Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Windows 8.1/Toshiba low quality sound

• Please log in to reply
2 replies to this topic

#1 wildcamljumpout!

wildcamljumpout!

• Members
  • 2 posts
  •  
  • Local time:02:57 PM

Posted 28 May 2014 - 08:11 PM

I have a Toshiba Satellite C55D-A5107 with a 750gb harddrive, AMD A6 quad-core, and 4 gig ram. It runs on windows 8.1 and uses Realtek High Definition Audio as its default audio drive. My laptop sounds like trash. The sound is so low quality it's practically akin to an AM radio. Using headphones doesn't fix the problem, it only puts the problem closer to my ears. Here's what I've tried and discovered thus far:

I've tried uninstalling the Realtek audio drive in place of other ones on the realtek website. None were helpful.

I've tried using an audio drive from Toshiba themselves. It wasn't compatible with my laptop, despite it being designed for my exact system.

I've tried uninstalling all audio drives and restarting my laptop. Most of the time it caused the system to default back to the Realtek drive, but there was one time that it ended up using default windows 8 HD audio drives (I don't know what caused it and I haven't gotten it to do this again since).

There is no headphone setting when the Realtek drive is installed, only speakers. The only time a headphone setting was displayed was when it used the windows 8 drive. Even so, this caused the headphones to produce no sound at all.

By checking the box under the enhancement tab in the audio settings that reads "Disable all sound affects", I noticed that it completely fixed the audio. However, this setting reverts constantly, even though the box itself remains checked. For example, whenever I switch to a different video on YouTube I have to uncheck and recheck the box to fix the audio again. 

I've been working to find a solution to this problem all day but, as luck would have it, I've made no progress. Somebody help me before I throw this thing into the ocean.

Edited by wildcamljumpout!, 28 May 2014 - 08:13 PM.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

m

#2 OldPhil

OldPhil

Doppleganger

• Members
  • 3,732 posts
  •  
  • Local time:04:57 PM

Posted 28 May 2014 - 08:56 PM

No help but known for lousy speakers!  I know I have a C855 stock speakers sound like mice in a tube!!!  I have a small set of remote speakers + ear phones, sound sucks but machine is great near two years not a glitch.

Edited by OldPhil, 28 May 2014 - 08:59 PM.

If you don't stand for the flag then you will fall for anything!

#3 wildcamljumpout!

wildcamljumpout!
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 2 posts
  •  
  • Local time:02:57 PM

Posted 28 May 2014 - 11:30 PM

The system itself is surprisingly great for its price, but I actually did find a decent fix for the sound in the form of DTS. It isn't perfect, but it is much much better!

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users