Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Resetting Back to Factory Settings - Stuck Help please

• Please log in to reply
16 replies to this topic

#1 Pat17

Pat17

• Members
  • 8 posts
  •  
  • Local time:10:57 AM

Posted 28 May 2014 - 01:07 PM

Hello,

Newbe here.  I was wondering if anyone can help me with resetting my Dell XPS (2005) with Windows XP OS? 

I am reinstalling the OS manually with the CD that came with the computor.  I followed the instructions for a manual restart and added the first disc Dell XP OS all was going well when a window poped up.  It says "the file 'ha20x2k.sys' on Creative Installer CD-Rom is needed."  "type in the path where the file is located and click ok."  Well I am assuming they mean the Creative Sound Blaster X-fi cd and I put it in and nothing happens.  Also the arrow/cursor doesn't move nor can I type anything in, what I am doing wrong?  The window also doesn't let me see if time is elapsing on the installation of the first CD.

HELP!

Thanks

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

m

#2 ElfBane

ElfBane

• Members
  • 775 posts
  •  
  • Local time:11:57 AM

Posted 28 May 2014 - 01:39 PM

Has the OS already loaded... and now you are installing the driver suite?

#3 cat1092

cat1092

Bleeping Cat

• BC Advisor
  • 6,889 posts
  •  

Posted 28 May 2014 - 01:40 PM

Is this a XP Media Center Edition install? The reason that I ask is that it's the only XP OS (that I've installed) that requires more than a single reinstall CD.

If so, when these warnings appears, you need to stick a install CD with SP2 in (any XP SP2 CD will do), it'll prompt when to swap CD's again & which one.

Cat

Edited by cat1092, 28 May 2014 - 01:43 PM.

Performing full disc images weekly and keeping important data off of the 'C' drive as generated can be the best defence against Malware/Ransomware attacks, as well as a wide range of other issues. 

#4 ElfBane

ElfBane

• Members
  • 775 posts
  •  
  • Local time:11:57 AM

Posted 28 May 2014 - 03:35 PM

@Cat

What if the OP doesn't have a disk with SP2 slip-streamed on it?

#5 Pat17

Pat17
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 8 posts
  •  

Posted 28 May 2014 - 06:14 PM

Thanks guys, but I am still stuck.  I guess I don't know exactly what cd to put in, being the description on the pop up and the cds that I have are all different.  What exactly is the XP Professional Service Pack 2 CD, what does it do? 

Also  when it asks for the "Creative Installer" cd the arrow(cursor) won't move, but when it asks for the XP Pro Ser Pack it does.  Strange?

Thanks again. 

Edited by Pat17, 28 May 2014 - 06:36 PM.

#6 cat1092

cat1092

Bleeping Cat

• BC Advisor
  • 6,889 posts
  •  

Posted 28 May 2014 - 09:25 PM

Thanks guys, but I am still stuck.  I guess I don't know exactly what cd to put in, being the description on the pop up and the cds that I have are all different.  What exactly is the XP Professional Service Pack 2 CD, what does it do? 

Also  when it asks for the "Creative Installer" cd the arrow(cursor) won't move, but when it asks for the XP Pro Ser Pack it does.  Strange?

Thanks again. 

On certain XP installs (or reinstalls) such as XP MCE, the SP2 install CD is needed for a few flies. then you'll be notified to insert CD2, then back to CD1, whatever sequence your model calls for. BTW is that your OS? I asked in my first response but you never said one way or the other, this helps me & the community to assist you better. Plus your Service Tag number, which I've covered in more detail below.

As to the app you're mentioning, was it supplied on CD when you bought the computer, or however you acquired it? Seems that if it was required, it would be.

However, it being a Dell, you're likely very much in luck, as they have most, if not all, drivers & apps for most all of the computers they've sold since at least 2000. All you need is the Service Tag, there should be a sticker with it, it's above the Express Service Code & it's a 7 digit code. a mixture of numbers & letters. Enter that & you'll see your model of computer, with a drop down list of the factory installed OS's, choose yours & most all drivers & apps of importance will be listed. Some of these updated drivers you'll need anyway, actually all of them, the chipset being the 1st one. audio, video. Ethernet. whatever other hardware included, these drivers needs to be installed Prior to running Windows Update, as they're for proper function of the computer.

Seems that if Creative Installer is an important app, it should be listed.

BTW, if you can't get your hands on a install CD with SP2, you may want to try this. If the full SP2 package, but I haven't used that in this situation, as I have a Dell XP Pro SP2 reinstall & retail CD's for when needed.

And finally, after 30 minutes of research, here's your Creative X-Fi CD download. You'll have to scroll down the agreement & click "Agree" to get the download.

http://support.creative.com/Products/ProductDetails.aspx?catID=1&CatName=Sound+Blaster&prodID=19829&prodName=Sound+Blaster+X-Fi+HD

@Cat

Then one will need to be obtained, from somewhere. It can be a retail or reinstall CD of XP Home or Pro SP2, only a few files are needed. If one is going to work on computers, it's good to have these things on hand. Dell OEM XP Pro SP2 reinstall CD's (unopened) are carried on eBay with the qualifying hardware part (a RAM stick or power cord) for distribution for $15 or less, mine was $10 w/free shipping.

Google is our friend.

Cat

Edited by cat1092, 28 May 2014 - 09:26 PM.

Performing full disc images weekly and keeping important data off of the 'C' drive as generated can be the best defence against Malware/Ransomware attacks, as well as a wide range of other issues. 

#7 Pat17

Pat17
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 8 posts
  •  

Posted 28 May 2014 - 09:39 PM

Thanks again. 

On certain XP installs (or reinstalls) such as XP MCE, the SP2 install CD is needed for a few flies. then you'll be notified to insert CD2, then back to CD1, whatever sequence your model calls for. BTW is that your OS? I asked in my first response but you never said one way or the other, this helps me & the community to assist you better. Plus your Service Tag number, which I've covered in more detail below.

As to the app you're mentioning, was it supplied on CD when you bought the computer, or however you acquired it? Seems that if it was required, it would be.

However, it being a Dell, you're likely very much in luck, as they have most, if not all, drivers & apps for most all of the computers they've sold since at least 2000. All you need is the Service Tag, there should be a sticker with it, it's above the Express Service Code & it's a 7 digit code. a mixture of numbers & letters. Enter that & you'll see your model of computer, with a drop down list of the factory installed OS's, choose yours & most all drivers & apps of importance will be listed. Some of these updated drivers you'll need anyway, actually all of them, the chipset being the 1st one. audio, video. Ethernet. whatever other hardware included, these drivers needs to be installed Prior to running Windows Update, as they're for proper function of the computer.

Seems that if Creative Installer is an important app, it should be listed.

BTW, if you can't get your hands on a install CD with SP2, you may want to try this. If the full SP2 package, but I haven't used that in this situation, as I have a Dell XP Pro SP2 reinstall & retail CD's for when needed.

And finally, after 30 minutes of research, here's your Creative X-Fi CD download. You'll have to scroll down the agreement & click "Agree" to get the download.

http://support.creative.com/Products/ProductDetails.aspx?catID=1&CatName=Sound+Blaster&prodID=19829&prodName=Sound+Blaster+X-Fi+HD

@Cat

Then one will need to be obtained, from somewhere. It can be a retail or reinstall CD of XP Home or Pro SP2, only a few files are needed. If one is going to work on computers, it's good to have these things on hand. Dell OEM XP Pro SP2 reinstall CD's (unopened) are carried on eBay with the qualifying hardware part (a RAM stick or power cord) for distribution for $15 or less, mine was $10 w/free shipping.

Google is our friend.

Cat

Thanks for the reply.  My OS is Windows XP and my Express service code is 26536261357 the Service Tag is C6V06B1.  I have kept all the CD that came with the computer (it is the media edtion XPS 400 by Dell) and none of them say Service Pack 2.  As for the rest I will have to look into. 

Edited by Pat17, 28 May 2014 - 09:43 PM.

#8 cat1092

cat1092

Bleeping Cat

• BC Advisor
  • 6,889 posts
  •  

Posted 28 May 2014 - 10:00 PM

Then you will certainly need a XP SP2 install or reinstall CD to proceed. Over the years, I've done several of these XP MCE installs (one for myself) & can vouch that it's the trickiest of all XP installs to complete.

What I've never understood was, many of these computers were distributed prior to SP2, they installed then, why not now?

Here is the exact one that I have. There are brand new ones, but I guess due to demand, cost more. Again, the required component to ship is included & you're backed by PayPal. This is all you need to satisfy the requirement for the SP2 CD request when installing.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/DELL-Windows-XP-Professional-SP2-Reinstallation-CD-with-RAM/331215836100?_trksid=p4069.m2059&_trkparms=aid%3D111000%26algo%3DREC.CURRENT%26ao%3D1%26asc%3D27%26meid%3D7232357939503878347%26pid%3D100039%26prg%3D1011%26rk%3D4%26rkt%3D4%26sd%3D181422043029%26

Cat

#9 cat1092

cat1092

Bleeping Cat

• BC Advisor
  • 6,889 posts
  •  

Posted 28 May 2014 - 10:11 PM

Here is the Dell link for your drivers & some apps.

http://www.dell.com/support/drivers/us/en/19/ServiceTag/C6V06B1

You'll have to select "All related drivers for your product" to get the chipset, which is required & considered Urgent. Here it is, a separate download. However, you still may need to check that extended list for more drivers, it's just that the Chipset driver is the first to install upon booting the computer & it loads.

http://www.dell.com/support/drivers/us/en/19/DriverDetails/Product/dimension-9150?driverId=1DFNR&osCode=WW1&fileId=2731089248&languageCode=en&categoryId=CS

Cat

Edited by cat1092, 28 May 2014 - 10:14 PM.

#10 Pat17

Pat17
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 8 posts
  •  

Posted 29 May 2014 - 06:48 AM

Thanks cat1092.  I do have two cds from DELL that say "Drivers and Utilities"  but they are not accepted when asked for the service pack so I take it that it is not the same thing. 

Thanks again

#11 Pat17

Pat17
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 8 posts
  •  

Posted 30 May 2014 - 10:44 AM

Hello again

I was able to get my windows XP OS installed, but now I am missing the Ethernet Controller, PCI simple coms con, SM Bus con, Video con.  What disc are these on?  The OS system disc or drivers disc?  I don't need a modem the connection goes right to the ethernet to the comp.

Thanks

#12 JohnC_21

JohnC_21

• Members
  • 21,653 posts
  •  

Posted 30 May 2014 - 10:53 AM

You should have a Service Tag on the side of the computer. Go to Dell Support and copy that number in. You should get to a page with all of your drivers.

http://www.dell.com/support/home/us/en/19/Products/?IsTag=False&IsInvalidSelection=False

If you still have trouble getting everything, go to device manager and right click every device with a yellow exclamation mark. Select Properties and under the Details tab, select Hardware ID's in the dropdown box. Copy and Paste the first line of every device in your next post. Then we can determine exactly which drivers need downloading as sometimes Dell has multiple drivers depending on the motherboard they used.

ID.jpg

Edited by JohnC_21, 30 May 2014 - 10:55 AM.

#13 Pat17

Pat17
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 8 posts
  •  

Posted 30 May 2014 - 06:33 PM

Thanks everyone for the help!!!  I got it, the computer is reinstalled with XP OS again and I am conected to the internet.  So at least for awhile I can enjoy a decent running computer. 

Have a good all!!!

#14 cat1092

cat1092

Bleeping Cat

• BC Advisor
  • 6,889 posts
  •  

Posted 30 May 2014 - 11:13 PM

Hello again

I was able to get my windows XP OS installed, but now I am missing the Ethernet Controller, PCI simple coms con, SM Bus con, Video con.  What disc are these on?  The OS system disc or drivers disc?  I don't need a modem the connection goes right to the ethernet to the comp.

Thanks

You can often install these drivers from that Drivers & Utilities CD you mentioned earlier. Insert in into the optical drive.

Open the Device Manager, any that has missing drivers or with warnings, right click, choose "Update Driver" & when it comes to source, point it towards that CD. If that driver is on it, it'll install.

Some that were released after the computer purchase, just download from the Dell site as I stated in an above post, as did JohnC_21.

All the Best,

Cat

#15 Pat17

Pat17
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 8 posts
  •  

Posted 02 June 2014 - 06:54 AM

Thanks again Guys! 

That seemed to do it.  I was missing my SM Bus Controller for awhile and I had inserted every disc I had but no luck until I went to the Dell site and that did it. 

Although when I start up my comp I get a pop up saying Error in C:/Windows/System32/Spool/Drivers/W32X86/3/DLCDTime.dll Missing entry.RunDLLEntry
I don't know how important this is, I am willing to live with some imperfection if its too complecaited to deal with.  I am very happy with how its running now.  But any suggestion would be welcome.  This is kind a fun anyways I am leraning a few things and its like twicking an old car trying to get the most out it. 
I am thinking of going to Linux in time I will read the tutorial posted first so as to be more fimiliar with it.  Any thoughts on that too would be welcomed also do any of you think it maybe too complicated for a newbe like me who probably knows enough to be dangerous.  :)

Thanks again! 

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users