Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

internet explorer, is this supposed to happen

• Please log in to reply
3 replies to this topic

#1 rp88

rp88

• Members
  • 3,022 posts
  •  
  • Local time:07:29 AM

Posted 28 May 2014 - 01:28 PM

i opened IE, or rather it was opened as my default browser today when i clicked on a link in malwarebytes, to go to this page

http://www.malwarebytes.org/antirootkit/

and when i tried to download i got a window dialog box saying "your current security settings do not allow this file to be downloaded" . i also found when trying to perform a google search through IE, just typing a phrase or word into the bar on the google home page and pressing enter i get the text displayed by IE, in small letters in the top left hand corner of an otherwise blank screen "please click here if you are not redirected within a few seconds" "here" taking me to the results page i would have reached in chrome or FF as soon as the enter key was pressed. I run internet explorer 10.0.9.......   and windows 8. I had manually set IE to the highest security setting under "internet options-->security"  to give internet set to "high, -appropriate for websites that might have harmful content,-maximum safeguards,-fewer secure features are disabled"   and "protected mode "enabled . this is the first time i opened IE since giving it those settings. I turned the security level down to "medium-high" and download was possible with google opening it's results pages in the normal fashion. has anyone else experienced these bizarre effects with IE on it's highest level setting, If anyone would care to go to "internet options-->security" and set it to high then report back if you experience the refusal to download stuff and the "please click here if you are not redirected within a few seconds" when you perform a google search it would be most appreciated so i know whether this is standard behaviour on IE's top setting or if it has only happened to me.

thanks

Back on this site, for a while anyway, been so busy the last year.

My systems:2 laptops, intel i3 processors, windows 8.1 installed on the hard-drive and linux mint 17.3 MATE installed to USB

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 TsVk!

TsVk!

penguin farmer

• Members
  • 6,233 posts
  •  
  • Local time:05:29 PM

Posted 28 May 2014 - 02:34 PM

Here's an older list of what to expect from your browser with these settings. Most of it will still be valid.

It appears your browser is doing exactly what it is supposed to do.

#3 rp88

rp88
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 3,022 posts
  •  
  • Local time:07:29 AM

Posted 28 May 2014 - 05:09 PM

that looks to include the download blocking, not sure what the technical term would be for the bizarre "click here if not redirected" thing so i can't tell if that is on the list though. I almost never use IE so the settings aren't a trouble for me but it struck me as rather strange when they happened. thanks.

Back on this site, for a while anyway, been so busy the last year.

My systems:2 laptops, intel i3 processors, windows 8.1 installed on the hard-drive and linux mint 17.3 MATE installed to USB

#4 TsVk!

TsVk!

penguin farmer

• Members
  • 6,233 posts
  •  
  • Local time:05:29 PM

Posted 28 May 2014 - 05:19 PM

You're welcome.

I find IE a bit clunky too, I never use it.

:hello:

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users