Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Not Responding Error Message/ Defrag Problem

• Please log in to reply
5 replies to this topic

#1 Toyoden

Toyoden

• Members
  • 27 posts
  •  
  • Local time:10:50 PM

Posted 25 May 2006 - 04:01 AM

Hi again, after some more help if it can be given, problems still with my XP HE SP2, 40gb HDD Pentium 4.
When going into my documents, where I store all programs, music folder, movies etc. As I attempt to del or sometimes try to open a folder or movie it freezes, have to ctrl + alt + del, then get the not responding error message etc, damned frustrating :thumbsup: . Also when I attempt to clean up my system, Disk cleanup and Defrag, my defrag is full of fragmented files even after doing a complete scan. Have had HJT log done, and as of yet the PC is still running slow as a turd going uphill :flowers: ?
Only program running that may be of concern is Warez, not the pro version, had Limewire, which was better but toooo much Malware. Warez tries to include a Dot.net but have not selected it for download. Still have two of everything when I open My computer to see what files are installed, something is really wrong, besided the buy a bigger HDD there has to be a solution.
Thanks in advance
Waz
ps. How do I find out what programs should be running when I use Task Mgr and I see the processes list running. At the mo there are 35 processes running, using up memory, need to check if system is using too many resources.
Copy of defrag result Volume (C:)
Volume size = 37.26 GB
Cluster size = 4 KB
Used space = 26.25 GB
Free space = 11.01 GB
Percent free space = 29 %

Volume fragmentation
Total fragmentation = 35 %
File fragmentation = 70 %
Free space fragmentation = 0 %

File fragmentation
Total files = 33,113
Average file size = 1 MB
Total fragmented files = 27
Total excess fragments = 55,914
Average fragments per file = 2.68

Pagefile fragmentation
Pagefile size = 767 MB
Total fragments = 4

Folder fragmentation
Total folders = 2,982
Fragmented folders = 1
Excess folder fragments = 0

Master File Table (MFT) fragmentation
Total MFT size = 77 MB
MFT record count = 37,034
Percent MFT in use = 47 %
Total MFT fragments = 3

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Fragments File Size Files that cannot be defragmented
3,934 499 MB \SDVDTemp\Lord of the rings - Fellowship of the ring part 1_1.vob
8,523 697 MB \Documents and Settings\Warren\My Documents\BIRDMAN MOVIES - Jeepers creepers 2 dvdscr xvid - Jeepers creepers 2.avi
8,954 700 MB \Documents and Settings\Warren\My Documents\Dvd - Jeepers creepers.avi
8,458 717 MB \Documents and Settings\Warren\My Documents\Km - Км - Syriana full.avi

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 jgweed

jgweed

• Members
  • 28,473 posts
  •  
  • Local time:09:50 AM

Posted 25 May 2006 - 07:40 AM

I have several suggestions that might resolve your problem.
1. Move as many of those large files (listed at the bottom of your post) onto disk and off your hard drive. Review your hard drive and look for files or folders that you can delete or archive to disk.
2. Use BC's Startup Programs database to review the programs you have launching every time you boot; this database will provide guidance about which of these are needed, optional, or not needed.

Regards,
John
Whereof one cannot speak, thereof one should be silent.

#3 Albert Frankenstein

Albert Frankenstein

• Members
  • 2,707 posts
  •  
  • Local time:10:50 AM

Posted 25 May 2006 - 08:28 AM

Dude you are SO infected! At least that is how it appears to me.

had Limewire

That is enough to infect you right there!

I attempt to del or sometimes try to open a folder or movie it freezes,

A possible cause is infection.

After following John's advice I would like to refer you to the HiJack This (HJT) forum here at BleepingComputer.com for help in removing malware from your computer:

First: Read the Preparation Guide found HERE. It is very important that you follow ALL of the instructions found within. (There are many important steps in this guide that may clean your computer.)

Second: Post your system information along with a brief description of the problems you are having, and your HJT log in the HJT forum found HERE.

NOTE: Please, after you post your HJT log DO NOT make another post in the HJT forum until it has been responded to by a member of the HJT Team. The first thing they look for, when looking for logs to reply to, is 0 replies. If you make another post there will be 1 reply. The team member glancing over the replies might think someone is already helping you out and will not respond. So, just make your post and let it sit there until a team member responds. The volunteers who work that forum are very busy, so please be patient and wait. It can sometimes take a few days for a response. If after 5 days you still have gotten no response, then post a link to your HJT log HERE.

Third: If, after finishing your work with the folks at the HJT forum you have issues with Windows related to the removal of the infection, then come to the other forums and let us help you get your computer back to normal.

You are in good hands! Good luck!

Edited by Albert Frankenstein, 25 May 2006 - 08:30 AM.

ALBERT FRANKENSTEIN
I'M SO SMART IT'S SCARY!

Currently home chillin' with the fam and my two dogs!

#4 Toyoden

Toyoden
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 27 posts
  •  

Posted 25 May 2006 - 10:02 AM

:thumbsup: Thanks people, will do as recommended, see how it pans out, and hopefully get my system back to normal. Cheers

#5 Enthusiast

Enthusiast

• Members
  • 5,898 posts
  •  
  • Local time:09:50 AM

Posted 25 May 2006 - 08:57 PM

How much ram is installed?
Your pagefile may be too small, depending on the ram.

It should be 1 1/2 times the ram and more if you run several aps at a time.

#6 Toyoden

Toyoden
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 27 posts
  •  

Posted 25 May 2006 - 09:26 PM

Hi Enthusiast, have got 512 ram, thought that was enough, once system is cleared, I am going to upgrade to 1024 and get a second HDD around 300. Just in case of a crash on the current HDD.
Thanks

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users