Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Windows Xp "stop Error"

• Please log in to reply
8 replies to this topic

#1 m.hoyer

m.hoyer

• Members
  • 43 posts
  •  
  • Local time:01:13 PM

Posted 25 May 2006 - 08:01 AM

I've had a problem with a 'stop error' for some time, which Windows XP keeps telling me is caused by an unknown driver. It's more of an annoyance than anything, but I can't figure out which driver is causing it. To the best of my knowledge, there's no malware involved - I've used CA Pest Patrol, SpyBot and AdAware to scan the system, but the problem persists. Occasionally it doesn't happen, but that's rare. Any suggestions on how to find and fix this rogue driver?

Thanks

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 Albert Frankenstein

Albert Frankenstein

• Members
  • 2,707 posts
  •  

Posted 25 May 2006 - 08:13 AM

Are you getting a blue screen?

Blue screens are often called 'Blue Screens of Death' (or BSOD) by users, and 'Stop Messages' by Microsoft. We need to know the exact message you see when you get the blue screen. We especially are looking for a set of letters and numbers about half way down the page that take this format:

0x0000008e

This is usually followed by a set of 4 simliar numbers in parenthasis. For now we just need the first set of letter and numbers (before the numbers in the parenthasis).

This will help you diagnose why you are getting the stop messages. Of course, anything else the message says will help diagnose it's cause also.

If your computer only flashes the blue screen for a split second and then reboots go to:

Start > right click on My Computer > Properties > Advanced tab > Startup and Recovery Settings

Uncheck Automatically Restart

Click Apply and then OK

Now when you receive a blue screen the computer will pause on it and you will have time to write down the message. You will have to reboot manually.
ALBERT FRANKENSTEIN
I'M SO SMART IT'S SCARY!

Currently home chillin' with the fam and my two dogs!

#3 m.hoyer

m.hoyer
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 43 posts
  •  

Posted 25 May 2006 - 12:40 PM

Yes, I am very, very familiar with the Blue Screen of Death. From the most recent 'stop error' screen

Technical Information:
***STOP: 0x0000008E (0xc0000005, 0x80576F73, 0xF6E6CAA0, 0x00000000)

Begining dump of physical memory ... etc. etc.

Thanks for your help!

#4 Albert Frankenstein

Albert Frankenstein

• Members
  • 2,707 posts
  •  

Posted 25 May 2006 - 01:10 PM

Yes, I am very, very familiar with the Blue Screen of Death.

Good deal! When we help someone we have no idea just how familiar they are with their computer. So, the answers you get may include some information you already know. Plus responses are also written for the benefit of the dozens or even hundreds of others who will read this thread who may not be as familiar with their computers.
~~~~~~~~~

Well, you are receiving an 0x8E stop error, which usually indicates defective RAM.

If there are two pieces of RAM you could always remove one and see if this issue persists. If it does, swap the pieces and try again. This would identify which piece of RAM is defective, if any.

If you care to test the memory:

Microsoft Memory Diagnostic
Memtest86

Edited by Albert Frankenstein, 25 May 2006 - 01:11 PM.

ALBERT FRANKENSTEIN
I'M SO SMART IT'S SCARY!

Currently home chillin' with the fam and my two dogs!

#5 ozymandiasism

ozymandiasism

• Members
  • 4 posts
  •  
  • Local time:12:13 PM

Posted 22 June 2006 - 05:52 AM

Hi there,

I keep getting the blue screen of death! I will start my laptop.... OS will boot up... to show the desktop for about a minute. Then the blue screen comes on. These error messages keeps occuring.

0x0000008E, 0xc0000005, 0x80576F73, the 4th set is different every time.

the first few times, I would have to restart the laptop manually. Then for some reasons, it would restart by itself about 10 seconds after the blue screen comes on.

I have no idea how to fix this problem!!! help would be greatly appreciated!!!

d

#6 Enthusiast

Enthusiast

• Members
  • 5,898 posts
  •  

Posted 22 June 2006 - 08:33 AM

As Albert suggested, if you have two sticks of RAM try removing one, then booting. See if the problem persists. If it does, switch the rem stick that is in the computer with the one you removed. Reboot.

Does the problem persist?

If it does not, you have found the bad ram stick.

#7 ozymandiasism

ozymandiasism

• Members
  • 4 posts
  •  

Posted 22 June 2006 - 12:37 PM

As Albert suggested, if you have two sticks of RAM try removing one, then booting. See if the problem persists. If it does, switch the rem stick that is in the computer with the one you removed. Reboot.

Does the problem persist?

If it does not, you have found the bad ram stick.

I have not had the chance to play with the RAMs yet. My computer seemed to be doing fine this mroning after a 4 hour rest. It did say "windows recovered a major error" or something. When I chcked the device manager, one of the USB mass storage unit has a check mark on it.....

I'll look more closely at home tonight... inbetween sleeps...

thank you

#8 Enthusiast

Enthusiast

• Members
  • 5,898 posts
  •  

Posted 22 June 2006 - 01:44 PM

When you say "check mark" are you describing a yellow or red exclamation icon or a questtion mark icon?

If so, go back to the device manager and delete the item/s that have those icons, reboot and allow Windows to reinstall them.

#9 ozymandiasism

ozymandiasism

• Members
  • 4 posts
  •  

Posted 22 June 2006 - 01:58 PM

the yellow exclaimation mark.

good idea.

actually, I'm not sure if I have the installation disk. Would it be safe to delete it if I don't?

I have some basic knowledge of the OS but defintely not an expert...

thank you!
d

Edited by ozymandiasism, 22 June 2006 - 02:00 PM.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users