Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Windows won't start.

• Please log in to reply
21 replies to this topic

#1 J Hog

J Hog

• Members
  • 8 posts
  •  
  • Local time:01:53 AM

Posted 28 May 2014 - 08:28 PM

I don't know if this the proper place on the forum for this problem. I've a Sony Vaio VGC-RB40 that will open Windows. I get a message that Window did not start successfully and the computer willnot go into safe mode.This is with nothing hooked but a monitor, a keybord, and a mouse. I'm a novice with computers. Is this something I can fix? Thanks.

Edited by Queen-Evie, 29 May 2014 - 11:22 AM.
moved from Windows Startup Programs Database to the appropriate forum

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 Queen-Evie

Queen-Evie

Official Bleepin' G.R.I.T.S. (and proud of it)

• Members
  • 16,485 posts
  •  
  • Location:My own little corner of the universe (somewhere in Alabama). It's OK, they know me here
  • Local time:12:53 AM

Posted 28 May 2014 - 08:55 PM

What version of Windows are you using? We need to know so your topic can be moved to the appropriate operating system forum.

#3 J Hog

J Hog
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 8 posts
  •  

Posted 29 May 2014 - 09:47 AM

I'm running the home version of Windows XP.

#4 cat1092

cat1092

Bleeping Cat

• BC Advisor
  • 7,015 posts
  •  

Posted 29 May 2014 - 12:29 PM

This is the first thing that I suggest you try.

Remove all power from the computer. Including the Ethernet cable, if one is connected. Press the power button & hold for 30 seconds to remove any leftover power. Then open the case & remove the CMOS battery (looks like a coin) & let everything sit for 15-30 minutes w/out powering anything.

Take this opportunity to make sure that the RAM (memory) sticks are seated well & check your drive cables, both data & power, make sure they're seated well on both the drive & motherboard. Look for obvious signs of wear. Check all of your other cables, including the one to the CPU fan. Loose or damaged/worn cables causes all sorts of issues. Inspect your main power cable good, the one that connects the computer to the power outlet.

By the time you check these things good, you can then replace your CMOS battery, but for the time being, leave the panel open for quick access until the issue is fixed. As we don't know yet if this is hardware or software related.

If everything looks good at this point, replug the power cable to the PC & outlet power, if there is an uninterupted power supply or strip, skip using this for the moment. Power cable to power outlet on wall only.

Now attempt boot & see if it happens again & report back.

Cat

Performing full disc images weekly and keeping important data off of the 'C' drive as generated can be the best defence against Malware/Ransomware attacks, as well as a wide range of other issues. 

#5 J Hog

J Hog
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 8 posts
  •  

Posted 30 May 2014 - 12:28 AM

No change... what now???

#6 Chris Cosgrove

Chris Cosgrove

• 6,754 posts
  •  
  • Local time:06:53 AM

Posted 30 May 2014 - 05:46 PM

Do you still have an install disc for XP or can you borrow one ?

If you have, you could try a repair install. Power up the computer, open the CD/DVD drive, put the disc in and turn off the computer, Then start it up with the disc in the drive and it should boot from the disc.

If it doesn't, you may need to go into the BIOS and change the boot priority order to make your CD/DVD drive first in the list. If you don't know how to do this, post back and we will talk you through it.

When the computer boots, it will ask if you wish to install or repair Windows. Choose REPAIR. It will then try to repair your installation. This may or may not work at the first attempt and it is worth trying up to three times. If it still hasn't worked, choose the 'Advanced options' and select 'Last known good configuration'.

That is enough to be going on with. If 'Last known' didn't work, post back.

Chris Cosgrove

#7 J Hog

J Hog
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 8 posts
  •  

Posted 31 May 2014 - 04:26 AM

I have a 2002 upgrade disk. BUT neither of my CD/DVD drawers will open. What can I do?

#8 cat1092

cat1092

Bleeping Cat

• BC Advisor
  • 7,015 posts
  •  

Posted 31 May 2014 - 11:35 AM

While the computer was open, did you check to see if the optical drive data & power cables were snug? Both on the drive & motherboard. I have a hunch it's the power cable, being the door won't open. 

I ask because, yesterday while installing a SSD in my Dell, needed an extra SATA power cable, there was one laying beneath the optical drive. However when plugging in the SSD to secure erase, it was a tight fit (short wire extension) & the one to the optical drive was loosened. Needless to say, I couldn't open the door because of this & ended up adding a splitter to one of my HDD power cables for power. 

That's what you should check for first in this instance. Make sure it has power. 

Cat

Performing full disc images weekly and keeping important data off of the 'C' drive as generated can be the best defence against Malware/Ransomware attacks, as well as a wide range of other issues. 

#9 nettechindia

nettechindia

• Members
  • 32 posts
  •  
  • Local time:11:23 AM

Posted 01 June 2014 - 03:28 AM

I think its the time to change your windows xp to windows 7 that would be better for you.

#10 cat1092

cat1092

Bleeping Cat

• BC Advisor
  • 7,015 posts
  •  

Posted 01 June 2014 - 02:07 PM

I think its the time to change your windows xp to windows 7 that would be better for you.

That may be true because Windows 7 is still supported, however that's not what the OP is asking. The OS in question is XP Home Edition & until that status changes, is what we're discussing. How to get it repaired to run. At the moment, getting the optical drive to work.

Here is the debate thread, if you wish to participate. I believe your intentions are good, just in the wrong place.

http://www.bleepingcomputer.com/forums/t/496246/end-of-support-for-windows-xp-sp3-is-april-8-2014/

Cat

#11 Chris Cosgrove

Chris Cosgrove

• 6,754 posts
  •  
  • Local time:06:53 AM

Posted 01 June 2014 - 05:08 PM

I have had two optical drives in my computers for quite a while now, and while I have had a  couple of drives up and die on me over the years i have never had two fail at the same time, that would be highly unlikely.

As Cat has suggested check all the cables to your drives - at both ends of the cables. Given the age of this computer these optical drives probably use IDE connectors and I have never known one of these become disconnected accidentally, SATA yes but not IDE, but check any way.

I am beginning to wonder if you have a PSU problem - that's the roughly cuboid bit at the top rear of your case where the mains power lead plugs in. Failing  PSUs are known for causing some very strange symptoms. I am not saying this is definitely the cause of your problems, so don't rush out and buy a new one. If you have a spare lying around, or if you can borrow one from a friend, a substitution test would be well worth trying.

Chris Cosgrove

#12 Fascist Nation

Fascist Nation

• Members
  • 110 posts
  •  
  • Local time:10:53 PM

Posted 01 June 2014 - 06:53 PM

Yes, I would ask did both optical drives work before this failure?  Of were both ODDs dead and you lived without them before Win XP also failed to load?

#13 cat1092

cat1092

Bleeping Cat

• BC Advisor
  • 7,015 posts
  •  

Posted 01 June 2014 - 11:26 PM

Yes, bad or dying PSU's can cause all sorts of strange issues, including BSOD's. If this is the case, it'll only worsen over time. I have such a computer in the corner of my workstation room. I thought it to be the RAM, as memory tests wouldn't complete. Being that the PC, one of the all-in-one (AIO) type units, has a notebook style PSU, I ran across a YouTube video on how to test it with a simple multimeter. Instead of the 18.5V that it's supposed to be putting out, it was barely over 16V, it was at that point I understood why the memory & other hardware tests were failing, the PSU was tapping out.

Given the age of the computer, 9-10 years old, it's highly possible that any component, including the PSU could be failing by now. Though it was advanced for it's day (having a SATA HDD), it's likely showing some signs of wear by now.

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16883102317

Fortunately, that's not an overly expensive component to replace in this computer. However, like Chris stated above, it may be best to try another, it can be from an otherwise scrap computer, just to make sure that the installed PSU didn't destroy other components. I've seen this happen & fear that it may be the case with the one that I mentioned earlier in the corner. There were many BSOD's & that's not good for components. However in my case, it may be a blessing, as the PC was crap from the day it arrived. Had to reinstall Windows 7 from the recovery partition just for the backup app to properly work (was using the inbuilt Windows Backup at the time), it would crash at slightly over 60% complete.

And sometimes the cause of internal PSU failures are the way they're installed. If it's in a position where the main wiring harness is cramped (against the side that doesn't open), this places additional stress on the wires, combined with heat, can cause premature failure. If this were the case, jiggling the harness while trying to open the optical drives may confirm it, by opening/closing during the movement. However, that would not imply that anything is fixed, rather the opposite, that there's one or more shorts in the cabling. If upon removal, the wires are damaged in an area away from where the harness enters the PSU, they can be repaired, but if it's at the entry, forget it.

My concern here is that I want to see you get your PC in working order w/out spending a fortune, which is why I agree with Chris, try another working PSU & see what happens. What I don't want to see & I doubt you do either, is for you to purchase a new PSU, only to find out the MB also needs replacement, which also fried your drives (HDD & optical). That would be an enormous amount of cash spent on what you could never retrieve, could really get a new budget model for the price of a total overhaul.

I've made the mistake once of pouring cash into a sinking ship of a PC & refuse to do it again. That why that HP in the corner may sit there until I decide to throw it into the recycle bin, the large one outdoors.

Cat

#14 J Hog

J Hog
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 8 posts
  •  

Posted 03 June 2014 - 12:16 AM

I fanally got one of the CD/DVD drawers to open . I don't have a a complete new Windows XP disk but an upgrade disk. When I try to use it to load a version of XP It says that I need a full version of XP  for it to upgrade. I finally got it in to fix and recovery mode. How long should that take before I would know it would work..If that wouldn't work, what's next???

#15 J Hog

J Hog
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 8 posts
  •  

Posted 03 June 2014 - 06:54 PM

Now I'm getting a blue screen That says "A problem has been detected and Window has been shut down to prevent damage to your computer UNMOUNTABLE_BOOT_VOLUME. Is this something I can take care of?

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users