Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

How to display bios screen on laptop with external display?

• Please log in to reply
2 replies to this topic

#1 Studlier

Studlier

• Members
  • 2 posts
  •  
  • Local time:11:51 PM

Posted 28 May 2014 - 03:11 PM

I have an ASUS K52F laptop running Win 7 that had a broken screen, so now I just use it with an external display. I figured out how to set it so it uses the external display, but problem is, it won't do that until Windows boots up. There doesn't seem to be a way for me to view the boot screens or bios screen.

I assume that if I could get into bios, then I could set it to only use the external screen, but since I can't see the bios screen, there's no way for me to change the settings.

Anyone have any ideas on how I can get this to work? The F8 button to switch to the external display only seems to work when it's already running in Windows. I've tried both the HDMI connections and D-Sub connections, and neither seems to make a difference ... they both only show something on the external display after Windows 7 loads and runs.

This laptop PC has an integrated Intel graphics card, and I also tried going into my Intel graphics and display screen and there seems to be no option to choose a default display there, other than the one that loads in Windows.

My laptop's specs are listed below and any advice would be most helpful!

BIOS
    Brand    American Megatrends Inc.
    Version    K52F.210
    Date    8/30/2010

Motherboard
    Manufacturer    ASUSTeK Computer Inc.
    Model    K52F (Socket 989)
    Version    1.0
    Chipset Vendor    Intel
    Chipset Model    Havendale/Clarkdale Host Bridge
    Chipset Revision    18
    Southbridge Vendor    Intel
    Southbridge Model    HM55
    Southbridge Revision    06

Monitor 2
    Name    L2410NM on Intel HD Graphics
    Current Resolution    1920x1200 pixels
    Work Resolution    1920x1152 pixels
    State    Enabled, Output devices support
    Multiple displays    Enabled
    Monitor Width    1920
    Monitor Height    1200
    Monitor BPP    32 bits per pixel
    Monitor Frequency    59 Hz
    Device    \\.\DISPLAY1\Monitor1

Intel HD Graphics
    Manufacturer    Intel
    Model    HD Graphics
    Device ID    8086-0046
    Revision    19
    Subvendor    ASUStek Computer Inc (1043)
    Current Performance Level    Level 0
    Driver version    8.15.10.2418

Edited by Studlier, 28 May 2014 - 03:13 PM.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 wpgwpg

wpgwpg

• Members
  • 1,149 posts
  •  
  • Local time:12:51 AM

Posted 28 May 2014 - 03:18 PM

This sounds like a system dependent hardware function, so I'd check with Asus.

Good luck.

Everyone with a computer should back his system up to an external hard drive regularly.  :thumbsup:

#3 JohnC_21

JohnC_21

• Members
  • 24,854 posts
  •  
  • Local time:11:51 PM

Posted 28 May 2014 - 03:22 PM

I had this exact same issue with a laptop screen with a bad backlight. Unfortunately, I could never figure out how to get into BIOS. It did exactly as you say. The external monitor only comes on during the Windows boot. The Windows OS hands off the video signal to the external monitor so there is no way to actually see the BIOS screen. If anybody on the Forum knows of a way, I would be extremely interested. I finally purchased a new LCD screen and installed it.

Edit: This was on a HP laptop

And Welcome to Bleeping Computer

Edit Edit: I looked at your computer manual and you have a function key that can change between internal and external monitors. In the manual, it uses the function key and F8. It shows two monitors on the function key. Your function key may be a different number. When the computer boots, press the function key + F8 or whichever key has the two square marks on the key.

Edited by JohnC_21, 28 May 2014 - 03:45 PM.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users