Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Upgrading to Windows 7

• Please log in to reply
8 replies to this topic

#1 ddibowski

ddibowski

• Members
  • 162 posts
  •  
  • Local time:07:16 PM

Posted 28 May 2014 - 11:48 AM

I have two PCs I would like to upgrade to Windows 7 64bit.  Both are currently running 32bit.  The desktop is a Dell Inspiron 530 running Windows Vista.  The laptop, a HP Compaq nc6400, is running Windows  XP.  I have run Upgrade Advisor on each. 

On the desktop Upgrade Advisor indicates I can upgrade to a 32 bit option but have to do a custom install for the 64bit option. 

On the laptop Upgrade Advisor indicates a custom install is needed for both 32 and 64 bit installs. 

My first question is - is Upgrade Advisor looking at my hardware and validating it will support a 64 bit install or do I have to do that investigation independently? 

Secondly my understanding of a custom install is it wipes out all files and requires complete reinstallation of all software.  I am running Microsoft Office 2007 on both PCs and do not have the installation CDs.  I purchased the desktop and the laptop was given to me.

What are my options or procedures for upgrading these PCs?

Thanks for your help.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 Roodo

Roodo

• Members
  • 760 posts
  •  
  • Local time:06:16 PM

Posted 28 May 2014 - 12:00 PM

You need to do a clean install of both computers. If you have the product key for office 2007

you can download office 2007 from Microsoft.

#3 kunalthechamp

kunalthechamp

• Members
  • 183 posts
  •  
  • Local time:05:46 AM

Posted 28 May 2014 - 12:25 PM

Answer 1: Upgrade Advisor scans your hardware, devices, and installed programs for known compatibility issues, gives you guidance on how to resolve potential issues found, and recommends what to do before you upgrade. So if it says you are ready, you are.

Answer 2: Like roodo said you can easily download office from the microsoft website and use the product key. If you don't have the product key, you can easily retrieve it from your current installation. There are multiple programs that you can download which will find this key for you. The one I can vouch for : http://www.nirsoft.net/utils/product_cd_key_viewer.html.

thanks.

If I am helping you with a problem and I have not responded within 48 hours please send me a PM.

Follow BleepingComputer on: Facebook | Twitter | Google+

#4 cmptrgy

cmptrgy

• Members
  • 1,655 posts
  •  
  • Local time:08:16 PM

Posted 28 May 2014 - 12:26 PM

You have two PCs you would like to upgrade to Windows 7 64bit. 

A Dell Inspiron 530 32-bit desktop running Windows Vista

A HP Compaq nc6400 32-bit laptop running Windows  XP

You have run the Windows 7 Upgrade Advisor on each computer

IMHO, the Windows XP computer is the limiting computer and I would stay with the 32-bit system

--- Do you know whether or not the XP computer is upgradeable to 64-bit?

--- Even if it reports it’s 64-bit ready, what is the maximum memory for the XP computer?

--- If the memory isn’t upgradeable to more than 4GB RAM, I wouldn’t consider 64-bit

--- Is there a compelling reason you want to upgrade to 64-bit?

Please refer to for more details

Upgrading from Windows Vista to Windows 7

http://windows.microsoft.com/en-us/windows7/help/upgrading-from-windows-vista-to-windows-7#T1=tab01

Upgrading from Windows XP to Windows 7

http://windows.microsoft.com/en-us/windows7/help/upgrading-from-windows-xp-to-windows-7#T1=tab01

Note: I have seen times the provided links don’t connect for whatever reason I don’t know why yet but if you plug in the title to search for, you will find those articles

On the Microsoft Office 2007, I just saw Roodo's answer and I'm saving that nugget of advice even for myself

Edited by cmptrgy, 28 May 2014 - 12:27 PM.

#5 ddibowski

ddibowski
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 162 posts
  •  

Posted 02 June 2014 - 10:42 AM

Thank you all for your responses. 

I primarily use my desktop.  So my plan was to upgrade the XP laptop first since I don’t have much on it not as much to lose if things went bad.  I downloaded the product key software and was able to retrieve the product key very easily.

It showed me the version of MS Office I have is Microsoft Office Enterprise 2007.  When I went to the MS Office 2007 download page, that was not one of the choices.  Is that going to be a problem?  (I think it is.)  This laptop came from a company that was purchased, so the selling company probably had an enterprise license. 

To cmptrgy’s questions –

--- I have run upgrade advisor and that indicates I could upgrade to 64 bit version of Windows 7.  I asked the question about was Upgrade Advisor’s indication that it could be upgraded to 64 bit good enough and kunalthechamp’s response indicates it is. 

--- I have 4 gig of memory and that is the maximum.

--- One reason for moving to 64 bit was because I thought it would make the PC run a little faster.  Another reason was to get experience on the less critical PC, so when I upgrade the Vista desktop I have done it before. 

Thanks for the links to those specific step documents.  I’ll print those out before I start. 

I appreciate everyone’s comments and any thoughts on MS Office Enterprise situation.

Thanks

Don

#6 cmptrgy

cmptrgy

• Members
  • 1,655 posts
  •  

Posted 02 June 2014 - 11:51 AM

Since both the XP & Vista can be upgraded to 64-bit and each one has 4GB RAM you should be fine

--- I'm also of the same mindset you mentioned: get experience on how a computer runs like that

#7 wpgwpg

wpgwpg

• Members
  • 1,149 posts
  •  

Posted 02 June 2014 - 12:30 PM

The Enterprise version of Office will not ask for a product key, so if you have the install media for it, you're OK.

When I'm installing Windows 7 on an XP computer, I partition my hard drive and install it in a separate partition.  That way I don't lose anything on the XP partition.  I still have to reinstall my apps, but at least I can get to all my data on the XP partition with either system.  Of course with XP being unsupported, you may not need it anymore - that's up to you.

Everyone with a computer should back his system up to an external hard drive regularly.  :thumbsup:

#8 cmptrgy

cmptrgy

• Members
  • 1,655 posts
  •  

Posted 02 June 2014 - 05:27 PM

I did a search for Microsoft Office 2007 download to select the product you have a product key for

http://www.microsoft.com/office/downloads/

--- Unfortunately and as you pointed out, Microsoft Office Enterprise 2007 isn't included

Since you do not have the Microsoft Office Enterprise 2007 install discs, you might have to contact Microsoft

http://support.microsoft.com/contactus/

I did a search for Microsoft Office Enterprise 2007  download and found

http://www.microsoft.com/business/smb/en-id/office/enterprise-2007.mspx

Maybe you could install the trial period and then apply your product key

--- Unfortunately this isn't a definitive answer but that is what you need to consider

In case it doesn't work out for you and you have to pay for a new product key, it might be beneficial to go with a less expensive version of Office 2007, or compare the cost of Office 2013 

#9 ddibowski

ddibowski
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 162 posts
  •  

Posted 03 June 2014 - 09:59 AM

Ok thanks for your comments.

I know where there is another laptop that came from the same company.  I can easily see if what that product code is.  If it is different, I might have a chance but if it is the same I think the answer will be it belongs to the company and I won’t be able to use it.  I’ll contact Microsoft using that link you provided. 

Good thoughts on what product to buy.  If I am forced to buy something, I should get the newest.   And I don't need the Enterprise version.  I wonder if they even sell 2007 anymore. 

That other laptop needs to be upgraded too.  I’ll see if Microsoft has any kind of household discounts, either on the OS or Office products.  It might be approaching a price where it makes sense to get a new laptop. 

Thanks for all your help.

Don

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users