Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

I386 File Question

• Please log in to reply
6 replies to this topic

#1 tupenix

tupenix

• Members
  • 15 posts
  •  
  • Local time:05:28 PM

Posted 25 May 2006 - 07:46 AM

My computer is a "handmedown" and is running xp pro sp2.(without cd-rom)
I wish to run sfc/scannow,and was wondering if i could get the I386 file from an xp home cd that i have left over from a previous system?

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 ThorXP

ThorXP

• Banned
  • 880 posts
  •  
  • Local time:01:28 PM

Posted 25 May 2006 - 02:17 PM

I have never heard of that. I really think the only way this is going to work is if you have the original cd rom or Windows Install software for this computer. Actually I would go see the person who you got this computr from and get the correct software so you will be legal.

#3 Enthusiast

Enthusiast

• Members
  • 5,898 posts
  •  
  • Local time:12:28 PM

Posted 25 May 2006 - 02:26 PM

There are more than likely numerous system files differences between Home and Pro, therefore I would advise against using any files on the Home disk on a Pro installation.

#4 tupenix

tupenix
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 15 posts
  •  

Posted 25 May 2006 - 03:40 PM

Thanks for the replies,i will give sfc scannow a miss then!
Looks like i will have to visit ebay for the xp cd rom!
(i assure you my xp is definatly legal)

Edited by tupenix, 25 May 2006 - 03:43 PM.

#5 ThorXP

ThorXP

• Banned
  • 880 posts
  •  
  • Local time:01:28 PM

Posted 25 May 2006 - 04:00 PM

If you got the computer without the Windows Software that is for the COA on the side you might consider it legal but I assure you Microsoft does not. When a computer changes hands all of the system software has to change hands also and if there is a physical manual it has to go with the computer.

#6 tupenix

tupenix
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 15 posts
  •  

Posted 25 May 2006 - 05:47 PM

That's Microsoft for you.

#7 Enthusiast

Enthusiast

• Members
  • 5,898 posts
  •  
  • Local time:12:28 PM

Posted 25 May 2006 - 08:04 PM

If you got the computer without the Windows Software that is for the COA on the side you might consider it legal but I assure you Microsoft does not. When a computer changes hands all of the system software has to change hands also and if there is a physical manual it has to go with the computer.

Actually, that depends if it is a retail copy or an oem version preinstalled on a computer assembled/manufactured by a computer assembler/manufacturer.

If you purchased a retail version of XP (or any other MS software), it can be reinstalled on a new computer providing you remove the software from the computer it was originally installed on or the computer dies.
Of course, you will have to convince MS that has been done when you activate the new installation.

An oem version installed by a manufacturer by image (e.g. Dell, HP, etc) is licensed to that particular computer - not to the computer owner and is not transferable to another computer.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users