Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Security info / question ( Advice or Info please)

• Please log in to reply
7 replies to this topic

#1 AkKnowledge

AkKnowledge

• Members
  • 3 posts
  •  
  • Local time:09:42 AM

Posted 28 May 2014 - 07:44 PM

Hello, I hope all is well with everyone. I have been meaning to join a good computer forum group as I am interested in education and knowledge in respect to computers.

I am having an issue in my new household that I am not very comfortable with, I rented a nice room in a house with 4 other people, separate tenants. There are two individuals though I do not want to judge or anything but come across in every way, sketchy to say the least. I get along with them both so to speak, the one guy I talk with everyday, have coffee with, socialize etc. the other, not so much yet and I have the intuition to say he could be a little schemer if you will. 

Putting that aside, history lesson over lol, as I do not want that to cloud/effect the judgement of advice or help. 

Me along with 3 of the other tenants are connected wireless to the internet, these two individuals mentioned above have felt the need to feed Ethernet cables directly from the router through the ventilation system to there rooms. I found this to be a little suspicious, really no need for it, the one guy I talk with everyday and socialize with is a big gamer so I kind of understand his want to be connected to the land line. Anyhow, never the less this leads me to today's issue, I had to bring my computer downstairs to install a nice camera for my cpu, I had to connect both my cpu and the camera directly to the router via Ethernet cables. The tenant I don't know so well, came downstairs while I was doing it, he seemed all concerned about it and was eager to ask if I was doing something with or to the router. I said no, he said well I seen this IP address(mine/my computers) and the new device pop up on the network etc. just being all sketchy about it too. I know it is difficult to hack or really effect my cpu by just knowing my IP address, but the chance is there. Particularly if a person has the knowledge, I am not paranoid but I am also not naive. Plenty of people out there have that knowledge, lack the morals, character and values that makes that sort of thing fun, fulfilling or entertaining for them on whatever level and plethora of things they could be trying to do. What bothers me the most is not even that he was actually sitting around in the middle of the day monitoring the network, who was on it, maybe even what they were doing. What really bugs me is the fact that he can see the network like that, who is on it, what devices are on it or being installed etc. That is what concerns me, I mean I have seen it all when it comes to people, and I know the computer deviants, love to mess with peoples cpu, internet speeds, love the so called "control" and " power " they believe they have when doing this type stuff. 

Any thoughts, advice or information or possibilities in regards to my situation, someone might be up to, what they could possibly do etc would be greatly appreciated. 

Thank you for your time, 

Edited by hamluis, 29 May 2014 - 06:56 AM.
Moved from Win 7 to Gen Security - Hamluis.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 wpgwpg

wpgwpg

• Members
  • 1,149 posts
  •  

Posted 28 May 2014 - 07:51 PM

Do you have file sharing turned on?  If so, any folders you've marked as shared could be seen by others.  If you haven't done either of these, I'd say don't worry about it.

Everyone with a computer should back his system up to an external hard drive regularly.  :thumbsup:

#3 AkKnowledge

AkKnowledge
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 3 posts
  •  

Posted 28 May 2014 - 08:03 PM

I run windows 7 and I have my network set to public which turns file sharing, device sharing etc off automatically does it not ? I will check when I get back home though and make sure file sharing is off. 

But why can he see all that stuff and I can't ? I don't like that, it's like he is the network admin. The one guy was able to change the name of the network and change the WEP password to a network key. Is it possibly he's running a mini honey pot ? He is always telling me to get rid of my anti virus, firewalls and all that type of stuff, telling me it bogs my cpu down. shmeh. It's funny because the only thing that seems to bog down on my computer is running internet browsers, it is so choppy. It's decent internet too.  

#4 AkKnowledge

AkKnowledge
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 3 posts
  •  

Posted 28 May 2014 - 08:12 PM

Do you have file sharing turned on?  If so, any folders you've marked as shared could be seen by others.  If you haven't done either of these, I'd say don't worry about it.

I run windows 7 and I have my network set to public which turns file sharing, device sharing etc off automatically does it not ? I will check when I get back home though and make sure file sharing is off. 

But why can he see all that stuff and I can't ? I don't like that, it's like he is the network admin. The one guy was able to change the name of the network and change the WEP password to a network key. Is it possibly he's running a mini honey pot ? He is always telling me to get rid of my anti virus, firewalls and all that type of stuff, telling me it bogs my cpu down. shmeh. It's funny because the only thing that seems to bog down on my computer is running internet browsers, it is so choppy. It's decent internet too.

#5 wpgwpg

wpgwpg

• Members
  • 1,149 posts
  •  

Posted 28 May 2014 - 08:18 PM

I don't believe setting the network to public turns on file sharing, could be wrong.  All I got from your OP was that this guy saw your IP address.  That doesn't mean he can see your files.  It probably means he knows how to log on to the router; that will show the IP addresses of everything connected, but doesn't get into non-shared data.  Whoever set that router up will know how to get into it, and if the admin password was never changed, all you'd have to know the make and model.  

Edited by wpgwpg, 28 May 2014 - 08:19 PM.

Everyone with a computer should back his system up to an external hard drive regularly.  :thumbsup:

#6 Roodo

Roodo

• Members
  • 760 posts
  •  
  • Local time:07:42 AM

Posted 28 May 2014 - 08:57 PM

that's right, public cant share files or printers and connections by other computers are

blocked by default. Increase your firewall security if you like, other then that, no worry.

#7 buddy215

buddy215

• 13,196 posts
  •  
  • Local time:08:42 AM

Posted 28 May 2014 - 09:14 PM

As to 'choppy'....you could check the download speed, possible overheating and check for a driver update for

your graphics card.

I see you are in Canada, don't know if this site will work for you: Speedtest.net - The Global Broadband Speed Test

Check temps and other computer info: Publish a Snapshot using Speccy

Check for adware and malware: Malwarebytes Anti-Malware Free  AdwCleaner Download

Use CCleaner to cleanup the temporary files, logs, cookies, etc. Use the default settings. Pay attention while

installing and UNcheck offers of toolbars such as Yahoo. No need to use the Registry Cleaner tool and it has 

the potential of causing another problem. CCleaner - PC Optimization and Cleaning - Free Download

“Every atom in your body came from a star that exploded and the atoms in your left hand probably came from a different star than your right hand. It really is the most poetic thing I know about physics...you are all stardust.”Lawrence M. Krauss
A 1792 U.S. penny, designed in part by Thomas Jefferson and George Washington, reads “Liberty Parent of Science & Industry.”

#8 quietman7

quietman7

Bleepin' Janitor

• Global Moderator
  • 51,474 posts
  •  

Posted 29 May 2014 - 06:56 PM

Just because you are sharing a house, does not mean you have to share the same wireless Internet Connection. Why not get your own?
Windows Insider MVP 2017-2018
Microsoft MVP Reconnect 2016
Microsoft MVP Consumer Security 2007-2015 kO7xOZh.gif
Member of UNITE, Unified Network of Instructors and Trusted Eliminators

If I have been helpful & you'd like to consider a donation, click 38WxTfO.gif

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users