Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

16 Color Problem...again

• Please log in to reply
5 replies to this topic

#1 pseudo3d

pseudo3d

• Members
  • 3 posts
  •  
  • Local time:05:12 PM

Posted 28 May 2014 - 07:34 PM

OK, first things first. I use a MacBook with Boot Camp. It's four years old and I still use Windows XP. 

I installed Windows probably in early 2011, then again in 2012 or 2013 when it wouldn't boot for some reason, and then again a few weeks ago. See, for that one, I started with the dreaded "16 color low resolution" problem, and immediately took steps to fix it, mostly trying to remove all NVIDIA components (GeForce 320M, that's the one for the computer) and attempting to reinstall it through Boot Camp. Well, what I ended up doing was completely wiping out the Display Adaptors box from Device Manager, and I had a lovely high-res color screen again that was absolutely useless because it had no graphics card. So I reinstalled the system after my options seemed to be exhausted, one day later everything was back up again and got to enjoy the games I'd been missing. Guess what? Less than 2 weeks after my initial triumph, I got back in the same boat. This time however, I took note of what I had and what I didn't, specifically that Device Manager DOES show Display Adaptors, the graphics card, but the NVIDIA control panel was screwed (and remained that way no matter what I did). I really don't want to reinstall the system again, I really want to play my Steam games, and so forth. So, what do I do now? Any advice? Would Safe Mode fix anything?

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 cat1092

cat1092

Bleeping Cat

• BC Advisor
  • 7,018 posts
  •  
  • Local time:06:12 PM

Posted 29 May 2014 - 12:47 PM

Have you updated Boot Camp itself? This is has been reported to fix some of these type of issues.

http://www.macwindows.com/bootcamp3.html

We need to ensure that the MacBook end of the deal is right before proceeding with any XP fixes.

Cat

Performing full disc images weekly and keeping important data off of the 'C' drive as generated can be the best defence against Malware/Ransomware attacks, as well as a wide range of other issues. 

#3 pseudo3d

pseudo3d
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 3 posts
  •  

Posted 29 May 2014 - 02:30 PM

Yes, Boot Camp is up to date, it was from 2010, and it's successfully installed Windows no less than three times. 

#4 cat1092

cat1092

Bleeping Cat

• BC Advisor
  • 7,018 posts
  •  
  • Local time:06:12 PM

Posted 29 May 2014 - 09:30 PM

I have done some researching earlier when responding & again now, this appears to be an issue on Apple's end. This 16 bit color deal is also a widespread issue with Windows 7 running in Boot Camp. A couple of posts points toward installing Parallels Desktop, however this was sometime back, but does go to show that your issue isn't an isolated one.

https://www.google.com/search?q=how+to+correct+16+bit+color+on+xp+within+boot+camp&ie=utf-8&oe=utf-8&aq=t&rls=org.mozilla:en-US:official&client=firefox-a&channel=sb#channel=sb&q=how+to+correct+16+bit+color+on+xp+with+boot+camp&rls=org.mozilla:en-US:official&spell=1

What I was in search for was a registry change that would enable 32 bit color, there is such as change to get 24 bit color in XP Mode, but have came up empty handed.

Have you attempted contacting Apple Support or their forums over this issue & if so, what was the recommended solution, if any? I have reason to believe this is an Apple Support, rather than a XP issue, as it's been years since I seen any 16 bit color issues in regards to XP, except with XP Mode, which is a virtual machine.

Maybe someone with a similar situation like yours who has dealt with this issue will step up & respond. To be honest, I haven't ran an Apple computer since the mid 90's (before the return of Steve Jobs in 1996), that was for employment purposes only & things has changed a lot since then.

Hope that you find an answer to this soon.

Cat

Performing full disc images weekly and keeping important data off of the 'C' drive as generated can be the best defence against Malware/Ransomware attacks, as well as a wide range of other issues. 

#5 pseudo3d

pseudo3d
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 3 posts
  •  

Posted 30 May 2014 - 07:15 AM

Well, 16-bit color is a different issue than 16 colors (4 bit). The x-bit, of course, is the exponent, so 4-bit color is 24, or 2x2x2x2, or 16 colors. 16-bitis thousands of colors.

#6 hamluis

hamluis

• 56,540 posts
  •  
  • Local time:04:12 PM

Posted 31 May 2014 - 09:43 AM

I would uninstall the current drivers (they may be damaged) and just reinstall from Drivers CD or website of manufacturer.

Louis

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users