Facebook

#6 dc3

dc3

Bleeping Treehugger

• Members
  • 30,365 posts
  •  
  • Local time:06:30 PM

Posted 29 May 2014 - 10:25 AM

Just to augment what boopme posted.

IMPORTANT NOTE: Using more than one anti-virus program is not advisable. Why? The primary concern with doing so is due to Windows resource management and significant conflicts that can arise especially when they are running in real-time protection mode simultaneously. Even if one of them is disabled for use as a stand-alone on demand scanner, it can affect the other and cause conflicts. Anti-virus software components insert themselves deep into the operating systems core where they install kernel mode drivers that load at boot-up regardless of whether real-time protection is enabled or not. Thus, using multiple anti-virus solutions can result in kernel mode conflicts causing system instability, catastrophic crashes, slow performance and waste vital system resources. When actively running in the background while connected to the Internet, each anti-virus may try to update their definition databases at the same time. As the programs compete for resources required to download the necessary files this often can result in sluggish system performance or unresponsive behavior.

Credit for this information goes to quietman7.

Edited by dc3, 29 May 2014 - 10:26 AM.

Family and loved ones will always be a priority in my daily life.  You never know when one will leave you.

#7 TobyDK

TobyDK
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 6 posts
  •  

Posted 29 May 2014 - 10:26 AM

Ok, I already have bought Malwarebytes. Thanks.

#8 TobyDK

TobyDK
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 6 posts
  •  

Posted 29 May 2014 - 10:48 AM

IMPORTANT NOTE: Using more than one anti-virus program is not advisable. Why? The primary concern with doing so is due to Windows resource management and significant conflicts that can arise especially when they are running in real-time protection mode simultaneously. Even if one of them is disabled for use as a stand-alone on demand scanner, it can affect the other and cause conflicts. Anti-virus software components insert themselves deep into the operating systems core where they install kernel mode drivers that load at boot-up regardless of whether real-time protection is enabled or not. Thus, using multiple anti-virus solutions can result in kernel mode conflicts causing system instability, catastrophic crashes, slow performance and waste vital system resources. When actively running in the background while connected to the Internet, each anti-virus may try to update their definition databases at the same time. As the programs compete for resources required to download the necessary files this often can result in sluggish system performance or unresponsive behavior.

Does this means that it is not a good idea to have Malwarebytes with F-Secure?

#9 boopme

boopme

To Insanity and Beyond

• Global Moderator
  • 72,924 posts
  •  

Posted 29 May 2014 - 11:14 AM

No You can use MBAM
Using more than one anti-virus program is not advisable.. MBAM is NOT an Antivirus program, but an Anti Malware product.

Typically you can enable an antimalware product to work alongside an antivirus but not two full antivirus products.

Malwarebytes' is not an antivirus, it is basically a program designed to detect and remove infections that most antivirus programs tend to miss or are unable to remove. You should absolutely have an antivirus software along with a good firewall and of course a good antispyware/antimalware app like Malwarebytes'

How do I get help? Who is helping me?For the time will come when men will not put up with sound doctrine. Instead, to suit their own desires, they will gather around them a great number of teachers to say what their itching ears want to hear....Become a BleepingComputer fan: Facebook

#10 saluqi

saluqi

• Members
  • 571 posts
  •  

Posted 30 May 2014 - 05:09 PM

I have had the same question.  I am contemplating upgrading MBAM to the paid Premium version on my home computer, which is currently using Avast! Internet Security for AV function (etc.)  Just read a review saying that MBAM Premium includes a (not very good) antivirus function.  I'm well aware of the reasons for not having more than one AV program installed (whether or not activated) on any computer.

I've been using the basic, free MBAM for years - and likewise Avast!, which I upgraded to the paid Internet Security suite several months ago.  No complaints about either.  I've been using PCs since 1980, and mainframes since long before that, and have so far (knock wood) never had problems with malware or viruses on my own computers.  Did intercept a few before they did any harm.  My ISP has also been pretty good about intercepting E-mails containing virus payloads.

As always, thanks for enlightenment.

#11 boopme

boopme

To Insanity and Beyond

• Global Moderator
  • 72,924 posts
  •  

Posted 30 May 2014 - 08:37 PM

You're welcome!

#12 rockpile

rockpile

• Members
  • 2 posts
  •  

Posted 30 May 2014 - 09:38 PM

I work for an inernet help desk and we install F-Secure. We routinely uninstall other anti-virus programs that may conflict with F-Secure, but Mawarebytes is not on the "remove" list.

Edited by rockpile, 30 May 2014 - 09:40 PM.

#13 TobyDK

TobyDK
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 6 posts
  •  

Posted 31 May 2014 - 04:31 AM

I work for an inernet help desk and we install F-Secure. We routinely uninstall other anti-virus programs that may conflict with F-Secure, but Mawarebytes is not on the "remove" list.

Ok cool. I have malwarebytes Premium can i use that with f-secure too?

#14 dc3

dc3

Bleeping Treehugger

• Members
  • 30,365 posts
  •  

Posted 31 May 2014 - 09:18 AM

Yes.

Family and loved ones will always be a priority in my daily life.  You never know when one will leave you.

#15 TobyDK

TobyDK
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 6 posts
  •  

Posted 31 May 2014 - 09:19 AM

Yes.

Thanks. I will download it again and take a scan :D

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users