Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Computer can't boot

• Please log in to reply
8 replies to this topic

#1 bilge6

bilge6

• Members
  • 27 posts
  •  
  • Local time:05:32 PM

Posted 28 May 2014 - 03:47 PM

When i turn on my computer, i get the error windows failed to start. A recent hardware or software change might be the cause. I have 8.1, and it recommended using the startup repair off of my USB installation, but it fails. It says File: \Boot\BCD the boot configuration data for your PC is missing or contains errors. I think the last thing i did was update my geforce drivers, and then didn't touch my computer for two days.
Thanks for the help

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 bilge6

bilge6
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 27 posts
  •  

Posted 28 May 2014 - 03:49 PM

Sorry for formatting i have been forced to write this on mobile.

#3 wpgwpg

wpgwpg

• Members
  • 1,149 posts
  •  
  • Local time:06:32 PM

Posted 28 May 2014 - 03:53 PM

I'd boot from a live CD like Linux Ubuntu or Mint and back up any data I didn't want to lose.  Then I'd get hold of the discs to restore to factory settings and use them.

When you've gotten your system back like you want it, I urge you to get yourself an external hard drive and a good 3rd party backup program. You can set it up to do everything automagically at the time and frequency of your choice. 1 TB external hard drives are about $60 these days and a really good FREE backup program is the Easeus Todo Backup Free.  That can save you a lot of time and frustration the next time something like this happens. Sooner or later it happens to all computers for one reason or another.

Good luck.

Everyone with a computer should back his system up to an external hard drive regularly.  :thumbsup:

#4 dc3

dc3

Bleeping Treehugger

• Members
  • 30,714 posts
  •  
  • Local time:03:32 PM

Posted 28 May 2014 - 06:06 PM

What is the make and model of this computer?

Family and loved ones will always be a priority in my daily life.  You never know when one will leave you.

#5 bilge6

bilge6
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 27 posts
  •  

Posted 29 May 2014 - 10:54 AM

What is the make and model of this computer?

Lenovo y470

I'd boot from a live CD like Linux Ubuntu or Mint and back up any data I didn't want to lose.  Then I'd get hold of the discs to restore to factory settings and use them.

When you've gotten your system back like you want it, I urge you to get yourself an external hard drive and a good 3rd party backup program. You can set it up to do everything automagically at the time and frequency of your choice. 1 TB external hard drives are about $60 these days and a really good FREE backup program is the Easeus Todo Backup Free.  That can save you a lot of time and frustration the next time something like this happens. Sooner or later it happens to all computers for one reason or another.

Good luck.

When I tried to go and refresh or reset my pc with the built in diagnostic tools, it said the drive Windows is installed on is locked.

Edited by bilge6, 29 May 2014 - 06:57 PM.

#6 bilge6

bilge6
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 27 posts
  •  

Posted 02 June 2014 - 04:23 PM

Sorry to bump but any ideas on how to fix it?

#7 dc3

dc3

Bleeping Treehugger

• Members
  • 30,714 posts
  •  

Posted 04 June 2014 - 12:01 PM

There is another route which can be taken.  If you backup all of your important data you can use the Onekey Recovery system.  This can be used even if you can't boot into Windows.

To back up the data you will need to purchase a external USB case for the hdd/ssd.  You can purchase on for as little as $7.99 with free shipping from Newegg.  With this installed and attached via the USB cable you can go to Computer and click on the external hdd/ssd and right click on files or folders and send them to a removable form of media, like a flash drive.

Once you have backed up all of your data use the instruction in the user manual which can be found at Lenovo.com on page 29.

Edited by dc3, 04 June 2014 - 12:03 PM.

Family and loved ones will always be a priority in my daily life.  You never know when one will leave you.

#8 bilge6

bilge6
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 27 posts
  •  

Posted 04 June 2014 - 07:23 PM

There is another route which can be taken.  If you backup all of your important data you can use the Onekey Recovery system.  This can be used even if you can't boot into Windows.

To back up the data you will need to purchase a external USB case for the hdd/ssd.  You can purchase on for as little as $7.99 with free shipping from Newegg.  With this installed and attached via the USB cable you can go to Computer and click on the external hdd/ssd and right click on files or folders and send them to a removable form of media, like a flash drive.

Once you have backed up all of your data use the instruction in the user manual which can be found at Lenovo.com on page 29.

I followed the instructions, which means that i pressed the onekey recovery button when the computer was turned off. The same problem occurs - windows cannot boot

#9 dc3

dc3

Bleeping Treehugger

• Members
  • 30,714 posts
  •  

Posted 06 June 2014 - 09:34 AM

Can you access the Recovery Options by pressing the shift key and F8 immediately after pressing the power button?

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users