Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

AVG PC Tune Up slowed my computer hugely even after uninstalling- now impos2use

• Please log in to reply
4 replies to this topic

#1 frustratedlaptopuser

frustratedlaptopuser

• Members
  • 2 posts
  •  
  • Local time:06:26 PM

Posted 28 May 2014 - 10:24 AM

I had some viruses on my laptop so I downloaded AVG's free anti virus program to try to get rid of them. At the same time I was offered a free trial of their PC Tune Up program. It promised to speed up my computer, so i decided to download the two programs simultaneously. The laptop had been quite fast originally, in spite of the viruses, but since installing Tune Up, it became unbearably slow and impossible to use. Even the smallest task takes forever. It takes around 25 minutes to boot up (when it previously took 5) and it shows high memory usage (over 100MB) in internet explorer even when I am not doing anything! Task Manager (when I can open it at all) constantly shows between 65 and 100% CPU is being used, when just one window is open at Google. the thing is that only half of my memory is taken up as I barely have any programs installed. Just asking Internet Explorer to open can take 15 minutes and closing the page can take several minutes too. Once I'm on the internet, it can access some pages for a few minutes before freezing up and not responding again. On some pages, pictures will not download. I tried to restore my system to a point before Tune Up was installed, but the viruses I had seem to have deleted my restore points. I then uninstalled Tune Up which made it slightly better but not much. Thanks to Malwarebytes and AVG, my viruses are mostly gone (although there are a couple that can't be fixed), my computer is unbearably slow and I can only assume that Tune Up has messed up the registry. I did not imagine that a trusted brand that promised to speed my computer up would actually do the opposite and make it unusable. Ironically even in its previous state with viruses on it, my laptop was much faster than it is now. I was getting rid of the viruses for security reasons and not speed.

Is there anything I can do (other than a complete reinstall of Windows) that would restore my computer to a normal speed? Should I uninstall AVG's antivirus program too in case that is part of the problem (it was downloaded at same time as Tune Up and before that everything was working fine)? Your help would be hugely appreciated as I am beside myself with a laptop I cannot use. Thank you.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 wpgwpg

wpgwpg

• Members
  • 1,149 posts
  •  
  • Local time:01:26 PM

Posted 28 May 2014 - 10:30 AM

Ouch, I feel your pain.  Unfortunately XP has gone unsupported by MS since 4/8, so it's just going to become increasingly vulnerable to malware.  I take it you don't have your system backed up on an external hard drive either.  I think what I'd do in this situation would be to back up any data I didn't want to lose, then spend $100 or so for a Windows 7 or 8 install disc, and make the switch to a current supported system.  Personally I'd go with Windows 8 and use the free Classic Start with it to make it look and feel like earlier versions of Windows.

I have to add that a lot of XP users are going to Linux; mint and ubuntu are two versions (distros) you might want to investigate.

When you've gotten your system back like you want it, I urge you to get yourself an external hard drive and a good 3rd party backup program. You can set it up to do everything automagically at the time and frequency of your choice. 1 TB external hard drives are about $60 these days and a really good FREE backup program is the Easeus Todo Backup Free.  That can save you a lot of time and frustration the next time something like this happens. Sooner or later it happens to all computers for one reason or another.

Good luck.

Edited by wpgwpg, 28 May 2014 - 10:35 AM.

Everyone with a computer should back his system up to an external hard drive regularly.  :thumbsup:

#3 hamluis

hamluis

• 55,894 posts
  •  
  • Local time:12:26 PM

Posted 28 May 2014 - 10:32 AM

<<...my viruses are mostly gone (although there are a couple that can't be fixed),>>

I'd say that you need to take care of your malware problems...before anything else.

Topic moved to Am I Infected forum.

Louis

#4 frustratedlaptopuser

frustratedlaptopuser
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 2 posts
  •  

Posted 28 May 2014 - 10:51 AM

Thanks to those who responded. I know I need to resolve my malware problems, but the computer was working fine even with the malware before installing Tune Up. Has anyone else experienced the problem with Tune Up and what could it have done to my system to slow it down so much?

Meanwhile after a few scans I did recently, MalwareBytes and Superantispyware now show I have no viruses, but AVG shows a couple that it says it can't fix.

I'm thinking the only solution might be to install a new copy of Windows (I don't have a re-install disc and I figure that any recovery partition might be infected by the pesky viruses). If I did this would it guarantee the viruses were totally gone and would it resolve the slowness and any changes or problems Tune Up could have made for my system?

#5 Reillyp

Reillyp

• Members
  • 1 posts
  •  

Posted 16 August 2014 - 01:18 PM

Yes I just had the same experience. I used AVG tuneup for the trial period and then I decided I didn't want it so I uninstalled it. Now its far slower on boot up then it was before I used AVG. So whaterver AVG did they certainly did not leave my laptop in the state they found it. Very sinister .

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users