Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

How to do a full system recovery?

• Please log in to reply
13 replies to this topic

#1 sinine

sinine

• Members
  • 160 posts
  •  
  • Local time:04:41 PM

Posted 28 May 2014 - 03:45 PM

I wanna start my computer all over. I've backed up my necessary files and all so I'm ready to delete everything from my computer and start clear.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

m

#2 hamluis

hamluis

• 54,865 posts
  •  
  • Local time:08:41 AM

Posted 28 May 2014 - 03:58 PM

Do you have a Windows 7 disk?

Is the system a laptop?

Does system have an optical drive?

What is wrong with the system...and what makes you think that a clean install is going to improve that?

Louis

#3 sinine

sinine
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 160 posts
  •  

Posted 28 May 2014 - 04:00 PM

I have a laptop. I don't have a disc. I've done the recovery once before without the disc (can't remember how I did it).

What's an optical drive?

It just doesn't work the way I want it to work and the way it used to work. I have no money to have a professional look at it.

#4 wpgwpg

wpgwpg

• Members
  • 1,149 posts
  •  
  • Local time:10:41 AM

Posted 28 May 2014 - 04:02 PM

Computers these days come with discs or a procedure for making discs to restore your computer to factory settings.  That is by far the best way to go since it eliminates the need to get all the drivers, helper apps, and utility programs that came with your computer.

We could be more specific, but you didn't supply any details about your make and model computer.

Everyone with a computer should back his system up to an external hard drive regularly.  :thumbsup:

#5 sinine

sinine
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 160 posts
  •  

Posted 28 May 2014 - 04:08 PM

my laptop didn't come with a disk. And my computer doesn't read disks anymore anyway.

I don't know the make or model of it...where on my computer can I check it?

#6 wpgwpg

wpgwpg

• Members
  • 1,149 posts
  •  
  • Local time:10:41 AM

Posted 28 May 2014 - 04:14 PM

The make and model should be on the bottom.  Since you say it doesn't read discs any more, you should invest $25 or so for an external CD/DVD drive.  Since you don't have the recovery discs, you'll need to create them according to the procedure in your user guide.  Since we don't know the make and model, we can't be more specific other than to say the user guide should be somewhere under "All Programs" in the Start menu.

Everyone with a computer should back his system up to an external hard drive regularly.  :thumbsup:

#7 JohnC_21

JohnC_21

• Members
  • 21,699 posts
  •  
  • Local time:09:41 AM

Posted 28 May 2014 - 04:15 PM

If the recovery partition is still intact on the hard drive you can access it with a key sequence at boot. What is the make and model of your laptop?

#8 sinine

sinine
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 160 posts
  •  

Posted 28 May 2014 - 04:18 PM

Okay I think it's asus k501j. That's what it says on the bottom.

But how could I do system recovery without a disc before then?

#9 TsVk!

TsVk!

penguin farmer

• Members
  • 6,230 posts
  •  
  • Local time:12:41 AM

Posted 28 May 2014 - 04:20 PM

Your computer will have a built in recovery partition. This is great because all of your drivers and Windows activation are all built into it....

Rather than type the whole thing out I'll just link you to a tutorial

#10 sinine

sinine
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 160 posts
  •  

Posted 28 May 2014 - 04:25 PM

I googled it before I came on here and found the link myself. Tried it. Didn't work.

#11 JohnC_21

JohnC_21

• Members
  • 21,699 posts
  •  

Posted 28 May 2014 - 04:35 PM

For the factory reset try tapping F9 at boot.

http://support.asus.com/Troubleshooting/detail.aspx?SLanguage=en&p=3&m=K50IJ&s=188&hashedid=ZWrNVPXEbNNTjJZg&os=8&no=1775

Edited by JohnC_21, 28 May 2014 - 04:35 PM.

#12 TsVk!

TsVk!

penguin farmer

• Members
  • 6,230 posts
  •  
  • Local time:12:41 AM

Posted 28 May 2014 - 04:40 PM

I googled it before I came on here and found the link myself. Tried it. Didn't work.

you went through the "Advanced Boot Options", and there was no "Repair Your Computer".???

#13 sinine

sinine
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 160 posts
  •  

Posted 28 May 2014 - 05:26 PM

Thank you, it worked!!! :)

you went through the "Advanced Boot Options", and there was no "Repair Your Computer".???

It's okay, I got it fixed now. Thanks. ;)

#14 JohnC_21

JohnC_21

• Members
  • 21,699 posts
  •  

Posted 28 May 2014 - 05:30 PM

Glad you got it sorted. Thanks for the update. You may want to look at creating a system image in the future using something like Macrium Free. It will let you create a system image and let you recover even if the computer does not boot due to malware or the hard drive becomes bad. It creates a bootable disk that would let you access the system image for recovery. The system image being backed up to an external drive.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users