Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Can't create a restore point in Windows 7

• Please log in to reply
6 replies to this topic

#1 Uncle Tom

Uncle Tom

• Members
  • 4 posts
  •  
  • Local time:05:49 AM

Posted 28 May 2014 - 11:20 AM

Recently updated from Windows 7 Home Premium to Windows 7 Professional.  Installed Virtual XP.  I don't have any restore points and can't create one.  I Get the message "The specified object was not found.  (0x80024308)".  I tried disabling antivirus, firewall, and malware programs.  Disconnected from the internet.  Tried to create a restore point after clean boot, ckdsk, and while in safe mode.  Same message.  Could there be a 3rd party software blocking my system restore other then what I've already mentioned?  Any suggestions?

Edited by hamluis, 30 May 2014 - 09:19 AM.
Moved from Win 7 to Am I Infected - Hamluis.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 wpgwpg

wpgwpg

• Members
  • 1,149 posts
  •  
  • Local time:07:49 AM

Posted 28 May 2014 - 11:28 AM

Two suggestions.  First run SFC.  Click Start and type CMD in the search box, then right-click CMD.EXE and click Run as Administrator.  Then type SFC /scannow.  It will run a couple of minutes.  If that doesn't fix the problem, disconnect from the Internet and temporarily disable your antivirus.  Then try creating a restore point.  Reenable your antivirus before reconnecting to the Internet.

`

Good luck.

Everyone with a computer should back his system up to an external hard drive regularly.  :thumbsup:

#3 Roodo

Roodo

• Members
  • 760 posts
  •  

Posted 28 May 2014 - 12:57 PM

check to see if system protection is on.

Control Panel>System and Security>System

in left pane click system protection

is system protection for drive on?

#4 Uncle Tom

Uncle Tom
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 4 posts
  •  

Posted 28 May 2014 - 02:57 PM

wpgwpg - Forgot to say that I also ran SFC /scannow.  Didn't work.  I did diable Avast AV and tried to create a restore point.  Notta.  Will try again.

Roodo - It shows Protection On for (C:) (System),  Showing Off for System.

#5 wpgwpg

wpgwpg

• Members
  • 1,149 posts
  •  
  • Local time:07:49 AM

Posted 28 May 2014 - 03:07 PM

I'd install the free version of MalwareBytes, get it up to date and then boot to Safe Mode.  Then I'd do a full system scan with both MalwareBytes and my antivirus.  I'd also make sure I had my data backed up because something's definitely amiss with your computer.

Good luck.

Everyone with a computer should back his system up to an external hard drive regularly.  :thumbsup:

#6 Uncle Tom

Uncle Tom
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 4 posts
  •  

Posted 29 May 2014 - 08:05 PM

Ran virus scans from MalwareBytes and Avast.  Still gives the same error ("The specified object was not found.  (0x80024308)").  Even CC Cleaner says that my Sytem Restore latest one is disabled for system safety. 

#7 JohnnyJammer

JohnnyJammer

• Members
  • 1,117 posts
  •  
  • Local time:09:49 PM

Posted 29 May 2014 - 08:43 PM

First see whats being shadowed

Run this command and display the results mate

vssadmin list shadowstorage >> C:\VSSShadow.txt

If you want to just delete all the shadow copies then run this command for C: drive, but just wait first)

vssadmin delete shadows /for=C: /all

Edited by JohnnyJammer, 29 May 2014 - 08:46 PM.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users