Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Restoring Files from a recovered Hard Drive

• Please log in to reply
8 replies to this topic

#1 thebetterman88

thebetterman88

• Members
  • 4 posts
  •  
  • Local time:02:35 PM

Posted 28 May 2014 - 09:04 AM

Hi,

I'm fairly new to working on computers and such but I have a question for anybody who has recovered data off a hard drive. I had an Asus laptop running windows 7 that crashed on a windows update. I couldn't boot into anything, and encountered a black screen. I ended up buying a SATA to usb adapter and transferring all the files off the hard drive and doing a clean install of windows. Now that I have the files back, I have no idea what to do with them. Its 18gbs organized into 3 groups, DATA, OS, and RECOVERY. I went through the files on all of them and I only recognized a few things under OSS were in program files. I can't find any documents or pictures I had on the desktop or anything really. Everything else is a confusing mess of system programs it appears. What am I missing here? Do I need to redownload the programs I used to have and transfer the data or what?

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 hamluis

hamluis

• 55,406 posts
  •  

Posted 28 May 2014 - 09:12 AM

What software did you use to transfer the files...and to what did you transfer them?

Did you clone the partitions or physically try to move them or copy them to said media?

Louis

#3 wpgwpg

wpgwpg

• Members
  • 1,149 posts
  •  
  • Local time:03:35 PM

Posted 28 May 2014 - 09:15 AM

You do need to redownload the apps and install any other apps you have on discs.  Your "My Documents" folder would be under x:\Users\yourid\My Documents and your Downloads folder in x:\Users\yourid\Downloads.  You can't copy Windows or apps files other than data because most of it is spread out over several folders plus the registry, hence the need to reinstall.

`

Good luck.

Everyone with a computer should back his system up to an external hard drive regularly.  :thumbsup:

#4 thebetterman88

thebetterman88
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 4 posts
  •  

Posted 28 May 2014 - 09:16 AM

I didn't use any software. I just plugged the dead hard drive into my other laptop and physically copied the data on the file explorer screen that came up. I didn't mess with any partitions.

#5 hamluis

hamluis

• 55,406 posts
  •  

Posted 28 May 2014 - 09:23 AM

As wpgwpg stated...you cannot just copy installed programs and system files...and expect them to work on a different hard drive or system.  Data files are the only files which can be treated that way.

Additionally...you may get an "access denied" message when trying to access any data files which are in the Documents & Settings group (My Documents, My Videos, etc.) but this can be worked around by Taking Ownership of those data files/folders.

Take Ownership of a File or Folder, Win 7 - http://technet.microsoft.com/en-us/library/cc753659.aspx

Louis

#6 thebetterman88

thebetterman88
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 4 posts
  •  

Posted 28 May 2014 - 09:27 AM

We'll since it was dead I just copied whatever data showed up on the drive. I understand now that I need to redownload apps and all that stuff. How would i transfer the data for those programs off the old hard drive into the new programs?

#7 thebetterman88

thebetterman88
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 4 posts
  •  

Posted 28 May 2014 - 09:45 AM

Ok just an update I looked for any sort of users file in the 3 main folders I have and I can't find anything. The closest thing I get to documents is off some program that was adware on the old computer. Searching for users in the data folders only seems to lead to local or roaming folders. Downloads isn't anywhere so it seems I have 18gb of useless data?

#8 hamluis

hamluis

• 55,406 posts
  •  

Posted 28 May 2014 - 09:47 AM

Data files are just data files...if you transferred them, they should respond to any newly installed program which might access them...unless they are damaged/corrupt.

Office files will respond to a newly installed version of MS Office...graphics files will respond to a newly installed graphics program...and so on.

Louis

#9 wpgwpg

wpgwpg

• Members
  • 1,149 posts
  •  
  • Local time:03:35 PM

Posted 28 May 2014 - 10:01 AM

It does sound like you might just have 18 GB of useless data, unfortunately.  :dance: This is why I always back my system up to an external hard drive. When you've gotten your system back like you want it, I urge you to get yourself an external hard drive and a good 3rd party backup program. You can set it up to do everything automagically at the time and frequency of your choice. 1 TB external hard drives are about $60 these days and a really good FREE backup program is the Easeus Todo Backup Free.  That can save you a lot of time and frustration the next time something like this happens. Sooner or later it happens to all computers for one reason or another.

Good luck.

Everyone with a computer should back his system up to an external hard drive regularly.  :thumbsup:

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users