Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Adding a user and Windows Live Mail

• Please log in to reply
11 replies to this topic

#1 joe_pau

joe_pau

• Members
  • 24 posts
  •  
  • Local time:03:39 AM

Posted 28 May 2014 - 01:34 AM

I have 2 user accounts, both using Windows Live Mail on A Vista Machine. Both users emails are not hotmail.com or outlook.com.  I've got windows 8.1 and I want the same set up, 2 user accounts ( I know how to set that up), so my question is, Is Windows Live Mail available for download on Windows 8.1? If not, what are some comparable programs? Thanks for the help!

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 kunalthechamp

kunalthechamp

• Members
  • 194 posts
  •  
  • Local time:04:09 PM

Posted 28 May 2014 - 03:31 AM

Windows Live Mail is 100% compatible with Windows 8/8.1. Check this link: http://www.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/compatibility/CompatCenter/ProductDetailsViewer?Name=Microsoft%20Windows%20Live%20Mail&vendor=Microsoft&ModelOrVersion=14&Type=Software&tempOsid=Windows+8.1

If you want to use other programs, there is Outlook 2013 (paid, comes with the Microsoft Office Suite), thunderbird (free from Mozilla)

Edited by kunalthechamp, 28 May 2014 - 03:31 AM.

If I am helping you with a problem and I have not responded within 48 hours please send me a PM.

Follow BleepingComputer on: Facebook | Twitter | Google+

#3 joe_pau

joe_pau
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 24 posts
  •  

Posted 28 May 2014 - 10:57 AM

Thanks Champ! It's good to know. I have some additional questions now. I've been reading about Windows 8.1 and RT and that they are not compatible with POP accounts. (http://windows.microsoft.com/en-us/windows-8/pop-email-accounts). If I get my ISP to change to IMAP, that solves it?

I want to end up with windows live mail on the 2 separate users "desktop" Sounds like the answer is yes but what's up with the incompatibility of POP accounts. I know my in-laws had to change their email address when they switched to Windows 8. Can you shed any light on this?

#4 kunalthechamp

kunalthechamp

• Members
  • 194 posts
  •  

Posted 28 May 2014 - 12:16 PM

Which email provider do you have? Most usually have the capability to function both as IMAP and POP. The settings you use to set up the email client will determine this. That's correct, windows live mail on windows 8/8.1 does not have the option to add POP accounts. Don't quote me on this but Windows live mail will soon be phased out, it was started as a light client for hotmail accounts. Outlook is definitely the superior client and has a lot of functionality that live mail lacks. I moved to outlook from windows live mail a few years ago and I'm glad I did.

Yes, you can easily set up two accounts on windows live mail (two ways to do this - set up two windows accounts so both the users have their independent settings, windows desktop, live mail etc etc, or set up two profiles on live mail). You don't need to change your email account entirely when switching to Windows 8! There are a lot of work arounds, the easiest one of course being using your email account as IMAP (hotmail functions both as POP and IMAP depending on the use). Your email provider most likely will have the option for IMAP, if not its easy to set up a IMAP email address (Gmail, Hotmail or similar) and just have email from your old account forward to this new IMAP account and set live mail up with this new IMAP account. Can walk you through it once you are ready to make the switch.

Thanks.

If I am helping you with a problem and I have not responded within 48 hours please send me a PM.

#5 joe_pau

joe_pau
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 24 posts
  •  

Posted 28 May 2014 - 01:54 PM

Thanks again Champ. I spoke with the ISP, Astound, and IMAP is not an option. I am intrigued by what you said "  just have email from your old account forward to this new IMAP account and set live mail up with this new IMAP account. Can walk you through it once you are ready to make the switch." How do I set this up? and I guess this means I can still use the astound.com email address?

#6 kunalthechamp

kunalthechamp

• Members
  • 194 posts
  •  

Posted 29 May 2014 - 06:21 AM

Yes, you can still use your astound.com email address. Let me know if I'm making sense below

Astound.com -> Only POP3 for incoming email

Another Provider (Best one I suggest is Gmail) -> IMAP

Sign up for a new account with let's say gmail. New email address -> joe_pau@gmail.com, old email address -> joe_pau@gmail.com

Set up new email address for outgoing and incoming mail on windows live mail using this one of many tutorial -> http://www.freeemailtutorials.com/windowsLiveMail/setupEmailAccounts/setupGmailAccount.htm

Set up old astound email address on windows live mail ONLY for outgoing emails (outgoing email uses SMTP so not an issue) http://www.astound.net/support/internet/email_help.php

To do this, leave the incoming server blank or a false address, example: none.myastound.net (actual being mail.myastound.net)

Go into Astound and have all your incoming mail forwarded to your new Gmail email address (when in Gmail, when you enable IMAP, make sure you choose the radio button all mail since the start of time and not new mail, otherwise you won't have all your mail in windows live)

If you did everything correctly, you should have your astound emails in windows live mail, now to send email from your old astound email address, when you click new email, there will be an option on the top 'From', click this and choose your astound email address when you send email, to make this easier you can go into settings and choose the astound email address as the default ID so you don't have to change this everytime

Let me know if it makes sense.

#7 joe_pau

joe_pau
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 24 posts
  •  

Posted 29 May 2014 - 02:45 PM

Not sure this makes sense to me but let's see where we go in this conversation. My question is, Will I still be able to receive and send from my astound email address? If I am understanding this correctly, I will have a "hidden" gmail account that will work seamlessly with my astound? Do my questions make sense? Thanks Champ

#8 joe_pau

joe_pau
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 24 posts
  •  

Posted 30 May 2014 - 02:20 AM

I read your entry again and it makes more sense to me. I will try this on my friends computer and let you know. Thanks for all the information

#9 joe_pau

joe_pau
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 24 posts
  •  

Posted 30 May 2014 - 02:23 AM

News Flash. Windows Live Mail will be going away. I'd like to steer my friend away from it. Do you have a tutorial like the one above that could show me using another mail client and how to do this setup? Thanks

#10 kunalthechamp

kunalthechamp

• Members
  • 194 posts
  •  

Posted 30 May 2014 - 02:31 AM

Depends on which email client you are going to use. You need to make this call, like I mentioned before your options are endless. Once you make the choice, I can guide how to proceed.

Free: http://email.about.com/od/windowsemailclients/tp/free_email_prog.htm

Five Best: http://lifehacker.com/5455741/five-best-email-clients

G Search: https://www.google.co.in/search?q=windows+live+mail+to+outlook&ie=utf-8&oe=utf-8&aq=t&rls=org.mozilla:en-US:official&client=firefox-a&channel=fflb&gfe_rd=cr&ei=rTKIU9WHMOiPiAfWxoDoDw#channel=fflb&q=email+client&rls=org.mozilla:en-US:official

#11 joe_pau

joe_pau
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 24 posts
  •  

Posted 01 June 2014 - 04:34 PM

Just spoke with Astound and they said you can use Windows Live Mail with Windows 8, even though it's pop3. Just install it on the desktop and away you go. I think the Mail App does not support POP3, but windows live mail will work! At least tomorrow I will see if it does when I go to install it. I will let you know. Does that sound right to you? Thanks Champ.

Edited by joe_pau, 01 June 2014 - 04:35 PM.

#12 AngryRaisin

AngryRaisin

• Members
  • 235 posts
  •  
  • Local time:02:39 AM

Posted 02 June 2014 - 03:30 AM

That is correct.  The mail app does not have pop3 support.  Windows Live Mail will install just fine on windows 8 or 8.1... but not RT.  In RT you would use Outlook that comes with it.

I have not heard of Live Mail expiring it currently ships Windows Essentials.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users